Holiday Inn in Gretna

cricket_7

I would recommend staying at the Ambassador hotel. It's fairly cheap, and a very nicely renovated historic building. It's near the terminal and you can either walk (10-15min with your luggage) or take a short taxi ride to the terminal.

My assumption is your driving in and the holiday inn in Gretna is cheap? May want to check the pricing with parking at the terminal vs staying at the ambassador. I'm pretty sure they offer cruise parking at the hotel.

Not sure where your driving in from just doesn't seem to make since to stay on that side of the river unless its a lot cheaper.

Being from south LA I have only stayed at a hotel once before a cruise and we stayed at the Ambassador.

We are staying there in November.. booked too late and there is the Bayou Classic that weekend so all hotels in the French Quarter wanted a 3 night minimum(we will only be there one night before the cruise).

I have read good reviews lately on Trip Advisor.

Also, they have a cruise special for free parking(we are flying, doesn't really help us) but then a free shuttle to the port, plus a free shuttle until 9pm to the ferry to get to the city.

So, we are going to give it a try! However, we are staying the Sunday we disembark and will probably try to get something in the French Quarter then.

We are driving in from Oklahoma. The Holiday Inn in Gretna includes parking for the duration of your cruise and it's only $129 per night (2 queen beds) and includes breakfast for 2 adults and children 12 and under are free.

We had originally booked a hotel in Metarie and were going to take a taxi to the terminal, then found this hotel and switched our reservation.

Hey Cricket, I looked at the Holiday Inn in Gretna, as well. They don't offer transportation to the cruise terminal, so we went with Quality Inn in Gretna. With 15 of us, the taxi fares would be horrendous! LOL!

Since it's not very far to the terminal, we plan on having our husbands drop us off with the kids and luggage at the terminal and then they will go back and park and grab a taxi. Hopefully that works out okay! :p

Since it's not very far to the terminal, we plan on having our husbands drop us off with the kids and luggage at the terminal and then they will go back and park and grab a taxi. Hopefully that works out okay! :p

Sounds like a fantastic plan! With so many of us now staying at the Quality Inn in Gretna, we may have to do something similar...just with the shuttle rather than a taxi. Thanks for the great idea!

Sounds like y'all both have great plans and you're staying on the same side of the river as me. I live about 5 miles from those hotels. I have only sailed Carnival, but I'm sure the other cruise lines will be the same for embarkation. We like to get to the terminal by 11am and are usually on the ship by noon getting buzzed with the drink of the day. :D

Sounds like y'all both have great plans and you're staying on the same side of the river as me. I live about 5 miles from those hotels. I have only sailed Carnival, but I'm sure the other cruise lines will be the same for embarkation. We like to get to the terminal by 11am and are usually on the ship by noon getting buzzed with the drink of the day. :D

Woo-hoo! I found you on this thread, too! LOL! Since you live pretty close to the Quality Inn, can you tell me if it's a decent hotel? All of the reviews on Trip Advisor are really good.

And is this Jerry or Lisa?

Yes it's a decent hotel, and I too like to look at reviews on Trip Advisor for different hotels and attractions. Oh and this is Jerry. You can also find me on Facebook too. Jerry Morel

I can't find you on Facebook! That's a disaster of epic proportions! See if you can find me....Cindy Young

Okay, I think I found you on there and sent a friend request.

Doggone it...no friend request came through! When I type in your name, there is no Jerry Morel at all! Poo! I'm Cindy Young with no town listed. My profile is a picture of me & my hubby on one of our cruises.

Let's try this again. lol I think I found you this time and sent a friend request.

Yay! You found me! Hey Jerry, you and Lisa should join us on the NCL Star in November! We're gonna have a great time! And congratulations on your 26th anniversary! That's quite an accomplishment and pretty rare these days.

Thanks Cindy, I wouldn't mind trying NCL someday but have to do another cruise on Carnival after this one to get to Platinum. What ports are you visiting on your cruise? Got your excursions planned?

Platinum? How exciting! Our first two cruises were on Carnival, but since we tried NCL last October on this same route, we haven't even considered Carnival again. We LOVE NCL's freestyle cruising!

We will go to:

Costa Maya - beach day booked at Almaplena

Belize City - plan to tender in and do a little shopping

Roatan - private tour with Victor Bodden

Cozumel - some in our group will swim the the dolphins at Chankanaab, but we may do something else. Any suggestions?

I'm sure you've been to most or all of these ports. Any advice or suggestions?

