Penthouse Suite vs Family Suite on the Star

ilablyth

My two sisters and I have booked a family suite on the Star because of the size of the suite. Unfortunately it does not have a balcony, just a wall of windows. For several hundred dollars more we can get a penthouse suite with a balcony, but the room is smaller. Is there anyone who has stayed in both and can share an opinion on which you preferred. We are sailing from NYC to Bermuda.

My two sisters and I have booked a family suite on the Star because of the size of the suite. Unfortunately it does not have a balcony, just a wall of windows. For several hundred dollars more we can get a penthouse suite with a balcony, but the room is smaller. Is there anyone who has stayed in both and can share an opinion on which you preferred. We are sailing from NYC to Bermuda.

We've been in a family suite on the Star and a penthouse on the Jade. The penthouse will be smaller and you'll get the same perks. If a balcony is a must have, book the penthouse. We would book one of those family suites again in a heartbeat. The room was beautifully appointed and we found we didn't miss the balcony at all.

We were on the Star to Bermuda on May 27. We were in a DOS, but we had friends in an SJ family suite, and for three it would be far roomier than a penthouse. We have been in penthouse suites before, and they are great for two but more is not real great. We were so busy on most of the cruise that a balcony would not have been that much use. But it's your choice.:)

It doesn't have a balcony but you will have so much more room. There is only one bathroom but there are two sinks, a tub and a separate shower so two sisters can easily get ready at the same time. There is also a mirror in the main room with the hair blower. Each one of the sisters could have their own bed - sofa is a double bed and so is the murphy bed and the main bed is king size bed. Each bed can be curtained off so there is complete privacy. I'll add a few photos.....

P1030769.JPG

P1030770.JPG

P1030771.JPG

P1030772.JPG

P1030767.JPG

We have not stayed in a PH, but we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the family suites on the Star and have stayed in the same one twice. I didn't miss the balcony at all because there are the big, beautiful windows that you can sit or stand right next to and see right down to the water. If you have a balcony and are standing or sitting in your room, the balcony itself obstructs your view of the water down below. (I'm not talking about the water off in the distance, but the water right down from the ship.)

I will stay in a family suite on the Star again in a heartbeat, even if the family suite was MORE money than the other suites.

Ok, so I am an aft balcony junkie...yup, love them. You will have more room, but for me, a room without a balcony is not one for me. My DH and I did not upgrade to the DOS on the Star because it did not have a balcony (an aft balcony is equal to our private sancuary). I know you will get all diferent perspectives, but this is why there are different room types on ships. Everyone is not the same, or is what they are looking for in a cabin.

Good luck and happy planning!

Cherie

we were in 12512, there are 4 of the balcony penthouse suites on the Star. They are next to the family suites. Same size, and ever so nice. For three people they are perfect. The balcony had 3 chairs and a small footstool type table. We love having a balcony and this was perfect!! The bath is exactly like the family suite-well appointed and huge! You can't go wrong on this suite..

Dona :cool:

Archived