QE2 - May Day?????

KenC

Over the ‘May Day’ Bank Holiday I returned to QE2 for a weekend trip to Guernsey. I must admit to never being a huge fan (the ship’s interior was too 1960’s for my taste) but this was a last look at the legend before the old girl goes. I’m sad to say nothing much has happened in the 16 years since my last visit to improve my opinion. OK it was only a three day trip, but quite honestly it was enough for me. Don’t get me wrong I have always appreciate her heritage, her Cunard traditions and her classic 1960’s exterior styling BUT behind that façade lurks a second rate cruise ship. Food and service were excellent and we were even upgraded from a C2 to a P2 grade stateroom but, in spite of this, shortcomings are still very apparent.

Public lounges, bars, shops, stair landings and circulation areas are all so small and feel very crowded when a near 1800 max pax capacity is reached (giving a ratio of only 1 pax per 39 gross tons). There are queues everywhere, with people walking more than 2 abreast even having to wait to pass each other on the boat deck or single file only possible on external stairs. Open deck space is very limited and on warm weather cruises the scramble for sunbeds (especially the few clean ones) must be frightening. Some cabins we saw were too small to swing a cat – I dread to imagine what the bunk bed variety is like. Our P2 ‘ultra deluxe’ cabin was smaller than many standard cabins on modern cruiseships and its large, but unmodernised, vinyl wallpaper clad bathroom, wouldn’t be out of place at a 2 star hotel.

Décor is generally uninspired, ranging from 1960’s moulded reinforced plastic and acres of worn, chipped and unimaginative timber veneer to modern brightly coloured carpets, thousands of tub chairs, roman blinds and vinyl wall coverings in the usual international cruiseship style. Ceilings heights are low and the poor lighting levels reminded me of the gloominess still apparent onboard the original Queen Mary. The only space that excelled in design atmosphere is the Golden Lion Pub but only because it is dark, dingy and smoky like most British pubs! Did I mention smoking? Yes, you can smell it, fresh or stale, in most places onboard – especially in older cabins like ours where it has had years to infiltrate the timber veneer. It would cost a fortune to refurbish and repolish all the old timber panelling, doors and frames onboard but that’s the minimum needed to return the ship to anywhere near the status claimed for her.

Of the dining rooms, I must admit that Caronia looked very elegant but so reminiscent of Princess Cruises. Mauretania was very ordinary in spite of the garish hints of art deco. All the Grills (especially Queens) looked jaded and worn around the edges. I could be wrong but I’m sure the red upholstered cantilever chairs in Princess Grill were there 16 years ago.

Entertainment was more or less non-existent (or for the quality of that provided, may as well have been). The Grand Lounge was out of action for production shows (well as much as you can produce a show on a stage the size of a dozen large hankies) because they appeared to be fitting a new moving centrepiece to the stage (this was the size of 3 large hankies).

Organisation onboard was sadly slow to react. We were told we were in the ‘wrong’ cabin over an hour after embarkation when we had already unpacked and begun exploring the ship – we were also told by the Purser’s Desk that we should get a move on as someone (an entertainer) was waiting to get into ‘our’ cabin. Not the best way to treat passengers? We were fog bound on Saturday, so obviously unable to land in Guernsey but announcements were slow in coming and no new activities were offered to those stranded onboard. The Guernsey run was attempted again on Sunday but it took nearly two hours to tender a little over half the ship’s pax onshore – at 100 pax per tender go work out how slow that was!

