Just back from sailing on Elation

bmumper

Just back from a Wonderful cruise out of New Orleans going to Progresso and Cozumel on the Carnival Elation. It had its highs and very little lows so if you have any questions about this ship then let me know.

So glad you had a great time! Do you remember if they offer Express Luggage service? We are doing B2B.... and Thursday can't get here soon enough. Please feel free to tell me anything I might need to know. :)

I'm wondering what you thought of and what you did on the Progresso stop. It sounds kind of interesting to me, but I've seen some people saying it's not a great port. What did you think? Thanks.

Jim

I'm wondering what you thought of and what you did on the Progresso stop. It sounds kind of interesting to me, but I've seen some people saying it's not a great port. What did you think? Thanks.

Jim

I don't care for the over-commercialized ports and I loved Progresso. The tourist trinkets were much cheaper than in Cozumel and it was the same junk. The beach was right there where the bus lets you off, nothing special, but it was a beautiful blue turquoise and very clean. We had chips, salsa and beer at Buddy's and it was very cheap.

I don't care for the over-commercialized ports and I loved Progresso. The tourist trinkets were much cheaper than in Cozumel and it was the same junk. The beach was right there where the bus lets you off, nothing special, but it was a beautiful blue turquoise and very clean. We had chips, salsa and beer at Buddy's and it was very cheap.

I'm all for chips, salsa and beer, especially when it's cheap, but isn't this also a stop with cultural/archeological stuff? Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza? At least on an excursion?

Jim

I'm headed out on the same itinerary July 9!

What did you do in the ports? What were the activities you enjoyed the most on board?

Are there any good spots for lunch on embarkation day?

Got any pictures???

Did you have kids with you?

Sorry, don't mean to interrogate, I'm just excited and hungry for info!

I'm headed out on the same itinerary July 9!

What did you do in the ports? What were the activities you enjoyed the most on board?

Are there any good spots for lunch on embarkation day?

Got any pictures???

Did you have kids with you?

Sorry, don't mean to interrogate, I'm just excited and hungry for info!

I can tell you for us, we went on a snorkel excursion with Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel, and it was great. It was just the two of us on the excursion plus a local person, and we got a lot of personal attention. I highly recommend this excursion.

I loved Progresso. Our first cruise was this same itinerary but on the Triumph. We didn't do an excursion but rather just walked around. We did take the open air double decker bus tour through town that I really enjoyed... I think it was $4 each. We walked through a little flea market (not the straw market they dump you off at) that was a blast! Seeing the stuff they were selling. One guy was asleep on his table. My wife and I both got a massage for $10 a piece. It's been a couple years since we were there. I prefer 7 nighters and unfortunately they don't go to Progresso. Otherwise I'd go back in a heartbeat. Such friendly people. Not the smile until they take your money friendly in Cozumel. But they seemed to really appreciate your tourist dollar there IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ship was awesome. We took a cruise on Royal Caribbean last year and thought the staff was a bit friendlier. We had our 16 and 13 year old daughters along. The 13 year old loved the water slide and the pool. The 16 year old just tagged along with Mom and I and met friends as well.

Meals were good. Plenty of variety every day in the dining rooms. They had different items for lunch in certain sections but mostly the same. There seemed to always be a line for food. That was a low point. Pizza and ice cream 24/7.

The entertainment staff was great. Seemed to always be trivia or miniature golf tournaments or something going on. Just check the days schedule that the room steward puts in your room

Shows were great. Make sure to get to these if you can. The dancers are great and very friendly. If you like to dance, there is dance classes on stage throughout the cruise. You learn the thriller dance, hip hop and others. Bingo was a big hit if that is your fun.

Progresso to me was no fun. The double decker bus tour is great. Make sure to jump on there. I think it was $3 per person. We then took a taxi to Dzitzultan (sp) ruins. We didnt enjoy that too much but we are not history buffs. Taxi ride was $50 round trip. This is with the driver waiting for you at the ruins. I believe these were $24 pp to enter the ruins.

