Southampton to salisbury train, and salisbury to stonehenge transfer

Hi,

We want to visit stonehenge from southampton. Ship dock at 5AM and leave at 4PM. I know we can take a train to salisbury and then catch the bus to stonehenge.

Would you please suggest the train and bus to take? Do I need to purchase the ticket ahead of time?

Thanks,

April

You do not need to book train tickets in advance (there are no reserved seats). There are 2 or 3 trains an hour taking 40-50 minutes

Its about a 6-10 GBP taxi to the station depending on the cruise terminal or you could walk from the City Cruise Terminal.

The Stonehenge Tour Bus runs once or twice hourly and picksup from outside Salisbury Station.

See: http://www.thestonehengetour.info/

Few people take longer than one hour at Stonehenge so there is plenty of time to visit Salisbury Cathedral or even Old sarum.

See Utube video below for Stonehenge Tour Bus

handfordr,

Thanks. The cheapest round trip ticket online is about 10 GBP, will I get the same price at the station?

Thanks,

April

Any train fare difference will be minimal, simplest to buy a "cheap day-return" at the station.

Frequency of the ho-ho varies according to season, so catch a train scheduled to arrive about 10 -15 mins before the ho-ho departs from Salisbury rail station.

No earlier than the 08.37 (arrives 09.15) in high summer, or the 9.10 (arrives 9.37) off-season, to catch the first ho-ho of the day.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Your departure station is Southampton central.

Buy your Stonehenge tickets from the ho-ho driver, they're same-price but will avoid a line for tickets -esp if you arrive at Stonehenge behind a couple of day-tripper coaches.

An hour at Stonehenge is enough for most folk, and the round-trip on the ho-ho also about an hour. Use your remaining time in Salisbury city centre/cathedral, and at Old Sarum if that's the sort of place that interests you.

Southampton is rarely a cruise ship port-of-call. I'm guessing you're on a back-to-back, if so your latest back-on-board time is likely to be later than for folk joining the ship.

JB :)

Archived