I know there are many who regard QE2 as the only ‘real’ passenger ship left today, but nostalgia blinds people to so many new things – as it did to critics of every technological advance in ship design over the past 150 years. Many thought the Olympic class too big, the original Queens ungainly because they lacked counter sterns, the Normandie too vulgar and QE2 too ultra modern. Hindsight (or is it nostalgia) has proved the critics wrong or at least replaced their views with a more sympathetic understanding. If just being on QE2 is enough for you then you love the ship, warts and all. If you are looking for a luxurious environment, comfort, space and value for money then you will not be overly impressed. An interesting experience for 3 days with plenty of photos online at the link below, but I fear QE2 does not compare well with her big sister and her end will probably be signalled by the arrival of a more 'luxurious' Queen Victoria. The future as a floating hotel, ‘Saga’ Queen or a pile of scrap is beckoning and after 36 extraordinary years it really is time to say thank you and goodbye.

http://community.webshots.com/album/341101655AJIbyb

Hi KenC,

I'm so glad I stopped by in time to read your well written observations on QE2. I so "get" everything you are describing, and yet looking at your carefully taken, beautiful photos I also see how much evidence of thoughtful design and love for the ship is still apparent. (Hideous faded red pinkish chairs and numerous other grotesque failings notwithstanding, of course.)

I think it would be so important to save QE2 in some form. Just as the first Queen Mary in Long Beach is a "rosetta stone" to the age of turn-of-the-century transatlantic passenger ships that preceded her, so does QE2 carry that heritage forward to the place where we it is picked up and manifested, however differently, in Queen Mary 2. In our age of "branding" and instant distortion and spin -- it is so nice to have concrete evidence of how it was.

From the photos, it appears the QE2 may be the most well preserved shrine of late 60's/early 70's "high design" (oxymoron, I know) anywhere on the planet. If only because those who forget (fashion) history are doomed to repeat it, we must preserve her!

Tony

Hi Tony

thanks for the comments. I'm afraid the photos don't capture the tiredness and the blandness created by the constant makeovers. I agree with you and then I don't ??? Well, yes she is quite well maintained for her age (or the parts that pax see) and it would be great if she could be retained in some form or other.

But here lies the problem - if Queen Mary in CA has problems paying her way (and the maintenance costs must be horrific) what chance does QE2 have? The worst scenario in say 10 years time must be a rusting QE2 moored at a pier somewhere in the world, under utilised and under maintained.

Perhaps the kindest thing might be - like P&O decided with Canberra - to let her go with dignity while she still has the image of a Queen. Keeping her at sea after Cunard isn't much of an alternative either - especially with a Sunday Newspaper report suggesting (however much tongue in cheek) that Stelios might consider painting her orange and adding her to the EasyCruise fleet - ahhhhhhhh!!!!

I guess at the end of the day, when push comes to shove, Cunard/Princess/Carnival will do what is financially advantageous for them and to hell with the rest of us!

Ken

Hello Ken

interesting and thoughtful assesment of the trip on QE2 on which i was also present

BTW, thanks for the nice chat that evening

I don't have that onhand experience on cruise ships.

"Tired" is perhaps an overstatement. I thought the passenger areas looked good. Perhaps the ship is not in line anymore what is nowadays expected from an expensive cruiseship.

Apart from the colums in Queens Room and Midships Lobby, there is not much that reminds easily of the original QE2 (if you look hard, you can see something)

Decor is warm and cosy, but not beautiful, and if it would disappear, apart from the colums, it wouldn't really be missed.

Still, the sight of QE2, anchored before Guernsey, from an approaching tender, of a viewing platform, or a pier, I find very very beautiful, striking and breath-taking.

I am still mulling about my report of my experiences on QE2:(

Johan

Hi Johan

we enjoyed meeting up with you too. It would be interesting if, when you write a report, you made comparisons with the Oceanic (1965) which you were telling us about from sailing on last year. Few people on this board will have the opportunity to hear about the other 1960's liner still in service.

Regards

Ken

Hello KenC,

Thank you for your very interesting review / comments on your recent 3 night cruise on QE2 & excellent photos.

Whilst I agree that in places QE2 is looking tired & could do with some more refurbishments in certain areas, I disagree with the 'jaded' and tired around the ages look of the Queens Grill. I was in a QG cabin for a 9 night cruise last October and have previously travelled in QG grade and found the last refurbishment that was done to the QG Rest & Lounge to be very good - this was done back in Dec'2001. It is very comfortable and has an upmarket feel to it.

