Ventura Cruise Questions

kentona

Hi,

We are looking at booking a cruise on the Ventura, but have a couple of questions as being cruise novices (only cruise once before on the Grand Princess last year).

Would be good if someone could give us some advice on the following:

What drinks packages are availabile on the Ventura?

We have heard that it is hard to get a sunbed on sea days, is this true?

Also I know it depends on the weather at the time, but what are peoples experience of sailing through the Bay of Biscay in August on the Ventura?

Hi,

We are looking at booking a cruise on the Ventura, but have a couple of questions as being cruise novices (only cruise once before on the Grand Princess last year).

Would be good if someone could give us some advice on the following:

What drinks packages are availabile on the Ventura?

We have heard that it is hard to get a sunbed on sea days, is this true?

Also I know it depends on the weather at the time, but what are peoples experience of sailing through the Bay of Biscay in August on the Ventura?

Firstly Ventura is virtually identical in layout to Gran dPrincess but with an extra deck of cabins. There is a soda package available but dont know the cost, a coffee package for the cafe on deck 5 and wine packages in the main dining room saving you 15% off the list price. Drinks prices on Ventura are lower than Princess with no 15% service charge.

Ive always found its hard to get a sunbed on any ship on a hot sea day unless you rise early. They do take towels etc off beds which have clearly been reserved early in the day or even overnight. However, Ventura does not have the spa area at the front so this is open to all unlike the Princess versions of the same ship giving lots more sunbeds. Also, all balcony cabins have reclining chairs which is supposed to relieve the strain on the decks. However, if you want a cruise where it is easy to find a sunbed on a sunny sea day then you would need to be looking at the exclusive cruise lines.

Been on Ventura and Azura through the BOB in May with no issues but the bay can be unpredictable at any time but Ventura will handle it the same as most big liners.

We've cruised on Ventura three times so far and enjoyed them all.

Drinks packages: there are 'wine packages' - six selected bottles at a saving of up to 15% compared with the price of buying them individually. There are quite a few of these wine packages available.

Sunbeds: you can generally get a sun bed somewhere. It might not be next to the pool, but they are available if you keep looking: up high, or a long way aft! One advantage of Ventura is that there's an area on deck 17 which on sister-ship Azura is restricted and chargeable (The Retreat) whereas on Ventura it's openly accessible.

Bay of Biscay: it might just be good luck, but all our crossings of the BoB have been very calm. The one occasion we've had when Ventura was moving about most was passing through the Gulf of Sardinia, when she was banging and crashing into wave troughs at intervals during the night. But that was one night out of 43 that we've spent on her.

I've blogged from Ventura when I've been on her, and you might find the blog entries interesting. Here's link to a couple of pages about our cruises on Ventura: 2011 (central Med) and 2010 (western Med).

Many thanks for your replies - it has been a great help.

My wife has thought of a couple more questions:

Where is the main sail away party held on the Ventura? (We missed it on the Grand Princess as we were hanging around at the bar at back as there was a Cruise Critic Roll Call gathering although we never found that either).

Are there any other restaurants that you can eat in, in the evening that are free (besides the main restaurants or the buffet?)

Is it true that you have to pay for Ice Creams on the P&O too?

Thanks.

Where is the main sail away party held on the Ventura? (We missed it on the Grand Princess as we were hanging around at the bar at back as there was a Cruise Critic Roll Call gathering although we never found that either).

Are there any other restaurants that you can eat in, in the evening that are free (besides the main restaurants or the buffet?)

Thanks.

The main sailaway is at the Laguna Pool, which is the one without the retractable roof.

Apart from the buffet and main dining room, you might be able to get some pizza or a burger at Frankie's grill on the pool deck depending on how early you go. It usually closes at 6.

They usually have free ice cream in the buffet, but if you want to get a branded ice cream, that is available from Frankie's, and will cost you extra. They also have really nice sundaes, also for a fee.

