U.S. Customs Allowance for alcohol

Evilgrin72

US Nationals and Residents

Returning residents of the United States: up to $800 worth of articles acquired abroad provided their stay abroad was at least 48 hours and their duty-free exemption was not used in the preceding 30 days.

For arrivals directly from American Samoa, Guam & U.S. Virgin Islands: up to $1,600 (not more than $800 of which may be acquired elsewhere than in these islands) The duty-free allowance may include the following maximum quantities:

1,000 cigarettes (not more than 200 of which shall have been acquired elsewhere than in American Samoa, Guam and U.S. Virgin Islands: For residents returning from other countries 200 cigarettes plus a reasonable quantity of tobacco and 100 cigars.

For persons of 21 years or older: 1 litre of alcoholic beverage (for arrivals from American Samoa, Guam and U.S. Virgin Islands, 5 litre not more than 1 litre of which may be acquired elsewhere than on these islands).

Perfumes, lotions, Eau de Cologne if not under a trade mark restriction recorded in the United States Treasury Department.

I'm slightly confused by the bolded. Does this mean that if you're on a cruise that makes a stop or stops in the USVI, you may bring 5 liters of alcohol back duty-free, provided that 4 of the 5 liters are acquired in the USVI?

I'm slightly confused by the bolded. Does this mean that if you're on a cruise that makes a stop or stops in the USVI, you may bring 5 liters of alcohol back duty-free, provided that 4 of the 5 liters are acquired in the USVI?

yes but in reality as long as you stop there 5 are permitted. By the way customs on overage of alcohol is about $2.00 a liter. Its the local taxes that make them expensive.

For persons of 21 years or older: 1 litre of alcoholic beverage (for arrivals from American Samoa, Guam and U.S. Virgin Islands, 5 litre not more than 1 litre of which may be acquired elsewhere than on these islands).

Technically, yes. However, I've never had the customs people ask me on which of the islands I acquired my liquor. It usually is St Thomas, though... there is a line of chocolate rum liqueurs that I've never seen anywhere else, and I usually get one of each flavor! (choc raspberry, choc mint, etc)

However, on my transatlantic cruise - where the straight 1 litre limit applies since we did not go to any of those islands - I acquired 2 bottles of cheap French red table wine (in Paris), 1 bottle of Irish whiskey (in Ireland), and two bottles of Bailey's, one of Bacardi, and one of Absolut (all in the ship's shop). The customs inspector said that I owed $12 in duty - and then told me that she wasn't going to make me pay it, welcome home!

yes but in reality as long as you stop there 5 are permitted. By the way customs on overage of alcohol is about $2.00 a liter. Its the local taxes that make them expensive.

So technically, I can buy it all in St. Maarten (which is my plan) and as long as I've stopped in St. Thomas, I can bring back 5. That's what I really needed to know, thanks.

Technically, yes. However, I've never had the customs people ask me on which of the islands I acquired my liquor. It usually is St Thomas, though... there is a line of chocolate rum liqueurs that I've never seen anywhere else, and I usually get one of each flavor! (choc raspberry, choc mint, etc)

However, on my transatlantic cruise - where the straight 1 litre limit applies since we did not go to any of those islands - I acquired 2 bottles of cheap French red table wine (in Paris), 1 bottle of Irish whiskey (in Ireland), and two bottles of Bailey's, one of Bacardi, and one of Absolut (all in the ship's shop). The customs inspector said that I owed $12 in duty - and then told me that she wasn't going to make me pay it, welcome home!

Fantastic, thanks !

So technically, I can buy it all in St. Maarten (which is my plan) and as long as I've stopped in St. Thomas, I can bring back 5. That's what I really needed to know, thanks.

There is a slight possibility that they can ask for your receipts. At most it seems you are looking at an $8 duty.

I have brought 10 liters on one trip. always used to bring a lot back to the us.

I have never lied on my declaration and have never been charged.

Coming into belize they get every $$$ that is coming to them...

Happy to deal with the US customs.

Archived