I was interested to read that the service & food were excellent re the Princess Grill as I am dining in this Restaurant on my next trip in July - do they also cater much to requests for ordering off menu? Also can you remember what was the name of the band for this cruise in the Yacht Club & who also play on the Sun Deck next to the Funnel Bar? They usually have a very good group from St Lucia - from memory their name is either Opus or Logic?

The photo of the bathroom looks as though this must be one of the bathrooms that has not been refurbished as if I am not mistaken most Grill cabins now have marble bathrooms and or Art Deco style toiletry cabinets - I was very surprised to see such a dated bathroom in a Grill cabin esp. one for an 'ultra deluxe' cabin P2 grade!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

KenC,

In my earlier post it should have read 'tired around the edges' not ages - I note from your photos of the Queens room you mention the difficulty of trying to find a table. As you were a Grill guest you could have taken afternoon tea in the QG Lounge - a much better venue in so far as choice & freshness of sandwiches & cakes goes although it gets busy quickly!

I also forgot to add earlier that even after a couple of years ago taking a Carribean cruise on Celebrity's Summit a relatively new ship - whilst this offers better services in terms of Spa & swimming pools, etc & very good shops - travelling Grill Class on QE2 is still hard to beat in terms of quality of food & service - hence my eagerness to book a cruise onboard as often as possible. Also interestingly the Night Club venue on Summit was empty most evenings and could not begin to compare with the ambience of QE2's Yacht Club which is packed usually every night until the early hours.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Hi rjms74

The bathroom really was beyond belief for a cabin of that grade. Our original C2 cabin had a later bathroom with art deco type fittings, but although they were newer they looked cheap and out of place. I'm surprised that having been on Celebrity Millennium Class you think that the Queens Grill is upmarket in feel - any speciality restaurant of that class knocks spots off any of the QE2 Grills. As a modestly larger cabin and better dining are the only benefits of Grill Class then it has to be better all round (especially re value for money) to have a suite on a Celebrity Millenium class ship and eat in the Speciality reataurant every night.

We didn't need to order off the menu - apart from the normal standbys of ceasar salads etc. No complaints with the menu at all.

Didn't much fancy the QG Lounge - and it must have been at least as crowded as everywhere else during tea time as there was little else to do!!!!

The band by the way was Opus (I think) but I fear they were emptying the Yacht Club on the two nights we were there.

Coincidentally the Southampton Daily Echo has just carried an article regarding a future preservation proposal for QE2 which makes interesting reading. Link as below

http://www.thisissouthampton.co.uk/hampshire/southampton/shipping/SOTON_SHIPPING_NEWS0.html

Ken

PS another niggle was the fact that we were told by Cunard 2 weeks in advance that there would be 1 formal, 1 informal and 1 casual onboard - so having packed accordingly we were (as were a whole bunch of others) pretty cheesed off when the ship tried to push 3 informals! A pax revolt (they called it by popular demand) ended up with an optional formal or informal on the LAST night!

Well, I want to say that it's wonderful to have people feeling free to express their honest opinions. Bravo !!!

I want to be resectful of Ken's impressions of QE2.

I also want to point out that Ken is neither right nor wrong. His views are purely his views.

I found it hard to find him saying that ANYTHING was pleasing to him about the ship or the experience.

I won't bother going through a long list of the endless number of things that all of us QE2 lovers cherish about this ship, but let's keep in mind that there are many of us.

As one who loves QE2, I'm sincerely sorry to hear that Ken, 16 years later, was so incredibly disappointed with QE2.

Hi Tom

Of course they are my views, I don't pretend they are anything else. I know QE2 has a large fan base (which is hardly surprising after 36 years) and I have tried very hard to feel the elusive 'it' that some will defend to the death. But 'it' just isn't there for me - and I really have followed her career with great interest since skipping grammar school back in 1967 to watch the launch live on TV.

