New to this Board: Info on Booking the QM2

gracecarmo

Hello everyone: I got excited while reading some reviews on this board re the QM2, and would like to try a crossing, and of course the QM2.

My question is: has anyone used an agency that discounts? I got an e mail from one of the discount agencies (have never used one, always booked direct, or used a small TA) with an unbelieveable price for a balcony cabin, in October.

I hope someone can help....

Cheers..Grace

Hello everyone: I got excited while reading some reviews on this board re the QM2, and would like to try a crossing, and of course the QM2.

My question is: has anyone used an agency that discounts? I got an e mail from one of the discount agencies (have never used one, always booked direct, or used a small TA) with an unbelieveable price for a balcony cabin, in October.

Hi Gracecarmo:

I found a TA who gave me a 19% discount off of the Cunard Early Booking Price for the QM2 which included the taxes and fees charged by Cunard. I called 23 TA's - out of the phone book, local TA's, newspaper ads and internet TA's in one day. I then called a local TA who had booked my QE2 crossing in 9/03, and she met my lowest quote. I hope this gives you an idea of what is possible. Of course, I'm curious about the % discount you were offered by the TA. How much of a % discount were you quoted off the Cunard Early Booking price including taxes and fees?

well, I e mailed my regular TA (she is in Atlanta: I am in Kansas now), and she met the price given by the on-line discount company. This is for a balcony room with obstructed view, $1,279. She also booked me! I have until next Friday to put down deposit. The obstructed view is the lifeboat, but the price is the same for a room with a porthole. Most likely, we will not be using the balcony, just like it there for the light aspect.

I have a load of other questions....and will post them.

Grace

Hi Gracecarmo:

I found a TA who gave me a 19% discount off of the Cunard Early Booking Price for the QM2 which included the taxes and fees charged by Cunard. I called 23 TA's - out of the phone book, local TA's, newspaper ads and internet TA's in one day. I then called a local TA who had booked my QE2 crossing in 9/03, and she met my lowest quote. I hope this gives you an idea of what is possible. Of course, I'm curious about the % discount you were offered by the TA. How much of a % discount were you quoted off the Cunard Early Booking price including taxes and fees?

LOWEST PRICE I HAVE EVER RECIEVED OR THAT I KNOW OF IS 50% OFF LIST PRICE IN THE P AND Q CAT.

Traveling mama: it is for each person in a cabin for two. The information listed states that it is 58% off the brochure price.

I am still looking for a hotel for 3 nights post cruise in London.

Grace

:) Thanks Grace. Im traveling alone and paid $2400 for a similiar cabin....but they always get me for the suppplement etc. But still I was happy w/ that price. Im using Cunards hotel in London as then I can get free shuttles and the flight back later in the month after I tour a bit. Well enjoy your xing!!

Guest juliae

Hi,

Cunard has some really amazing rates right now, don't they? Positively jaw-dropping! :)

Depending on the affiliations of the travel agent in question, you can also get a really nice complimentary upgrade, too. It all depends on the volume of bookings that the travel agent does with Cunard (or any cruise line), but also if the travel agent is affiliated with a consortium, such as Virtuoso, that has a special partnership with Cunard (or the cruise line in question).

Try the Thistle Marble Arch or the Crowne Plaza in London. They are moderately priced and I hear good comments on them, too.

Best Regards,

Julia

I am still in sticker shock re hotels, both in NYC and London. Every time we went to NYC we were guests, and in London prices were lower a few years back.

Thanks for the info re hotels in London, now I need some advice for NYC. Any recommendations?

I wonder how folks have done with Priceline in NYC?

Grace

I am still in sticker shock re hotels, both in NYC and London. Every time we went to NYC we were guests, and in London prices were lower a few years back.

Thanks for the info re hotels in London, now I need some advice for NYC. Any recommendations?

I wonder how folks have done with Priceline in NYC?

Grace

We're staying at the Casablanca Hotel which is close to Times Square. It is a small boutique hotel and it has a Moroccan theme, very cozy looking. Check out Tripadvisor.com. People send in comments on hotels. This hotel is #6 out of 320 on their site! Rave reviews! Happy Hour 5-7 M-F which includes free wine, champagne and cheese. Free breakfast buffet. Chocolate chip cookies, espresso, juices, etc., available 24/7 in a cozy room with working fireplace. Great Italian restaurant next door. Some people stayed for two weeks in this hotel while in NYC. The hotels offered by Cunard received horrible ratings! The Waldorf Astoria is #103 out of 320 and the Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers is #185 out of 320!

I am staying at the Crowne Plaza so glad to hear a good review. Thanks!

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Times Square, and not only could we check in early (11.00) we had a view down 49th Street to the QM2 - and watched her sail back to England - magical! The location is excellent, 5 minutes from Times Square and the TKTS booth - enjoy!

Peter

Archived