Fire and Ice

We did this in 2009 so I can tell you the excursions we did.

TORSHAVN We did the walk on Streymor Sill (not sure of spelling).

We chose this because we had a sea day before and after so thought we would need to move around a bit. I really enjoyed it and my husband was delighted as he saw birds and flowers which he hadn't seen before. You end the walk at a little village where we dipped our hot feet in the sea. This was only a half day trip so we had plenty of time to explore Torshavn on the afternoon.

REYKJAVIK We stayed overnight here so we did the Magic Circle (think that's what is was called) and the Blue Lagoon. If you're only here one day the Magic Circle is a must. You visit among other things the geysers, a waterfall and the national park with the rift running through it. Everything is stunning and must be seen to be appreciated.

ISAFJORD We didn't do an excusion here as we were in the two other Iceland stops so felt we just wanted to look around. It is a very small place however so if there is an excusion you fancy I think I would recommend doing it.

AKUREYRI Sorry I can't remember the name of the excursion but it included the mud pools, another waterfall, and a lake. Again an absolutely fabulous day.

After we left Akureyri we crossed the Artic Circle. I think it was about one o'clock in the morning but neally the whole ship stayed up and it was like New Years Eve but with the addition of the midnight sun, very magical.

FLAM We went up the railway. We just did this ourselves. We bought the tickets as soon as we docked and had to wait about an hour/hour and a half. This is another must do. On the afternoon we walked along to the next village and back, there's not much there but it's a very pleasant walk.

BERGEN Here we did our own thing again. Went up the funicular, great views from the top, and then just wandered around.

For natural beauty this cruise is stunning we enjoyed every second. I know you'll have fantastic time there's no way you couldn't. We will definitely do this again......after we've done the others on our "list" :D;).

If you want more details on anything feel free to ask

V.

Archived