Holiday Inn in Gretna

cricket_7

Yes that is the Algiers ferry and it is free for pedestrians. Vehicles are free to go to the New Orleans side and $1 for the return trip to the Algiers side. It operates from 6am-12:15am. If you have your own vehicle you can certainly drive across to the city. There is a toll of $1 to go to New Orleans but it's free coming back across. There are several parking garages and lots in downtown and around the French Quarter. They will all have a sign posted at the entrance with the prices. It goes by the hour and 4-5 hours will cost you around $12. Hope this info is helpful. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Hey HappyValley, I'll be glad to post a review! I'm a trip advisor junkie, too, so I'll have to remember to put it on here as well!

Yes that is the Algiers ferry and it is free for pedestrians. Vehicles are free to go to the New Orleans side and $1 for the return trip to the Algiers side. It operates from 6am-12:15am. If you have your own vehicle you can certainly drive across to the city. There is a toll of $1 to go to New Orleans but it's free coming back across. There are several parking garages and lots in downtown and around the French Quarter. They will all have a sign posted at the entrance with the prices. It goes by the hour and 4-5 hours will cost you around $12. Hope this info is helpful. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for the information! We will be staying 1 day before and 1 day after our cruise in late April. Can't wait! The 3 of us have travel OCD! lol

We are from central PA and never been to LA.

We are having a hard time finding a place to stay before the cruise that won't break the bank since it is the Jazz Festival. We booked the Quality Inn & Suites because they had an opening and free shuttle to and from the port.

We also are looking at B&B's without too much success. Our main goal is the cruise, so we prefer not to spend too much money on hotels and transportation before we even get on the ship! (I guess we are cheap!) lol

• 4 months later...

FYI: The hotel is actually nice. The rooms have nice new beds, and based on the rooms I would stay again. The free breakfast is adequate and includes eggs, grits, bisquits, gravy and fruit, among other things.

However, The wait for assistance can be very long, we waited up to 20 minutes to be checked in. Each time we waited for assistance 15 to 20 minutes, whether for a question or a problem.

However be aware there are some difficulties with the shuttle. I stayed here 3/2012 and the shuttle was great. However 1/12/2013- the shuttle is very BAD.

We signed up for the 10am transfer to the ship, the shuttle did not arrive until 11:20am, by this time there were folks signed up for the 10:30 and 11:000am shuttle waiting as well. If we had not insisted we get on the shuttle, we could easily have had to wait for the next trip, as by this point around 30 folks were waiting.

TO get back from the ship we waited about 25 minutes after we called.

Using the hotel shuttle to the ferry, we were told the shuttle ran every hour, so we arrived at 3:50pm for the 4pm shuttle. At 4:20 I got in line to ask at the front desk, 15 minutes later when my turn came & she said she only calls for a shuttle if she sees someone & she was too busy. Never mind that we sat there for 45 minutes waiting.

The return trip from the ferry was the same. Called for a shuttle. It is approximately a 20 minute drive from the hotel to the ferry, but the shuttle took 40 minutes to arrive & the driver had a dinner plate, so I guess he stopped on the way.

While our first stay at this hotel was great. I was told by a transportation company that the hotel is now trying to do their own shuttles to save money, and it is apparent. I would not stay at this hotel & use their shuttle again. It is not worth the savings.

Archived