Irving Nature Park / Rockwood Park

Hi,

I'm traveling on a cruise to saint john mid July and I’m basically looking for something scenic and don’t really like tours. I'm thinking of either biking or hiking Irving park or Rockwood park. This is my first time in saint john. I have about 2 to 2 1/2 hrs to spend at the park since I plan on trying zipline as well. I'm not a experienced hiker/biker but i'm 30 and can still move around.

- Do you recommend riding a bike or hiking through either park?

- What are the good bike trails or hiking trails for inexperienced bikers and hikers?

- Are the hiking / biking trails pretty tough with lots of hills?

- The bike rentals is in the city, is it tough to get to the park from the city on bike?

I can do fallsview park if you think thats a better option.

Oh and I heard Billy is the best place for seafood lunch, is this so?

Much Appreciated!

If you haven't visitied these websites they may help with your decision.

Rockwood Park: http://rockwoodpark.ca/

Trip Advisor has some reviews of the Irving Nature Park along with other Saint John activities.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g154960-d209880-Reviews-Irving_Nature_Park-Saint_John_New_Brunswick.html

Don't know whether Billy's is the best but it is good.

http://www.billysseafood.com/restaurant/about_us.html

I've looked at those reviews, but no one mentions how difficult the bike ride or the hike. And I think my main question is it better to hike or bike say irving park and for bike ride, is it fairly flat trail for bike. I have 2 1/2 hrs which would include the time it would take to get there on bike from the city center.

I've looked at those reviews, but no one mentions how difficult the bike ride or the hike. And I think my main question is it better to hike or bike say irving park and for bike ride, is it fairly flat trail for bike. I have 2 1/2 hrs which would include the time it would take to get there on bike from the city center.

Hi there

Firstly the general consensus is that Billy's is the best seafood restaurant in the city. Having said that, you won't go wrong at Steamers or Grannans.

I recommend Irving nature park for hiking. The trail(s) hug the coastline and are not too difficult, although it is over uneven paths. For biking you would have to be on dirt road and you will not see the water, which in my opinion is the beauty of the park. Keep in mind though the park is 10 minutes from ship by taxi; however, taxi fares are cheap compared to most other cities. You don't need to be an experienced hiker for this place.

You can rent a bike by ship, and bike to rockwood park and throughout the trails. There are small hills, but nothing overwhelming. Rockwood is woods and lakes. You can hike in park too of course.

Me personally, I would prefer the unspoiled nature of Irving nature park.

Fallsview park is not really a park, just a lookout near Reversing Falls.

thanks I think I'll take ur advice to hike the park. The coastline sounds nice. I looked at the website but didn't see any trail maps. I'm assuming there are many trails. is there a specific one u recommend that's scenic and for beginner, maybe hour and a half round trip.

While ill take the hike some in my party are older and may want to bike. is Irving or Rockwood park better for a easy scenic bike ride?

much appreciated!

thanks I think I'll take ur advice to hike the park. The coastline sounds nice. I looked at the website but didn't see any trail maps. I'm assuming there are many trails. is there a specific one u recommend that's scenic and for beginner, maybe hour and a half round trip.

While ill take the hike some in my party are older and may want to bike. is Irving or Rockwood park better for a easy scenic bike ride?

much appreciated!

Here is map of trail:

http://new-brunswick.net/new-brunswick/maps/files/irvingnaturepark.doc

It's more of a one way thing then return trip. You basically hike counter clockwise the perimeter of the park. There are exit points to main dirt roadway that exits the park. Hiking the perimeter takes about 2.5 hours. Rockwood would be more for biking and more appropriate for those with slower or limited mobility.

Archived