Cavetubing Excursion (independent)

hun6903

I am a first time cruiser, and I am wanting to go on the Cavetubing excursion. Please give me the information for independent people to do this excursion with. Do you recommend going through Carnival, or going through an independent? Thanks.

Hi

We just got back from the Carnival Miracle Sunday May 8th. We were in Belize Friday May 6th and Booked our Cave Tubing through Carnival , it may be more expensive but well worth it...... The tour company met us at the dock and the 1 hour 15 minute bus ride was very informative.. We arrived and cold water was waiting on us... and they have a large changing and shower room.... ROGER our tour guide said they were NO insects and we took him at his word and did not put on Insect Repellent... and we DID NOT NEED it either........ But April and May are the Dry Seasons and you probably will need in rainy season..After a 30-40 minute walk we were at the Caves and and the Tubing began ..... it was great...... After about an hour ....we were back at the changing and shower rooms and you were able to buy t-shirts and etc. Lunch was included and we stopped at CHEERS and had rice and beans and chicken and cole slaw and lime aid or tea..... Beer and soda extra.. Food and lime aid were good... Then took Bus back to Dock .. This was a great shore excursion...........

Terry

We just got back from the Carnival Miracle and when in Belize we went cave tubing with Wet N Wild (website http://www.ecotoursBelize.com) It ended up that we had a tour with just myself and two friends, females our 40s and 50s. Charlie was our guide and was incredibly knowledgable about both Belize and our surroundings in the caves and rain forest. We asked a lot of questions and there was nothing that he couldn't answer. Our cost was $65 each (including lunch, which was wonderful with big portions and was conveniently located right on site.) A friend had taken the Carnival excursion a few weeks ago and it was $95 and a large busload.

One thing to pay attention to is the time in the confirmation e-mail....ours was in Central time, while the ship was on eastern time. It worked out fine....we were just there plenty early but could have slept an extra hour and fretted a bit less if I had been more attentive! We found someone in a Paradise by Air shirt (which they told us to look for) when we got off the launch and he took us personally over to the cabin where they are located. If you are concerned about not getting back to the ship in time, know that they were very aware of where the Carnival tours were at all times (or whatever cruise line is in port) and they know that they need to get you back to the ship on time (you all are cave tubing at the same place.) We even had a bit of time to shop. If the ship doesn't anchor or there is bad weather, they will give you a 100% refund (I believe the deposit was 20%.)

Bugs...not a big problem, though some dragonflies settled on me toward the end of the cave tubing. We decided it was due to my suntan lotion. I actually enjoyed it once I realized what they were....they were beautiful.

I definitely would recommend their company and Charlie specifically as a guide....we all left wanting to go back to Belize and go on their other tours. Rainy season starts soon and the waters will be up a bit and flowing even better then. Wish I could go back then!

We were in Belize last week as well and used Yhani through http://www.cave-tubing.com. Did a great job and would recommend to others. Cost was only $45 and did not include lunch. There were only 8 in our group.

The cost is $45 if there is a group of 5 or more. I was solo as my husband was scuba diving. Contacted Yhani and he said he could hook me up with another group so I could still get the same price.

Of all operators I believe this was the cheapest price.

Depending on what time of year you are going the excursion may be closed. Our guide told us during the rainy season (June - Sept) the caves are typically closed because the water level is so high.

I am going to Belize this summer with a bunch of friends and we are trying to decide if we should snorkel or go cave tubing. Cave tubing is something I have never done, but snorkeling is something I love and was very excited about doing in Belize. Has anyone ever figured out a way to do both? If not which would you recommend?

I recently tried cave tubing in Belize. While I enjoyed myself for the primary reason it was something new I had not done after 9 cruises, it also was not my favorite excursion ever. It is a "slow" excursion where I enjoy more active excursions.

Have you ever been to Belize before? If not, I would say then definitely snorkel. It's one of the better locations for snorkeling and I'd hate for you to miss out. If you've snorkeled before in Belize then perhaps you want to try something different.

I am not aware of an option that allows you to do both in one day. I did the cave tubing last week and the tour went from 9:30'ish - 3:30 by the time I got back to the ship. My tour did not include lunch either and some do. You arrive in Belize earlier than 9:30, but with the tenders that is usually the earliest you can started at best!

cpayne you mentioned that the Guide said that the caves are typically closed in the summer. Does anybody have more info on this...we are planning on being there at the end of August and would like to this but only if the caves are open. Floating down the river while relaxing, is something I can do here.

I don't have any more info about the caves being closed in the summer, but would suggest you contact one of the tour operators directly. They'd be able to tell you more I'm sure.

If the caves are not open the excursion does not exist at all. The river flows through the caves and if the caves are closed there is no option for getting around them to the other side of the river. Does this make sense?

Hope I didn't disappoint you!

Archived