Living in Germany-Cruising Europe w/Kids

Oliter

Hello Everyone,

We are currently looking at going on a cruise this summer/early fall. We are currently living in Germany and due to my husband's job, we are planning our trip last minute. We have a 12.5 year old daughter who is VERY easy going and VERY easy to travel with. She is a smart kid and will enjoy pretty much anything and everything we throw at her. We also have a 2.5 year old son who is not nearly as easy to travel with (daughter was easier, much easier, even at his age) so we are just looking for some tips.

I am hoping to find a cruise line with child care for our son and using it if things get hairy. I don't use a stroller very often in general and have never used one when we travel. I always wear him on my back. We live in Europe, so we are not unfamiliar with traveling in Europe with kids. I am really just trying to figure out what cruise lines will be better, what itineraries you suggest and any kid friendly things to do at different ports. We are willing to stop for a 2 year old and we are willing to use a babysitter or child care on board if need be.

Also, would it be better to get two rooms or one? We can always put one adult in each room if need be. My husband and I would like some privacy at night if possible. I am not opposed to getting two rooms that are adjoining or across the hall from each other.

At this point we are really leaning towards an Eastern Med. Cruise, and hoping for Croatia, Greece, Turkey and Italy...but I wouldn't refuse Nice, Barcelona or Monte Carlo I secretly wish I could get all those ports in one cruise that is not a month long. Although, in reality, we probably COULD pull off a 20+ day cruise.

I am currently visiting family in the States and made the flight alone...just me and the two kiddos. It really wasn't that bad...the 2 year old had his moments, but I don't love international flights either, so who can blame him!? I actually feel like he IS getting better and better. We have really wanted to make a Med. Cruise happen during our time in Europe, and time is running out, but at times it seems easier to book some family resort somewhere in the Med and chill out for a week or two.

I have been reading through what other people have said, but it seems that most are living in NA, and I feel that makes a bit of a difference with the whole thing. So...what are your thoughts?

Also, the more I read, the more it seems like child care might be tricky for a toddler his age. He will be 3 at the end of October so we are JUST missing that three year old minimal age for a lot of the on board child care. Darn. He is potty trained. I am not totally opposed to forgetting the cruise idea and staying at a Villa somewhere in the Med, but I love that we can hit a bunch of places on a cruise. Although a week or two in Croatia or Sardina also sounds lovely. So many options....

My advice is wait until the end of October. You will get more bang for the buck after he turns 3. If he boards as a 2 year old- he will be considered 2 the entire voyage regardless of his birthday being during the voyage.

There is no reason not to travel in October unless it will effect your daughter's education or you absolutely have to do early fall prior to his birthday. There are fewer cruise choice though in early November. Many ships sail back to the US for Caribbean itineraries.

Kid really make a huge leap from 2.5-3. They are calmer because they are more communicative and less apt to throw fits. They are usually potty trained and this is not an issue with the pools.

The two cruise lines that would work for you if you need babysitting at night are Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. Disney and Cunard have baby areas but they are just "crying rooms" and the kids are infant- two+ years old and I wouldn't stick my kids in there personally. I've seen them and they are yucky.

Personally I love Celebrity but Royal is a bit less formal and there will be more casual eating choices on Royal.

The two ports that are easy to sail out of are Barcelona and Venice because the airport is minutes from the port. Southampton and Harwich are 1.5 hours from London airports, Rome is 1.5 hour from the port. So I would stick with sailings out of either Barcelona or preferably Venice (sailing in and out of Venice is fantastic!)

I've done Greece and Turkey and it is far more enjoyable than the Med. It is scenic and Istanbul is a hidden treasure!!!

If your child is under three and you have to have nightly babysitting I'd do the 7 night RCL Splendor of the Seas roundtrip out of Venice to Greece and Turkey but this itinerary doesn't include Istanbul.

Or the Celebrity 10 night out of Barcelona to Istanbul (September 15th). This cruise has many of the things you have on your wish list babysitting at night, great youth program for your older daughter and interesting ports of call but not Venice. I would get connecting cabins but not cabins across the hall. That means that your 12 year old is a babysitter at night and that isn't fair to her. Also a 12 year old likes to sleep in in the AM and it wouldn't be fair to her. I've done connecting rooms. You can close the door when you need privacy and have two bathroom and two tv's. It works great.

My advice is wait until the end of October. You will get more bang for the buck after he turns 3. If he boards as a 2 year old- he will be considered 2 the entire voyage regardless of his birthday being during the voyage.

He actually turns 3 on the 31st (and my daughter turns 13 the same day!) We really want to do this in Aug/Sept timeframe.

There is no reason not to travel in October unless it will effect your daughter's education or you absolutely have to do early fall prior to his birthday. There are fewer cruise choice though in early November. Many ships sail back to the US for Caribbean itineraries.

I understand and I am not opposed to doing a cruise in November. I would prefer summer, but we have other things we want to do in October and November.

Kid really make a huge leap from 2.5-3. They are calmer because they are more communicative and less apt to throw fits. They are usually potty trained and this is not an issue with the pools.

He is potty trained, but calm he is not. I really don't think an extra two months will make a HUGE difference with his personality. Now, if we could bump this up to NEXT summer I would love to do that, but we will be moving and have other things going on late spring, so that option is out. All kids are so different. If I had been traveling with my oldest when she was this age I wouldn't have thought much about child care, minus maybe wanting a few hours to ourselves. She was so easy going.

