Kona, Hawaii - BIG ISLAND DIVERS

spingal

I just returned from the 4/19 Island Princess Hawaii cruise. A group of us dove with Big Island Divers in Kona. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM!!! Very professional and nice. They have a brand new boat and their equipment is the best rental equipment I have ever seen. :D

So if you are looking for a dive operator in Kona -- use BIG ISLAND!!!

Caio........

Jamie

I agree with Jamie (spingal) 100%. My husband and I took a Discover Scuba class with this company. We had a great time. felt very safe the entire time. Were able to do a two tank trip, and now are looking at classes so we can be PADI certified next time. They also picked us up at the tender spot, showed us around Kona after the dive, had fresh brewed Kona coffee at the shop prior to our dive, I could go on and on. One of our CC friends was supposed to dive with us, and got sick. The ships MD recomended that she did not dive, and this charter company did not charge her, even with less that 24 hour cancel notice. A company with a heart! They do not advertise with the cruise companies, but said they would love to have more cruise ship customers, even though if requires some modifications of there excursion times. Sunshine!

Good to hear about this. We'll be on NCL Wind and will be at Kona on Sept. 2. I'll like to book a 2-tank boat dive in Kona. Most dive shops go out early, but when I just began to inquire, some of them will pick up from tender or even adjust the time for the boat that day. But that still depends on the cruise ship getting in on time.

What time did your cruise ship get to Kona, and what time did you actually set foot on pier?

NCL Wind is scheduled for 8am - 5pm at Kona.

Thanks a lot.

Good to hear about this. We'll be on NCL Wind and will be at Kona on Sept. 2. I'll like to book a 2-tank boat dive in Kona. Most dive shops go out early, but when I just began to inquire, some of them will pick up from tender or even adjust the time for the boat that day. But that still depends on the cruise ship getting in on time.

What time did your cruise ship get to Kona, and what time did you actually set foot on pier?

NCL Wind is scheduled for 8am - 5pm at Kona.

Thanks a lot.

We arrived at 8am and were able to get on one of the first tenders from the ship. Big Island was very accomodating and agreed to wait for us. We arrived on shore around 8:30 and they picked us up at the pier. We did have a group of 6 people diving so that may have helped us. In the end, only 5 of us dove (someone in our group was sick) and there were 2 people who were staying on the island that joined us. So we were the majority of the group. The 2 that were staying on the island had to wait for us.

I recommend trying to find other people from your cruise who also want to dive. I found people on the cruise critic roll call for our cruise. That will assure you that Big Island will adjust their schedule for you. Please tell them how you found out about them. We told them we would post a message about them on this board. Maybe they will work with you even more if they realize how you found out about them!

Good luck and have a great cruise!!

Jamie

I agree that having a larger group for your ship helps. The other challenge is a speedy departure from the ship as it is a tender port. My husband and I were the riff raff on Princess since it was our first trip and hated to hold the rest of our party up. They all were Elite or traveling with Elite Princess Passengers. We went to the Pursers's desk with our story and the next thing you know, we had early tender tickets for that day. Just goes to show what asking nicely can do. I think our group was on the very first tender ashore. Any questions about this company just ask as I know that Spin Gal and I are both reading these posts. Karen

Thanks for your responses.

NCL Wind also offers certified 2-tank scuba diving at $125 + rental (and more for non-certified dive), but doesn't say how much rental is. So Big Island's advertised price for certified divers of $100 + 20 rental is better, and this positive review is even more important.

It sounds like there are two important factors to your timing. You were able to get on the first tender, and by having a large group, Big Island was willing to wait for you. Just curious, how many people could the tender take any way? Also, if you couldn't be on the first tender after ship anchors at 8am, instead of 8:30, what time would the next tender get at pier?

Did Big Island divide up groups of certified divers from non-certified? Also, do you remember which dive site you went to.

Thanks a lot.

I think being on the first tender is important, but that was not a sure bet for us. My guess is that if my husband and I had been later, they would have taken the first group to the shop and started fitting them out with gear, while they picked us up. I think the tenders can take abt 90 passengers as a tender and 150 as a life boat, but don't quote me on that. Just one of those bits of trivia picked up by reading the signs:) We had a combined trip with certified and non certified divers. Probably held up the PADI divers somewhat as we had to go thru a flip chart of instruction in the shop, then were taken to the boat. The rest of our instruction was on board or in the water, while the PADI gang took their "giant strides" and were off. Both our groups were able to complete a two tank dive with plenty of time to ask questions of the dive master, boat operater and dive instructer. I don't know where we went. I was too busy not holding my breath, and looking around. we did see dolphins on the way our, and swam with one giant sea turtle. Too Cool!! Anymore questions ask away, as Spin Gal can answer the dive ones, and I can ask the "Discover Scuba" ones. Karen

Archived