Cozumel was awesome. We took a taxi to Paradise Beach for $13 for the 4 of us. There it was $2 pp for a beach chair and $12 for a day pass for all of the water toys. Many climbing activities in the water and including kayaking, paddleboarding and snorkel gear if you wanted it. I did not do that but some said there were only a few fish to see near the pier. We did parasailing at Paradise beach. It was $60 for a single or $100 for a double. I highly recommend this.

Great cruise with the only low points being the line for food and the staff not being as great as the Royal Caribbean cruise we took last year. I will say thought that when we boarded one of my daughters checked some personal items in the checked baggage. One of the dancers (Jennifer) was so helpful. She went to her cabin and let my daughter have some of her stuff to help us out. What a doll.

Embarkation was very easy. We got to the cruise port around 10:30 and parked in the garage there for $80 for the 5 day cruise. Checked in and waited around for about a half hour to board.

Debarkation was just as simple. We check our bags and was given number 9. Debarkation started about 8 and we were off the boat about an hour later. Walked straight to our baggage and the porter helped us out. Very easy.

Once on board you can just go to the Lido deck where the lunch is served and have lunch. Hope this helps.

Planning to do buddys in 24 days. Were the patrons very rowdy? Hoping to go there with 8 senior citizens and 6 young teens. Hoping to sit across the road on the beach and enjoy some beer, margaritas and salsa. We don't mind a fun atmosphere but want to make sure the behavior outside isn't xrated.

Thanks!

So glad you had a great time! Do you remember if they offer Express Luggage service? We are doing B2B.... and Thursday can't get here soon enough. Please feel free to tell me anything I might need to know. :)

No luggage express in New Orleans or at least there wasn't a few months ago. There is something called Advance Checkin, but it's a little different.

http://www.advancecheckin.com/

No luggage express in New Orleans or at least there wasn't a few months ago. There is something called Advance Checkin, but it's a little different.

http://www.advancecheckin.com/

We used Advance Check In when we sailed her last month - great service!

And while Progreso is a working port, we loved our excursion to Uxmal - especially climbing the ruins!

Wife and I will be on this cruise the first week of October. Can't wait. Any pictures of the Elation you could share? Would love to see how the ship looks recently. Have read people's reviews that it is in great shape, for an "older" ship.

Wife and I will be on this cruise the first week of October. Can't wait. Any pictures of the Elation you could share? Would love to see how the ship looks recently. Have read people's reviews that it is in great shape, for an "older" ship.

I do not have pictures but the ship was beautiful and it was hard to believe that it was an older ship.

I do not have pictures but the ship was beautiful and it was hard to believe that it was an older ship.

While the public ares are very nice, not all of the rooms have been updated.

Cruised her last month - still had that life jacket box in the corner of the room, old style TV and ugly/worn pink decor with chipped countertips and tile. The room was clean but definitely outdated.

No big deal on the pictures. Was just curious to how the ship looked to the eye really. Thanks for the update.

While the public ares are very nice, not all of the rooms have been updated.

Cruised her last month - still had that life jacket box in the corner of the room, old style TV and ugly/worn pink decor with chipped countertips and tile. The room was clean but definitely outdated.

Interesting. We are in V16 on our cruise in October. Saw some recent pictures of V14 and it looked to be updated with newer" decor, tv etc. as well as new couches and chairs in the sitting area. Hopefully since this cabin is right next to ours, it will be similar in style.

We've been to Progresso 4 times and will be there again in Jan. It is a real Mexican experience. Especially if you speak alittle Spanish walk further into the city and visit some local shops. I always buy Mexican candy there and other small items. Some stores will only take pesos but you can exchange a few bucks at a local bank or get pesos at home before you leave. It is one of our favorite ports. We always drink a few beers at a sidewalk cafe near the beach. And it is a gateway for Mayan ruins tours too. You can also take a bus tour to Merida-a much larger town nearby if you wish.

Archived