The two cruise lines that would work for you if you need babysitting at night are Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. Disney and Cunard have baby areas but they are just "crying rooms" and the kids are infant- two+ years old and I wouldn't stick my kids in there personally. I've seen them and they are yucky.

Do they only have babysitting at night? Do they offer daytime babysitting?

Personally I love Celebrity but Royal is a bit less formal and there will be more casual eating choices on Royal.

Eating choices are not a huge concern. In fact, we have been in Europe all of my sons life, so formal dining is a non issue with him. We are not really fast food people anyway.

The two ports that are easy to sail out of are Barcelona and Venice because the airport is minutes from the port. Southampton and Harwich are 1.5 hours from London airports, Rome is 1.5 hour from the port. So I would stick with sailings out of either Barcelona or preferably Venice (sailing in and out of Venice is fantastic!)

I've done Greece and Turkey and it is far more enjoyable than the Med. It is scenic and Istanbul is a hidden treasure!!!

We keep going back and forth! It is driving me crazy! I originally was completely set on Greece, Turkey and Croatia, sailing out of Venice, but now I am having a hard time! I am almost wondering if we should do a shorter cruise and then hope over the western part of the med and stay in a Villa somewhere....

If your child is under three and you have to have nightly babysitting I'd do the 7 night RCL Splendor of the Seas roundtrip out of Venice to Greece and Turkey but this itinerary doesn't include Istanbul.

Or the Celebrity 10 night out of Barcelona to Istanbul (September 15th). This cruise has many of the things you have on your wish list babysitting at night, great youth program for your older daughter and interesting ports of call but not Venice. I would get connecting cabins but not cabins across the hall. That means that your 12 year old is a babysitter at night and that isn't fair to her. Also a 12 year old likes to sleep in in the AM and it wouldn't be fair to her. I've done connecting rooms. You can close the door when you need privacy and have two bathroom and two tv's. It works great.

We actually live w/in driving distance of Venice, so we can always do it another time. I kinda wanted to sail in and out of Venice though. We wouldn't expect our daughter to constantly watch her brother. However, I don't think either of them will bat an eye about sleeping in the same room together. I think there is even a possibility that we will end up back and forth, with the toddler sleeping with us some nights. I also do NOT see my daughter sleeping in while we are traveling. Ideally, we DO want adjoining rooms though, but if that isn't possible for whatever reason, I am not opposed to the other room being across the hall.

Anyway, thanks for all the info. You gave me a lot of food for thought. I actually cannot find any cruises when I check RCL...only scandinavia and russia, which has it's own appeal, but I think we are all set on Southern Europe at this point. :)

We live in Germany and have been on two Med cruises in the last two years. My boys are older (or more exactly I don't have a toddler): 9 and 7 this year. We went on Royal Caribbean and enjoyed it a lot!

I am not sure about child care for under 3 - I believe there is a new program offered on some ships that will accept children that young? I also don't know that much about the teen program (as both of mine were in the regular kids club).

I have to agree with others: August/early September is too hot for much of the Mediterranean. We were at a resort in Turkey some years ago and it was so hot it was almost too much effort to walk to the pool. I definitely wouldn't want to visit any sights in that heat (and actually Ephesus was getting rather hot - especially for kids - a couple of weeks ago). Generally, Italy/Spain would probably be more bearable. If you could push your cruise to late September/early October I would do it.

My kids especially loved Venice, Istanbul, Naples (been twice: once went to Capri and once to Pompeii). One thing to note: Some of the Italian ports are quite a distance from the most popular destination (e.g. Livorno to Florence, Civitavecchia to Rome), requiring a fairly long transfer. Probably not a good idea with a toddler. On the other hand the Eastern Med can be a bit heavy on antiquities (my boys love ruins but pretty much had enough after visiting Rome, Athens, Ephesus, and Ostia)

In Istanbul, Athens, Rhodes, Venice there is no or only a short distance between the port and the places you would want to visit.

There is in cabin sitting at night, for $19 an hour, but it's not guaranteed because it's done on a volunteer basis. You probably won't get it during the day because the crew members who do the sitting are working their regular jobs. If you don't want to have your child around during the day, have you considered bringing a nanny? That would solve the issue of your child not being old enough for the kids club.

We're also here in Germany and my girls are 2 and 7. Last summer (June) we went with RCI and did a Holy Land cruise. This summer (and we *just* booked this last night) we are going in/out of Venice end of August.

Yes, I know my little one will not be in the kids clubs, but it is what it is. We have limited travel times, as you know, with the strict school rules. We will bring our stroller and our pack n play, and we are all in one room. Last summer, we had an aft balcony and I loved it. We taped up a sheet on the ceiling to create a space for the little one, and she took her naps there no problem. I don't see her going down as easily now for her naps, so they (the naps) will most likely be in her stroller. Unfortunately, we do not have a balcony this time around.

Yes, I am wary of how we will manage with the 2 year old on board, but at this age, it is challenging wherever you go, even if you stay home. At least on board, I don't have to wash dishes and cook and clean.

Oh, and in general, for certain must see ports, I would consider booking private tours just for your family. Last summer, we did that in Ashdod (Jerusalem) and in Kusadasi (Ephesus) and it was well worth the price and flexibility.

Would you consider NCL or Carnival? They allow children from 2 years of age. NCL also has a huge range of cabin choices so that you would be able to have a suite with a separate room for the children - allowing you the privacy you are looking for.

Just a thought!

Archived