How Much Is Too Much In 1 Day Along The Amalfi Coast

gatorpuppy

Mid July thursday arrival in Naples 7:00am - 6:30pm. Pompeii is not on our must see list so want to see Amalfi Coast but not interested in sitting in a bus in traffic or even a private car on windy mountain roads. We are looking at this train - sea - train route and looking for feedback for anyone who has tried a similar path.

8:11am - 9:03am Circumvesuviana express train to Sorrento

9:03am - 10:30am Walk & Eat in Sorrento

10:30am - 11:00am Alticost Jet Boat To Positano

11:00am - 1:30pm Shop/Walk/Eat in Positano

1:30pm - 2:40pm Travelmar Ferry to Salerno with stop in Amalfi

2:40pm - 4:00pm Tour Salerno via walk to train station

4:00pm - 5:00pm Train from Salerno to Naples

5:00pm - 6:00pm Find pizza and back to ship

Many thanks!

I think your schedule is too much. While you think it it may be "do-able", it has no room for any "hiccups".

You arrival may be at 9:03 and walk and eat to 10:30, you need to get from the train to wherever you want to eat and to the jet boat by 10:30. No time if your food is a little late and how far from where you are eating to the jet boat?

In my opinion, you are doing too much and did not account the transit between your highlights. I believe the thing you are going to see the most is your watch, to make sure your are on schedule.

You can do those things (minus the boat and ferry rides) if you hire a driver. You will see all those places, have time to eat, sight-see and shop and won't have to run from one mode of transport to the next. It will be a nice relaxing day on the Amalfi coast. It may cost a little more but much less stressful and more value.

I agree with pete_coach that you are not leaving enough time for transitions/delays/hiccups. Italy moves on its own schedule, which may not be the same as yours. If you are having lunch in Positano, the restaurant may be open at 1pm, (just) but you'll never get a meal eaten in half an hour. Buying a panino and chewing as you run could work, but doesn't sound too appealing! I recommend cutting down the number of places you're visiting and having a real lunch somewhere. I think it must surely be a sin to visit Italy and not have a few wonderful, sit-down meals. And, I don't think you've left sufficient time for gelato in there! :eek:

This is a very ambitious plan that will not really allow you to see anything---more like amazing race--lol----certainly could be done if everything went just right

The circumvesuviana is just an overland subway line--the jet boat to Sorrento would be much faster----I.d get the boat form Sorrento to Amalfi with a stop in Positano--you could explore Amalfi then hop back to Positano either by bus or ferry--then back to Sorrento --then back to port from their via jet boat---Salerno to the train station walk is just a stroll thru a larger city--nothing special to see--jmho

hope this helps

Paul

for a jet boat back to port

I think your schedule is too much. While you think it it may be "do-able", it has no room for any "hiccups".

You arrival may be at 9:03 and walk and eat to 10:30, you need to get from the train to wherever you want to eat and to the jet boat by 10:30. No time if your food is a little late and how far from where you are eating to the jet boat?

In my opinion, you are doing too much and did not account the transit between your highlights. I believe the thing you are going to see the most is your watch, to make sure your are on schedule.

You can do those things (minus the boat and ferry rides) if you hire a driver. You will see all those places, have time to eat, sight-see and shop and won't have to run from one mode of transport to the next. It will be a nice relaxing day on the Amalfi coast. It may cost a little more but much less stressful and more value.

Thanks to all for the feedback:).......think we are going spend the $$$$$ on a private car p/u in Naples and include Pompeii before heading to Positano. We will be dropped in Sorrento and take the 4:30pm jet boat back to Naples.

That's a much more sensible plan.

I really enjoyed Pompeii and it is a large place and most people spend only two hours there and I think you need three. It is hot- so bring an umbrella for shade and a water bottle that you can refill at one of the public water fountains. It's a hot day in Pompeii for sure!. Skip the Cameo factory unless you need to use the bathroom- they have great bathroom! I found that this ate up valuable time and its a tourist trap. Seriously- who buys Cameos anymore.

Thanks to all for the feedback:).......think we are going spend the $$$$$ on a private car p/u in Naples and include Pompeii before heading to Positano. We will be dropped in Sorrento and take the 4:30pm jet boat back to Naples.

Gatorpuppy, we just did this with Gianpiero of RomeInLimo. OHMYGOSH what a fabulous day we had. I really did not want to do private tours so far from the ship, but my sister pushed hard for it and I am so glad she did. Gianpiero was just wonderful, and we totally saw it all. He made our trip to Italy worthwhile, all by himself.

Happy trails,

Lizzie

Archived