What's your favorite port(s)? We're considering NCL next fall to Cozumel, Jamaica, & Grand Cayman. I've heard Jamaica is not the best port of call, but we are ready to experience some new places!

I have never been to Costa Maya. Been to Belize once and did cave tubing through cave-tubingdotnet. That was a great excursion, cheaper and better than the one offered through Carnival. Belize is one of those ports that is best to have an excursion planned.

In our only trip to Roatan we did an excursion through Carnival to Tabyana Beach on the West Bay side. Great snorkeling right off the beach. Roatan is really beautiful!

Have been to Cozumel quite a few times and we like to go to Paradise Beach. It's a short taxi ride and you pay $2 each for a chair. They have inflatable toys out in the water and if you want to use those it's $12 but we don't always get that. They also have a huge pool with a swim up bar. The food is really good there and not expensive. You can google Paradise Beach Cozumel and easily find their website.

We went to Jamaica on our first cruise and went to Dunn's River Falls which was a fun and interesting experience. At the end there was a gauntlet of pushy people trying to sell you stuff which we didn't care for. If we go back to Jamaica, I think we will do one of those all inclusive beach resorts.

Last year we did a cruise that started in Puerto Rico and it was our favorite one to date. We love the Southern and Eastern Caribbean islands. We are planning to do that cruise again in May 2014.

I have never been to Costa Maya. Been to Belize once and did cave tubing through cave-tubingdotnet. That was a great excursion, cheaper and better than the one offered through Carnival. Belize is one of those ports that is best to have an excursion planned.

In our only trip to Roatan we did an excursion through Carnival to Tabyana Beach on the West Bay side. Great snorkeling right off the beach. Roatan is really beautiful!

Have been to Cozumel quite a few times and we like to go to Paradise Beach. It's a short taxi ride and you pay $2 each for a chair. They have inflatable toys out in the water and if you want to use those it's $12 but we don't always get that. They also have a huge pool with a swim up bar. The food is really good there and not expensive. You can google Paradise Beach Cozumel and easily find their website.

We went to Jamaica on our first cruise and went to Dunn's River Falls which was a fun and interesting experience. At the end there was a gauntlet of pushy people trying to sell you stuff which we didn't care for. If we go back to Jamaica, I think we will do one of those all inclusive beach resorts.

Last year we did a cruise that started in Puerto Rico and it was our favorite one to date. We love the Southern and Eastern Caribbean islands. We are planning to do that cruise again in May 2014.

Some friends of ours sailed from Puerto Rico a couple of years ago and loved it. They liked sailing at night and docking at a new port each day. We may have to consider that in a year or two! If we wind up going to Jamaica, I'll have to keep an all inclusive option in mind...thanks for the "warning"!

We might consider Paradise Island in Cozumel, but we're beginning to lean toward Chankanaab Park. And I REALLY want to go to the Kaokao chocolate factory!

• 1 month later...
SMURFM69 ~

We are booked at the Quality Inn & Suites in Gretna before and after the cruise. Is there a way to use the ferry over to the tourist sites from the Quality Inn & Suites in Gretna or should we just use a taxi?

We are staying there pre-cruise in November. From what I understand, they have a free shuttle that will take you to the ferry landing, where you walk on and ride the ferry over to the Canal St. pier. This pier is near the French Quarter and the River Streetcar, which will take you there for a small fee, is supposed to be close by.

Yes once you get off the ferry, you will be at the foot of Canal St. and right by the Aquarium of the Americas. The riverfront street car is also right there and costs $1.25 per person.

I notice everyone is either taking taxis or the ferry or both. I don't see any mention of driving yourself. So is it a bad idea to drive yourself? Is parking difficult to find downtown? I am just trying to plan accordingly. We are considering staying in Gretna as well. So if we take the hotel shuttle to the ferry and the ferry across the river, then can we get around on foot from there or take the riverfront street car?

We are a family of four so we would want to see the Garden District among other things.

We are staying there pre-cruise in November. From what I understand, they have a free shuttle that will take you to the ferry landing, where you walk on and ride the ferry over to the Canal St. pier. This pier is near the French Quarter and the River Streetcar, which will take you there for a small fee, is supposed to be close by.

Yes once you get off the ferry, you will be at the foot of Canal St. and right by the Aquarium of the Americas. The riverfront street car is also right there and costs $1.25 per person.

lexanna ~ Would you please do a review of the Quality Inn when you get home. Thanks.

smurfm69 ~ Would that be the Algeiers (sp) Ferry? What is the cost of the Ferry and is it safe at night after dark?

Archived