Booking thru consolidator or directly with pvp

Newbie41

Hi,

I went on my first cruise in April, 2012 and booked it with one of the cruise consolidators which turned out fine. After booking the cruise I discovered cruisecritic and realized a lot of people book their cruises directly with a Carnival pvp. Booking my cruise with a consolidator did not cause any problems for me, but I'm now second guessing doing that again because of all the great things I read about booking directly with Carnival. The other thing I want to add is that I'm aware that if you book with Carnival you will receive a price guarantee and if the price drops I would receive obc. In my case I don't see the price dropping because I am booking an aft wrap. Your thoughts please.

I'm guessing a "consolidator" is the same as a Travel Agent? Anyway.. our first cruise we used a TA, we had 5 cabins, but we were well informed and did all the picking and choosing before we ever set foot in her office. There were questions that came up where I knew the answers that the TA didn't. Basically all we did was sit at her desk while she called Carnival and told them what/where we wanted and booked it for us. We paid her the deposit and when the time came, we paid her our balance. In hindsight we realized she didn't do anything that we couldn't have done ourselves. Also, we had booked ES, but never received a price drop, I'm guessing because she didn't stalk the fareviewer page like I do each day :rolleyes:. Long story short... we did it ourselves this time. We were lucky enough to stumble upon a great PVP and have put in for many price drops ourselves. We have 14 cabins this time around and it was very easy keeping track of them online as well.

So long story short... I'll always do it myself from here on in. :)

Hi,

I went on my first cruise in April, 2012 and booked it with one of the cruise consolidators which turned out fine. After booking the cruise I discovered cruisecritic and realized a lot of people book their cruises directly with a Carnival pvp. Booking my cruise with a consolidator did not cause any problems for me, but I'm now second guessing doing that again because of all the great things I read about booking directly with Carnival. The other thing I want to add is that I'm aware that if you book with Carnival you will receive a price guarantee and if the price drops I would receive obc. In my case I don't see the price dropping because I am booking an aft wrap. Your thoughts please.

This is a personal choice. We have always booked directly thru the cruise line....If I know what cabin I want, I book on-line. If I need help or suggestions, I call their 1-800 number. I have read too many horror stories with people booking thru 3rd parties.

The reason you probably do not see price drops for aft cabins...I am guessing because they are so popular and so FEW of them, therefore they sell out quickly....therefore no chance on a price drop. If I am wrong, someone will correct me. :eek:

I'm guessing a "consolidator" is the same as a Travel Agent? Anyway.. our first cruise we used a TA, we had 5 cabins, but we were well informed and did all the picking and choosing before we ever set foot in her office. There were questions that came up where I knew the answers that the TA didn't. Basically all we did was sit at her desk while she called Carnival and told them what/where we wanted and booked it for us. We paid her the deposit and when the time came, we paid her our balance. In hindsight we realized she didn't do anything that we couldn't have done ourselves. Also, we had booked ES, but never received a price drop, I'm guessing because she didn't stalk the fareviewer page like I do each day :rolleyes:. Long story short... we did it ourselves this time. We were lucky enough to stumble upon a great PVP and have put in for many price drops ourselves. We have 14 cabins this time around and it was very easy keeping track of them online as well.

So long story short... I'll always do it myself from here on in. :)

Hi, A consolidator is one of the dot com sites that sells cruises. Anyways I think you are correct about the aft wraps selling out quickly and not having price drops. It seems obvious to me that they aren't going to drop the price on something they know is going to sell out.

Our very first cruise, we went thru a consolidator - what a clusterfug that was!

Since then, we have found a great TA that handles everything for us like we were doing it for ourselves and the perks she offers us makes her services worthwhile.

Should she ever leave, we will probably get a PVP or book direct online ourselves, but until then......

You should keep two things in mind: first, is your TA or consolidator knowledgeable? Can they answer any questions you have? And second: does it benefit you in any way to book with them? While TA's are not allowed to discount cruises (I have never see a discount over the fare quoted by the cruise line, but if I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me), many TA's will offer you inducements to book. These could range from a bottle of wine to a comped dinner at the specialty restaurant to my fave - OBC!

I book through a TA that works for a large agency. She has been awesome, last year for our HAL cruise, we received $375 in OBC or 10% of the base tariff plus a free dinner at Pinnacle Grill, worth $50. For our upcoming Breeze cruise, we are getting a $500 OBC, nothing else but I'll take the extra cash. You can use the OBC for your on-board tips, drinks, shore excursions, etc. This is money you would otherwise have to pay (charged on your account) on board, which you now don't have to, so you come out ahead. One thing you give up when booking via a TA is, if you have any questions on your rez, you can't call Carnival but have to go thru your TA. Some people do not like that. For me, since my TA is very good, its not a problem at all, she gets back to me usually in a couple of hours, often sooner. But it all depends on your own comfirt level...no right and wrong here.

I have seen considerable price drops on weekends.

However, if you can not get in touch with your TA

there is nothing you can do.

Most likely you would lose out on any price drops.

Carnival, or any cruise line will not talk to you,

if you book through a TA.

Personally I do all the research myself, then go

directly to the cruise line, and usually get a pretty

good deal.

But that is just me..

Hi,

aHI--WE HAVE 40 CRUISES ON CARNIVAL--AND HAVE ALWAYS BOOKS DIRECT WITH THEM----AND FOUND EVERYTHING FINE--THEY KNOW THE DISCOUNTS--I.E. SENIOR-MILITARY,FIREMAN---ETC. WHERE AN AGENT WILL NOT BE SO SAVVY-----IRENE AND JOHN

We always use a TA, only because of the little incentives they give. Although I know sometimes Carnival will give out incentives (OBC) as well depending on the cruise. With our upcoming cruise in October we got a $175 OBC through our TA. Also I have used our TA ever since our first cruise and really like her. She has always helped us with whatever we needed.

Archived