Anyone here hike the West Glacier trail?

Skylarr29

Hello, just looking for anyone who has actually hiked the west glacier trail in Juneau. I've found a bunch of information online but I've found the amount of times listed to complete the hike vary drastically, anywhere from 3 - 7 hours!! We only have 7 hours in port. How long did it take you and how would you rate it's difficulty?

We hiked it as part of the guided hike to Mendenhall Glacier with the trek on the glacier (http://www.beyondak.com/glaciertrekking.html). From the start of the trail, it took us about 2.5-3 hours to reach the edge of the glacier, thus the 6 hours round trip if you don't walk on the glacier. The 3 hour figure must be one way. However, you can certainly turn around at any time and head back. If you only have 7 hours in port, I wouldn't recommend it, because the best part of the hike was the actual time on the glacier, which you would not have time for.

We hiked it as part of the guided hike to Mendenhall Glacier with the trek on the glacier (http://www.beyondak.com/glaciertrekking.html). From the start of the trail, it took us about 2.5-3 hours to reach the edge of the glacier, thus the 6 hours round trip if you don't walk on the glacier. The 3 hour figure must be one way. However, you can certainly turn around at any time and head back. If you only have 7 hours in port, I wouldn't recommend it, because the best part of the hike was the actual time on the glacier, which you would not have time for.

Thank you! I thought we might be pushing it so wanted a first hand review.

There is always the question of one's own walking speed. If you are in a group guided hike, you will be limited to the slowest speed a member of the group is able to do for that period of time.

This hike cannot be done on a 7 hour long port stop because (among other reasons) you have to be back on board at least 30 minutes before the ship leaves the dock.

Archived