Just back from Uniworld Paris Normandy May 25th

travelhelp

As promised, we have just returned from this wonderful cruise. Here are some thoughts and would be happy to answer some questions for a little while as many of you are planning or looking forward to your trips.

We left from JFK with a stopover in Dublin and the same in reverse using Aer Lingus which turned out to be a wonderful surprise. Easy connection, good price for tickets and surprisingly good food.

As for trip itself, the check in at hotel could have been better but not the fault of Uniworld. Hotel in good location, clean etc but staff leaves a bit to be desired. Uniworld's rep at the hotel was great. Did the best she could with what she had to handle.

Transfer to the ship was easy since we opted for a Sunday morning cruise on the Seine and were then brought to the ship where our bags had been transferred and ship was docked across from a lovely park that we walked around after a lite lunch in the lounge while they were preparing the ship for our departure later in the day.

We had terrific weather each day which added to the different ports.

Now for the trip itself. Well organized using these VOX boxes which make it very easy to hear and roam around a bit. The guides were all quite good, some exceptional and in one instance, we had trouble hearing one on the bus so we easily changed buses and all worked out fine.

We did not opt for any additional tours other than and one on the Seine in Paris which I don't think is listed in their brochure. Many people did enjoy the Moulin Rouge at the end of the trip but we found it to be a bit expensive and I think we might have done it ourselves on Sat night at the beginning without dinner.

The Monet Gardens and home are beautiful and it was crowded but just breathtaking. The crowds did not deter from the tour. It was great. The highlight for us was the day in Normandy. Very emotional and touching. We watched the movie, The Longest Day, a few weeks before we left and that really helped me...husband is a history buff but I sure benefited from the movie.

Other ports were great. A couple of afternoons on deck chairs just cruising and going through some locks we relaxing at just the right time since we were up and out most mornings for walking tours.

As for food, breakfast and lunch buffets were fabulous. So much to chose from and enough variety not to get bored. Tasted great too.

Dinner was a fixed menu with enough choices for everyone. Portions were not huge but we found that we really enjoyed that. Just enough to feel satisfied and not stuffed. Did order two starters one day when I couldn't decide.... no problem.

We had a late flight home and even though we had to vacate our room by 8am, we were able to have a relaxed buffet breakfast and even the light lunch offered to the next cruise as our transfer was at 1230pm to the airport. It was fun watching the next group come on board and we shared some experiences with them with lots of envy that we were not going along with them knowing that a wonderful time they were about to have. We met some wonderful people, shared travel stories and many other experiences. This is a wonderful way to see the world. Also, we were 114 passengers and 38 in help. The staff on this ship is exceptional. The rooms are small (very) but once you get past putting your things away, it doesn't matter AT ALL.

So.. hope this gives an insight as to our trip. It was our second one with Uniworld having done the Netherlands about 7 years ago. Can't wait to plan another one.

Happy travels to all of you

Sunny

Travelhelp, Thank you for your excellemt review. We are taking Grand France wich includes River Baroness in August.

A couple of questions; my mobility is limited, do they have walks which make sense, and do they have buses? We have a suite, so I'm not worried about the size of the room; what, however was your opinion about the refurb?

Lastly, how were the tours to Reims and, of course, Honfleur? Will I enjoy them if I can't walk fast?

Thanks

There were many people on our trip with canes and other types of walking disabilities and they did not have a problem with walking "fast". There were a couple of times when groups were able to select the bus that would be a gentle walk. One walk was defined as steep and my husband and I separated and he took the bus while I did the walk and that worked out fine. There was one couple with a wheelchair although she could walk a bit and she elected not to do only one trip if I recall. There is no elevator on the ship but there is a motorized chair that can be used. I saw the suite and it is lovely. It is on the level above the restaurant. The decor is very nice and the ship is laid out very well. Walking in Honfleur is fine. Typical seaside little streets in some areas but pretty flat around the main area. As I write this, I can't see your post so I hope I've answered your questions.

Archived