Anyone on Riviera visiting Lucca?

lionelricky

Let me just add here (because I'm too lazy to search out your roll call) that we used Tuscany by Taxi last October. An 8 hour tour for 6 people was €50pp. The van was comfortable and the driver was excellent. We started out in Pisa, then went to Lucca for lunch and the afternoon.

Mura

If you go to Lucca, book a reservation at la buca di san antonio as soon as you get into town(or before). It's a great restaurant and all the locals go there. Our driver booked it for us and we thought it was great. It's a lovely town. We were there on a Sunday so we went to Mass, to the flea market, and walked along the walls. Worth the trip. Enjoy!

Fully agree about the restaurant. We had a long lazy lunch there AFTER bicycling around the walls, both directions. I had not ridden a bicyle for over 50 years.....yep! over 50 years and I can attest that once you learn to ride a bicycle 'you never forget'. I will admit to taking it real slowly for the first 15 minutes.......LOL. Great fun!

Easy way is cab to train station...and train to Lucca (there are many). Make your reservation for San Antonio before you leave home. If we had waited until arriving, it would have been impossible, they were filled. We had a wonderful day.

Originally we were going to take the train (and I believe that quite a number of the people on our cruise ended up doing so) ... but when an acquaintance on the cruise found our taxi service, we decided to join them.

But it's certainly feasible to take the train on your own.

Mura

• 4 weeks later...

We took the train to Lucca. It was a short, easy train ride with a stop in Pisa. On the way back to Livorno, while at the Pisa station we hired a taxi to run us over to see the Leaning Tower because, after many trips to Italy, I had never seen it. I am sure that your taxi driver would be happy to make Pisa part of your tour, but I still like to take trains on my own, when I can, in Europe.

It reminds me of when I was young and adventurous!;)

If taking the train from Livorno to Pisa (whether or not also going to Lucca), please note that there are two train stations in Pisa. The first stop from Livorno is about a 30 minute walk from the the leaning tower. The second stop is only a 5 - 7 minute walk to the leaning tower.

We will also be on this cruise ( our 1st ever! ). Really looking forward to visiting the scheduled ports. The ship looks great and the food on board looks very tempting indeed. Have booked four restaurants and will then take things from there on. Nice to have a day and a half in Venice prior to departing for Dubrovnik. Looking forward to the early morning entry into Kotor. Have already learned a lot from seasoned cruisers and looking forward to meeting others during the trip!

Archived