In Hawaii, can't snorkel several days after a full moon due to jellyfish?

mikeerdas

Read about not being able to snorkel several days after a full moon in Hawaii due to jellyfish. I'm looking at potential snorkel dates of 9/26/2012 through 9/30/2012 on both Oahu and the Big Island and wondered if there's any need to be concerned for those dates.

Cross-posting to the Hawaii port forum is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1654199

Follow-ups can go anywhere. I'll cross-link this thread to the Hawaii forums one.

We have a land trip booked to Hawaii in September and we actually did plan our snorkel days around the jellyfish. We were stung pretty good in Cabo once, and that was just by tentacles of regular jellyfish that had been chopped up by the snorkel boat's propellor. These box jellyfish are supposed to be really bad. Here's a calendar; hope it helps.

We have a land trip booked to Hawaii in September and we actually did plan our snorkel days around the jellyfish. We were stung pretty good in Cabo once, and that was just by tentacles of regular jellyfish that had been chopped up by the snorkel boat's propellor. These box jellyfish are supposed to be really bad. Here's a calendar; hope it helps.

Thanks CT. Ouch! We seem to be good on our dates re: no jellyfish. Yea! :-) I've heard that the snorkeling in K. Bay in South Kona is some of the best in Hawaii. We snorkeled near the port in the main town of Kona and that was phenomenal. Looking forward to it.

Hi Mike -

yeah, the 4 of us jumped in and all of a sudden felt like a lot of little burns. For once our experience was against us, because we wanted to get in first before the newbies. :p Turns out the boat crew had already known they were there, but neglected to mention it. :mad: We saw one of them afterwards in a little dinghy and a kitchen strainer scooping tentacles out of the water. My friend got out and had a long tentacle stuck to her arm which left a long red welt for several days. But thank god nobody had a really bad reaction.

Anyway, enjoy the snorkeling. Hawaii ranks up there as one of the best spots for us. :)

Archived