Perhaps I was spoiled by growing up during the heyday of the original Queens - seeing them at the old Ocean Terminal during their turnarounds was a magical experience when you could almost reach out and touch the atmosphere everywhere in Southampton. Even today on a very weary Queen Mary in Long Beach you can still get a sense of those elegant transatlantic crossings of the distant 30's, 50's and early 60's. On QE2 I've clicked my heels three times and turned around to find myself still in Kansas!

Apart from the crowding and the shabby bits there was nothing I really disliked about her. But there again, there was nothing onboard (apart from the excellent artwork and the bookshop) that impressed or greatly pleased me. I have always loved to watch her sail from Southampton, externally she is a very elegant ship. However, the wasted opportunities onboard sadden me and I won't be one of those sailing again.

Regards

Ken

Ken:

I think, like so much in life, one's love of certain ships is very subjective, and very personal.

I was very lucky as a boy to sail out in the Pacific aboard the ships of the Matson Line (SS Lurline, SSMonterey, and SS Mariposa) to and from Hawaii. I practically cried when those ships were withdrawn from service.

By the way, I very much envy you the fact that you had the chance in your life to see the Queens sail from Southampton. I can only imagine the thrill of seeing them sail from the Ocean Terminal, with hundreds and hundreds of people there to see them off !!!

Lucky you !!

Tom:)

WOW! T.A. Tom, I admire you darling for your love of

the Matson Line. You certainly stole my attention from

this thread. Thank you for putting a spark back in the

past as some people appear to think that nostalgia is

of the least importance.

Curls.

WOW! T.A. Tom, I admire you darling for your love of

the Matson Line. You certainly stole my attention from

this thread. Thank you for putting a spark back in the

past as some people appear to think that nostalgia is

of the least importance.

Curls.

CurlyQ:

My pleasure !!! Those wonderful Matson ships were a BIG part of my life. Which ships did you sail on ????

Tom:)

I know many QE2 fans would love to see her preserved, and are also aware of the QUEEN MARY's travails in Long Beach, but as an object lesson to what can happen, see whats happened to the ORIANA, a ship every bit as innovative in her day as the QE2:

http://*****.com/9tptc

The site is Chinese, it displays perfectly well without downloading additional fonts which you may be prompted to do. A sad day for ship lovers, but probably only the postponement of the inevitable.

Peter

I see from the latest Cunard Sailaway that ~

".... As our Gallic Getaway voyage is now sold out, we have got together with the organisers of Trafalgar 200 to offer you the opportunity to watch the Fleet Review from the magnificent QE2. Embarking at Portsmouth, there will be a superb reception and lunch served in traditional Cunard style. Following the flypasts, sail pasts and afternoon tea, guests will be transferred to the Captain's Table corporate boxes on Southsea Common for the perfect view of the Son et Lumiere, fireworks and floodlighting of the Fleet, whilst enjoying superb cuisine and wines"

For those on the Gallic Getaway (we tried to book last year but had to settle for May Day Weekend as it was already on Wait List) I would be a bit miffed that they are bringing a hundred or more (???? with 94 places still left) more 'guests' onboard to view the fleet review - lunch and deck space are going to be more crowded than normal. You can't say Cunard aren't good at making an extra buck though - the organisers are charging 1175GBP per person for the day and I would think QE2 is costing a hefty slice of that.

Ken

Re Easycruise mentioned, there was an article in the Sunday Times about this latest Stelios venture. How the other half lives. http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/art...1604895,00.html

David.

as a passenger on the Melody last week, we were all fortunate to see the Easycruiseone anchored of St Tropez, very noticable in the water, im sure he will find a market for this type of cruising, and at only £29 a day its a bargain... but l can beat that price, my cruise all in with scheduled flights and 7 night cruise fron Genoa was only £10 !!!!! via a newspaper promo the standard of service was superb in the bars, and the gala buffet would put even the QE2 in the shade dare i say, and l hate to say that !!

cheers

cunardqueen

as an object lesson to what can happen, see whats happened to the ORIANA, a ship every bit as innovative in her day as the QE2:

A sad day for ship lovers, but probably only the postponement of the inevitable.