Regarding soda packages, they are really quite poor on P&O, compared to the unlimited ones on Princess. You pay £30, and you get 20 pint sized glasses of soda. If you put another £10 on top of that, you get 20 soft-serve ice creams from the pool deck. They give you a little card which the waiters cross off each time you get a drink/ice cream. They gave me a P&O sports bottle when I bought mine, but it is not like the Coca-Cola flasks you get on Princess.

Free restaurants in the evening would be the 3 main dining rooms and the Waterside buffet. In addition the Beach House is a buffet during the day and turns into an american style waiter service diner in the evening. It is free in that most of the items have no charge but some speciality dishes are charged for.

For a taste of something try the Ramblas bar. It is not a cover charge restaurant but has a small dining area serving spanish food and tapas. Tapas is great at £2.50 for 3 dishes plus bread. You can eat it at the bar as well :D:D:D

Thanks.

The main sailaway party is held around the Laguna pool - subject to weather.

Other free restaurant is the Beach House Diner on deck 15 rear. Its waiter served with an American style menu. No reservations and it opens at 6:30pm. They will give you a pager if full. There is a supplement on 2 or 3 items such as fillet steak on hot rocks £6 but most are no charge.

Yes you pay for ice cream except in the restaurants where it is always available

Brian

When I cruised on Ventura it was in the Caribbean with a few sea days. On all occasions we did not have a problem finding a sun lounger, as other have said you just have to look a little way from the pool. When your in port you can easily get one near the pools.

The BOB is an interesting one. I have been through it a few times. Most recently in January on Fred Olsens Balmoral in gale force winds. To be quite honest as long as you are sensible and take some sea sickness tablets you will be fine. Ventura is more than twice the size of Balmoral and as your travelling in August its unlikely to be rough. Ventura is one of the smoothest ships I have been on, only beaten by the massive Oasis of the Seas. If your going through the BOB your going at the right time and on the right ship.

Ventura is my favourite ship by some margin and I have been on lots of the new ships and a few old ones. You will have a great time.

Never had a problem for sunbeds on Ventura, round the pool will always be busy but top deck to the front of the ship had loads, we took a walk up there one night and were gobsmacked at how many were there, its like a secret deck of sunbeds!!

We got the drinks package (wine) for approx £75 for 6 bottles - mixed, red, white and 1 rose

Hi

Once again thank you for your information. We have now booked our cruise on the Ventura.

Was just wondering about the Soda package does that include water or as the name suggests - just soda out of the guns (i.e. coke and lemonade).

Also how strict are the staff at crossing of your entitlement on the cards?

Hi

Once again thank you for your information. We have now booked our cruise on the Ventura.

Was just wondering about the Soda package does that include water or as the name suggests - just soda out of the guns (i.e. coke and lemonade).

I don't see why you couldn't get a soda water, since that comes out of the same 'gun' as the Sprite and Coke. You can always ask onboard.

I am not sure what you mean by ''how strict are the staff at crossing of your entitlement on the cards'', but if you are asking whether you can share the card between two people, yes you can. They only write your cabin number on the card, not your name. Another point to note is that it is just a piece of card, so take care of it, and don't let it get wet. They will not replace the cards.

The staff cross it off every time, but the soda cards are for large cokes or lemonades - if you want a small one they will only make half a cross in that box.

Hi

We always mnaged to get a sunbed but as others have said usually further back. I second Ramblas :) we ate there several times mmm creme brulee to die for. No problem crossing Bay of Biscay, we went in July.

We also enjoyed the spa and paid extra to use the thermal suite - well worth it:)

Hi All,

Just a bit of advice please - We are sailing on Ventura in August N220 and just wondered how we buy a wine package. How we we find what the choices are where and when to purchase.

Thank you :)

You get a list of the wine packages in your cabin. You can order it from your cabin steward. The list of packages is here: https://ask.pocruises.com/resources/carnivaluk/life-on-board/po_wine_packages.pdf

Archived