Hiking in Palma - bugs?

Depending where you go to, you could get mosquitoes. They tend to be around stagnant water. I would take an insect repellant with you.

Also, when hiking, be careful of any caterpillars you see – especially if they are walking in a line near pine trees. These are called ‘Processionary Caterpillars’. Do not touch them.

You can read about them here

http://www.grazalemaguide.com/nature-news/34-general-nature/175-beware-of-pine-processionary-caterpillars-.html

Thank you :) I have set out the repellant for packing.

Thanks also for the tip about caterpillars, I'd never have guessed caterpillars could do any harm :eek:

I didn't know about them either until we came to live in Spain. We have pine trees at the bottom of our garden (not on our land so cannot get rid of them) and we were warned about them when we moved here.

When people don't know how nasty they are, they are fascinated by them and often pick them up. Our neighbour did this, not knowing about them, and ended up at the emergency department of the local hospital.

I didn't know about them either until we came to live in Spain. We have pine trees at the bottom of our garden (not on our land so cannot get rid of them) and we were warned about them when we moved here.

When people don't know how nasty they are, they are fascinated by them and often pick them up. Our neighbour did this, not knowing about them, and ended up at the emergency department of the local hospital.

:eek: Oh dear!

Really glad you warned me.

PS

Had a quick look at your website - photos are great :)

Archived