Peter

Peter:

Yes, it seems inevitable. Very sad. I never had the pleasure of sailing aboard her, but Oriana appeared to be a wonderful ship. This brings a tear to one's eye.

Tom:(

I sympathise and support KenC, I boarded QE2 May 2nd (the day he got off), my 12 day cruise was most miserable I have ever taken First thing I did on my return was to cancel the 49day trip I booked way back at begining of year. The 12 day was to "try her out"

Everything he write is true, the crowded walkways, not helped by fact they also used these walkways for "art classes" the teacher positioned her teaching easel right in front of the door to the ladies toilets??? Smart thinking. Further up the walkway, they took space to sell DVD's of the ship. At night they also used same walkway as a "formal portrait " venue, they hung a "sunset scene" on one side and the camera an photgrapher was on the other side. Can you imagine the passenger traffic jam?

It seemed (to me anyway) that the organisation was in complete turmoil, every dept seemed in total chaos, inaccurate information, "dont know" etc. incl the dining rooms. I would describe Golden Lion as a "hell hole "smoke, noise and bad behavior from the patrons more suited to Twickenham Rugby stadium than a cruise ship

Supposedly the Black and White Ball is an elegant ball with all the ladies even wearing hats, on my cruise it was a 45 mins "dance" in the Queens room and not even the social hostess wore Black and White! Ditto for the Mardi Gras Ball, which took place in the Funnel bar. A 45 minute Ball in a bar!!!

My bathroom was so small,sink had no counter at all, I got "goosed" by the toilet roll when I bent over to rinse my face, and to use the shower, I had to sit on the toilet, raise my legs and swivel round 90% in order to be able to put my feet in the shower and then stand up. Imagine the contortions I had to go through to get out and get dries.

Never again.

I would describe Golden Lion as a "hell hole "smoke, noise and bad behavior from the patrons more suited to Twickenham Rugby stadium than a cruise ship

Glad to see thats not changed then! All part of 'Tradition' dont ya know...;)

Peter

Oh dear, Jimsgirl .... sorry to hear you had such a bad time - at least you weren't stuck on a 49 night trip. I think one has to have a certain frame of mind to enjoy QE2 - I don't know, maybe something to do with being onboard a time capsule from the golden age of the 1960's (Mmmmmm)!!!!

I think if they eliminated say 800 pax spaces (especially those put in shoeboxes at over $160 per person per day!!!) and gave the ship a consistently good makeover then it might be worth the time and money to take a trip. As she is now, she is too much of a museum piece and not for me or people who like a few creature comforts such as a little space to move in!!

Don't let the experience put you off QM2!!!

Regards

Ken

Oh dear, Jimsgirl .... sorry to hear you had such a bad time -

Don't let the experience put you off QM2!!! Regards Ken

Jimsgirl - I second Ken - the QM2 is VERY different from the QE2 - loads of space - now while I like both, the chances of getting t'other half on the QE2 again are 0% and on QM2 100%....or more!

Peter

Actually Cunard iis supposed to have a tradition of "Elegance, impeccable service,a refined sense of hospitality and relaxation", "freedom and peace" , I could go on of course.

Does anyone think these words apply to a bar with 2 TV's going, and a duo singing "Knees up Muvver Brown" and "I've got a luvverly bunch of coconuts" (slum dockland 1930 London -certainly NOT on what is touted as one of the world finest liners).

Themed Balls - does 45 mins in the Queens Room with not even the Social Hostess dressed in the theme count, - let alone her chanting "4 steps forward, 4 steps back , twirl partner right, twirl partner left, PAT HIM ON HIS BUM AND SEND HIM ON HIS WAY" over and over and over again count as elegant and refined?

Cunard sold this cruise at a big discount in UK, and it showed in every phase of the cruise.

Ads at the opening page of Cruise critic, off Cunard at 75% off , because their reputation is gone.

Archived