FLL - Best way to return rental car on cruise day

jarz85

Hey everyone!

We are hiring a car for a few days before our cruise on the Allure. Our plan is to drop the rental car off at the Airport before going to the ship. Would it be better to drive to the port, drop off my companions and the luggage and then I take the car to the airport and get a taxi back? Or should we all just go to the airport, drop the car off and get the taxi?

We have hired a car from FLL before but returned it in Miami. I have never been to the Port Everglades cruise terminal either.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Either way would work. The port and the airport are only about 2 miles apart. If you have many companions, and a lot of luggage, you may consider dropping them off first at the port. When we traveled, it was just me and my wife. So she went to the airport with me, rather than wait for me at the port.

There are some car rental companies with offices near the port, so you need not go back to FLL at all. We rented with Thrifty and returned our car to their office (combined with Dollar in the same building) at the entrance to Port Everglades, then took their free shuttle to the ship. Hertz, Budged and I think Avis also have similar setups.

Either way would work. The port and the airport are only about 2 miles apart. If you have many companions, and a lot of luggage, you may consider dropping them off first at the port. When we traveled, it was just me and my wife. So she went to the airport with me, rather than wait for me at the port.

Thanks. There is 3 adults so maybe 4 big luggage and 4 or 5 smaller bags. I think we will stick together!

There are some car rental companies with offices near the port, so you need not go back to FLL at all. We rented with Thrifty and returned our car to their office (combined with Dollar in the same building) at the entrance to Port Everglades, then took their free shuttle to the ship. Hertz, Budged and I think Avis also have similar setups.

Thanks for this. Was the shuttle fairly often? We want to be in the cruise terminal by 1030am ish.

Thanks for this. Was the shuttle fairly often? We want to be in the cruise terminal by 1030am ish.

It basically ran continuously. We were there at noon-1ish, and it was a bit of a madhouse in general (11 ships in port), so there was a bit of a delay as the shuttle made its way back thru the port, but considering the circumstances, it all was quite efficient.

I've used National which is one of a company or two that operate a shuttle from the airport to the port. Worked out pretty well to drop my wife at the pier, then go drop the rental car off at the airport and hop their shuttle back to the pier. Not all of the companies seem to participate in that shuttle though.

I've used National which is one of a company or two that operate a shuttle from the airport to the port. Worked out pretty well to drop my wife at the pier, then go drop the rental car off at the airport and hop their shuttle back to the pier. Not all of the companies seem to participate in that shuttle though.

Pretty sure alamo/national are the only ones who provide shuttle from airport. They use the same bus.

Thanks. I think I will drop the others off at the port around 10am... then I can drive to the airport and drop the car off. Then hop in a taxi and head back to the pier. I am not waiting for a shuttle... I wanna go ASAP !! :D

Thanks for your replies

Thanks. I think I will drop the others off at the port around 10am... then I can drive to the airport and drop the car off. Then hop in a taxi and head back to the pier. I am not waiting for a shuttle... I wanna go ASAP !! :D

Thanks for your replies

Last time I did it, I dropped the car up, went up the escalators to where the shuttle bus was, and it was just getting ready to leave. Didn't have to wait at all :).

Archived