Early Saver vs Past Guest (VIFP)

I'm booking a cruise today. We were going to book the early saver rates to save $68.00 pp. However, we are afraid there is a slight chance that we need to change the names around before our sailing. I know there is a fee to do this, so we are thinking it's best to go with the past guest rates to avoid any fees or penalities in the case we need to make any changes to our reservations. However, I notice there is no "price protection" with the past guest rates. Does this mean if we book past guest today and the rates drop next month, they will not honor the lower rate? Any insight would be a great help before we book.

I'm booking a cruise today. We were going to book the early saver rates to save $68.00 pp. However, we are afraid there is a slight chance that we need to change the names around before our sailing. I know there is a fee to do this, so we are thinking it's best to go with the past guest rates to avoid any fees or penalities in the case we need to make any changes to our reservations. However, I notice there is no "price protection" with the past guest rates. Does this mean if we book past guest today and the rates drop next month, they will not honor the lower rate? Any insight would be a great help before we book.

No price protection unless you book early saver. Early saver is the way I prefer to book. I have gotten 12 price drops for my July 15th cruise. $875 OBC WOOHOO :D

That is my understanding -- price drops are only honored with early saver. To get the price drop on past guest you have to cancel and rebook which seems like a lot of extra work - especially if you are using a FCC.

We almost always book early saver, but do not have the name issue, so my understanding my be incomplete.

No price protection unless you book early saver. Early saver is the way I prefer to book. I have gotten 12 price drops for my July 15th cruise. $875 OBC WOOHOO :D

Every rate gets price drops until final payment. Then ONLY ES gets price drops until 2 business days before sailing.

Also, you can book past guest and when the names are on the right booking, you can switch to ES if it is still available.

Good Luck! :p

Every rate gets price drops until final payment. Then ONLY ES gets price drops until 2 business days before sailing.

Also, you can book past guest and when the names are on the right booking, you can switch to ES if it is still available.

Good Luck! :p

This~!! Up until final payment ANY rate can get a reduction~ AFTER final payment ONLY Early Saver gets rate reductions!

Good to know. Thank you so much for your help. Sounds like the best way is to go with Past Guest for now, and change to ES once we are postive we are not making any changes. I know in the past I booked past guest and was credited when there was a price drop, but I wasn't sure if they changed their policy since then.

Thanks so much!

Good to know. Thank you so much for your help. Sounds like the best way is to go with Past Guest for now, and change to ES once we are postive we are not making any changes. I know in the past I booked past guest and was credited when there was a price drop, but I wasn't sure if they changed their policy since then.

Thanks so much!

Also if you need to cancel, with past guest, there is no fee and you get a full refund if done before final payment. Just another thought. I sure hope you don't! :p

There is no fee to change with ES as it's not allowed.

Also switching to ES later when booked under another rate has to be done before ES goes away which is 5 months before the cruise on a 6 day or longer cruise and 3 months on shorter cruises.

Bill

Archived