Luggage Dropoff - New Orleans

joshd33

So, here's what we are looking to do and I'm wondering if there's an easy/possible way to do this... We are renting a vehicle to drive down to New Orleans and will be dropping the vehicle off on Canal St. The rental place will be providing us with a shuttle to the cruise terminal. Will we be able to drop off our luggage with porters and then walk around New Orleans for a while? Or, once we drop off the luggage, we have to head inside?

Also, is there anything to see/do around the cruise terminal?

Hope this makes sense.. :)

-Josh

It's doable. It's been a while since we've done it. Last year we caught a taxi so we just went on in since we were spending a day after the cruise to hang out in downtown area. The Riverwalk Mall gives you access to the Port (if they haven't closed it). You can see your ship from the food court. Keep searching, I'm sure someone will update that information. But you could go all the way to the far end of the (2nd floor) and go through double doors, someone should be able to assist if you lose your way. When we did it, we were leaving our car at Harrah's for the week, so we dropped off the luggage, went back and parked the car and walked through the Mall which is right across the street from Harrah's. I don't know how early they will accept your luggage, since you've got folks coming out at the same time. But you could still get a few hours in the mall. There's an Aquarium downtown as well in walking distance.

Once they start accepting luggage you can leave yours. Last couple of years it seems to be around 10-1030 or so. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to Canal St and another 5 or so to Bourbon St. Are you leaving Sat or Sun? Makes a difference on what is available that early in the day. You should have plenty of time to take a few hours to roam around. You will have to take your carry on stuff with you and that can be a pain. If you plan it right it should be doable.

So, here's what we are looking to do and I'm wondering if there's an easy/possible way to do this... We are renting a vehicle to drive down to New Orleans and will be dropping the vehicle off on Canal St. The rental place will be providing us with a shuttle to the cruise terminal. Will we be able to drop off our luggage with porters and then walk around New Orleans for a while? Or, once we drop off the luggage, we have to head inside?

Also, is there anything to see/do around the cruise terminal?

Hope this makes sense.. :)

-Josh

Depends on your tolerance for walking and the time of year (heat & humidity). There's not much around the port except for the mall next door, and it's not that close. As others have said, you can walk through that to get to the base of Canal St. and from there into the Quarter. It's do-able, but I wouldn't say it's an easy walk, and you'll spend a lot of time getting there and getting back on foot.

A better option would be to jump in a cab at the port, and have them take you to Jackson Square in the Quarter - a good starting point. The cabbies won't be too happy about the short trip, though, but that's their problem.

Another option is a walk up Julia st and down Magazine st. to the World War II museum, if you're interested in that sort of thing. It's a little closer to the port than the Quarter.

You can drop your luggage off and then go do the touring. I see you are sailing in December, so you should not have a heat/humidity issue. Give yourself plenty of time for walking around.

What you can do is walk over to the Hilton and take the Riverfront streetcar into the French Quarter? It can drop you off at Jackson Square. Since the Saints have an away game, I don't think it will be very crazy downtown.

Finally, if you get deep into the Quarter and strapped for time, grab a cab back to the port.

• 3 weeks later...

I am wondering about luggage storage for the day of disembarkation as our flight home does not leave until 3pm early December. The Star is scheduled to disembark at 0800 which will be too early to head to the airport. Would like to spend the morning seeing a little more of NOLA so am wondering if there is a luggage storage place anywhere near the port?

Archived