Car Rental - Charlottetown & Halifax

Hi there;

I'm hoping someone who has rented cars in Charlottetown and/or Halifax will provide me with some information. Currently we have booked cars in both Charlottetown and Halifax through Budget.

Halifax: We have rented from the Hollis Street location. Is this location within walking distance of where we're docked? Would we be better off arranging with them to pick us up from the pier instead?

Charlottetown: We have rented from the University Avenue location. From looking at a map, it looks like this location isn't within walking distance. Is that a correct assumption?

Both times I have been in PEI (off the Eurodam) we rented a car from Discount (Brackley Rd/Bypass) and they were very good about coming to pick us up and drop us off afterwards. It was also a good location (just off the Hwy) as a starting point for a big circle drive up to North Rustico, Cavendish, along the coast to the Confederation Bridge then back to Charlottetown for some shopping before dropping the car off.

I can't comment on Halifax car rental, as we decided to just all hop in a cab (van) which took us on a 4hour tour, out to Peggy's Cove, Swissair memorial and along some absolutely beautiful scenic harbors. You could follow a similar route in the car. We really enjoyed Peggy's cove!

In Charlottetown we rented from Enterprise at 83 Euston St. It was about a 10 minute drive and they were at the cruise terminal to pick us up.

In Halifax we rented from National which is also at the Hollis St location. It is a quick walk from the terminal to the Via rail station where all the car rentals are located. At the time, National was less expensive than budget, so you may want to compare.

Enterprise in Charlottetown was excellent. They did pick us up and take us back to the ship. The young woman even stopped to drop me off a few blocks from the ship so that I could shop.

They offer a good pre-purchase option on fuel. They've figured out how much gas the typical one-day renter uses, and they offer that (as opposed to prepaying for a full tank, which you know you won't use). For us, it was exactly the right amount (they don't adjust the cost if you use more or less), and the convenience was worth the price.

Thanks for the replies but I was more curious as to Budget's service. We are booked with them, received an excellent deal plus aeroplan miles. If anyone has any insight to Budget's service, I'm still interested in hearing your experience.

Archived