Try again: POLL-Seasick remedies...

Which seasick remedy works best for you?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Which seasick remedy works best for you?

• Sea Bands
    • Ginger-ale, pills, altoids, cookies
    • Relief band
    • Bonine
    • Dramamine
    • Patch

i have found the solution to seasickness.....and i am one who used to get seasick, carsick, etc....the bigger the boat, the less seasick i am! only time on the explorer and the golden princess that i was even a little seasick was late evening (after dinner) in rough seas....otherwise it was not a problem...i am not sure that i could go back to a small ship where i got seasick every evening the minute we pulled out of port!

Good sailing to everyone!

Beverly

• 2 weeks later...

During a hurricane Alex last August, we used the sea bands, ginger (from the health store in a tincture) and motion eaze. Motion eaze is an essential oil you put behind the ears to calm the ear drum down. I used these for my 3 kids who all get terrible motion sickness in the car. These all worked like a charm. Not one complaint and no drugs for anyone :)

Bonnie reacts with the medicine I take. The seabands work wonderful for me. They even worked for my son. If I could find a pill to take that will not interfer with my medication I would gladly take it. It would be so much easier and not detract from my gown on formal night........

Sorry, forgot to click on poll option:

There are so many threads on this very topic, I thought I'd get the scoop in a clear and concise manner :D

It will be DH, DD (12) and DS (7) and me traveling. We will be on deck 10, aft and I don't want to be unprepared.

My concerns about a couple of these items:

Sea Bands-small enough for a child's wrist?

Relief Band-$80 each $80 x 4-$320 :eek:

Bonine/Dramamine-side effects

Patch-side effects and son is too young for it

So...I'm looking for your help and experiences!

You can vote for more than one remedy.

Thanks

Kim

Kim..you can get dramamine or bonine for children ,I believe. I gave my children the tablets for car sickness when they were little and they work great. they didn't have any side effects. I live in Canada now so we use gravol here. I think you can even get it in liquid form for little ones. Hope this helps.

I can get nauseated just saying the word.

Try salty foods,not sweet things. Soup and bread help me.Stand on deck and look at the horizon,get your equilibrium back.

On Majesty and Sovereign they had free Bonine in the medical center,a dish of it sits out for you to help yourself. Thankfully I have not needed it. Which amazes me,as I always have had a problem with motion sickness and inner ear/balance problems. I never thought to take it after I get home,which is when I really feel the ship moving......

I get motion sickness in the car, airplane, small boats, etc. Even non-drowsy formulas make me sleepy. The best I've found is the free seasickness pills that I have gotten from the pursers desk. It's been two years since I've been on a cruise but I am assuming they still give out the pills. I'd better find out for myself since I leave in a month for my sixth cruise. I've gotten them on every other ship I've been on.

Yes, the guest relations desk still gives out free Bonine (generic Dramamine)...at least they did in January on the Mariner. I was feeling a little funny our first night on the ship and remembered reading on these boards about them giving it away. They gave me enough for the entire week, but I was okay after that first night. Actually, I didn't even have to really ask for it. :) I just said I was feeling a little queasy, and before I could get another word out of my mouth the lady said, "let me get you some pills to make you feel better." Coincidentally, the same stuff was being sold at a shop just a little ways down the Royal Promenade for about $7 or $8 a pack.

Since we cruise a lot, I invested $80 in a Relief Band. Originally invented for chemo patients and great for morning sickness too. I loaned my Relief Band to a pregnant co-worker and she said it worked great.

No drugs, no pain, fully adjustable and the batteries are replaceable.

After skirting the edges of Hurricane Gabrielle in Sept. 2001 and spending all day in bed sick waiting for the Bonine to kick in, I've used the Relief Band since. I put it on once on board on the lowest setting even before the ship departs. Then if I'm feeling the motion, I can adjust it higher. The highest setting I've used is Three and that was on a small ferry in 15-foot seas and the deck hands were passing out the barf bags. I didn't even get queasy! At that level, the electric shock does make your hand jump a bit, but a little inconvenience was worth not getting sick.

Last April I got the Noro-virus while on an NCL cruise and I wore the Relief Band to help with feeling sick. Not sure it helped physically but it made me feel better psychologically.

I got my Relief Band from drugstore.com, but notice you can get them at the Sharper Image and Brookstone stores.

I figure it's an investment in my travel, just like my formal clothes and luggage are.

Archived