C-Pap

My husband uses a c-pap and needs distilled water for it. Does anyone have any experience with getting some on board? I'm sure he would be ok using tap water but if we can get it he will be a happy camper! Sailing on the Oasis in 11 days!

I use a CPAP also. On the Allure a few weeks ago, special needs had forgotten to supply my room with distilled water. I mentioned this to our cabin steward and a gallon of distilled water appeared a short time later. If the Oasis has outlets like the Allure, it will be very easy to plug the machine in behind the bed.

Paul

I am not sure what CPAP machine you are using but I just did 20 days on RCI and had no humidifier because of the on-board air conditioning.

I have used CPAP for 12 years with 3 different machines and never had a problem like this before.

It appears makers are now adding a feature called Humidity control. I have a new Remstar System one with this. As a result the heating plate to the humidifier would not heat the water and thus the water would be very cold through the night due to air conditioning.

In the case of my machine I thought there was something wrong for the 28 days I was away. I even contacted my the company that sold it to me and they didn't have any answers other than it was a faulty machine.

I returned home and all was fine again. I did some research and found that in the clinicians menu this can be turned off and go back to the good old method either on or off and what temp. I contacted the company that sold it to me and they said they didn't even know this existed.

As for distilled water it has not been in my room for the last 5 sailings even though it was ordered 10 months in advance. Have had to ask the Cabin Steward.

Phil

Why do you need distilled water for a c-pap? I've had one for years and just use tap water, did I miss something in my instructions? Mine is a remstar with the water reservoir near when the hose plugs into the machine, but I don't know that it is a humidifier, the warming plate just warms the water but it never comes thru the hose.

My dh just recently started using one and I know he's not using distilled water in his either, he has a different brand than I do.

Thanks,

Janet

Why do you need distilled water for a c-pap? I've had one for years and just use tap water, did I miss something in my instructions? Mine is a remstar with the water reservoir near when the hose plugs into the machine, but I don't know that it is a humidifier, the warming plate just warms the water but it never comes thru the hose.

My dh just recently started using one and I know he's not using distilled water in his either, he has a different brand than I do.

Thanks,

Janet

Depending on the tap water, it isn't all the same. Some have heavy doses of Chlorine and most people would not want to breathe that in for 8-9 hours a day.

Also some people who use tap water are susceptible to pimples on the inside of the nose and the distilled water cuts this down.

I recently was on the Adventure and the Adventure still has a "brown" water problem. This has been an ongoing problem for over a year now on this ship. Not sure I want to use that in my CPAP machine.

Phil

I use to have to use a CPAP. I have taken my own distelled water, unopened, the first time (this was before I knew about the special needs dept). The second time, I got hold of the special needs dept and they provided the water. Then they told me on the third time that the water on board is so filtered that distelled is not always neccesary. I used water from the faucets and had no problems.

I use a cpap but I left mine at home when I went on the cruise. I also use tap water mostly.

The reason people are supposed to use distilled water is because it is pure and wont leave residue in the water container. When water evaporates the air you breath wont have any of the stuff in the water. The extra things like chlorine etc are left behind in the container. Thats actually how you make distilled water.

I used to snore really bad but ever since I dropped 40 lbs I have lost most of my snoring issues and that is why I dont have to have my cpap with me all the time. I understand that once you get used to it though its something you dont want to be without.

To help you all clear some things up....

I am a Respiratory Therapist who works for a home care company and deal with cpaps everyday.

Distilled water: we don't actually care that the tap water is going to leave a residue in your humidifier tank. What we care about is that you are breathing in that same residue which will build up in your lungs over time. There is no scrub brush that can remove that! So distilled water only!

Yes, respironics and resmeds latest machine do have moisture control. You can ask you home care provider to override the system, but the fact is that the humidity in the caribbean is usually higher than at home so you might not even need additional moisture. Don't be surprised if your water level does not go down.

You can email special needs@rccl to have distill water in your room. When i travel with my mil we had requested it, it wasn't there and i had to ask the steward. He brought it right away.

The outlet is way across the room, so you will need and extension. You will have to request this as well, as they don't allow you to use your own.

I also recommend, dump you water immediately each am. Your room steward may move your machine to clean and it happens often that if the machine gets tipped, there can be permanent water damage.

Good luck and sweet dreams!

Thank you for everyones responses to my question. I am aware some people dont use distilled water but we have used it for years (except for a couple of random nights). As far as not using it I dont think we would choose our cruise to "experiment". Several years ago we were on a cruise with a different line and requested the water in advance. They were so confused I was hoping I could just ask when we got on the ship! Looking forward to sleeping soundly as the ship rocks us to sleep!!!!

at least RCCL is helpful and provides the distilled water and extension cord. It cost me almost $5 for a gallon of distilled water when I was on Holland America Line for a week. Not sure if they would have let me bring on myself as medical equipment but I didn't want to deal with schlepping it aboard nor put it in my luggage.

I was told on Viking River Cruises that getting distilled water is never a problem as it is stock item as it is used by engineering departments.

Thanks,

Janet

Janet, you might want to pop over to http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum to get some enlightenment. The apnea forum, like this forum, has its extremes but you can usually average out the best answer.

Archived