Best river cruise for Vietnam

Frankie Sue

I am a 3 STAR MARINER with Holland America and I have also cruised Celebrity, but never experienced river cruises. My husband and I would like to plan a Vietnam, Cambodia river cruise for 2013, but we do not know where to start.

What company do you suggest? From what I have seen, it would appear that most companies offer land/river cruise tours. We would like 16 to 18 days. Are these itineraries worth it? Do they include everything? Any hidden cost aside from air? Is it worth taking advantage of the early booking savings?

Any information would really help me get started?

Thank you.

Frankie Sue - There are several threads with some good info to start your planning.

The one with the most info is: AMA Vietnam http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1301812&highlight=vietnam

Although it relates mainly to the experience on AMA in Cambodia and Vietnam, there is a great deal of information that would be relevant to the trip on any of the high-end riverboat lines, including AMA, Viking, Uniworld, and Avalon (I think that's the list; it keeps changing as more companies decide to offer a Mekong experience.)

That very long and useful thread is a great place to begin your research and planning. It was invaluable to us in preparing for our wonderful trip last November/December, even though we did the land portion on our own and only did the Mekong cruise part with AMA.

You can find several other useful threads by using the Search function here on CC. Simply put "Vietnam" into the Keyword search term box (using Advanced Search), while selecting "No more than 500 responses" and highlighting the River Cruising forum from the list on the right hand side of the page.

One suggestion that I would make in your review of these threads would be to ignore a couple of posters who have tried to inject some sort of political note of self-righteous indignation regarding those of us who write about the experience and do not choose to bare our travel souls about the war (which in S.E. Asia, by the way, is called, "The American War"). Our trip of several weeks in Vietnam and Cambodia was amongst the top 5 travel experiences of our lives; and we would encourage anyone with an open mind and the ability to deal with circumstances unlike those in Florida to make the trip.

This review on the CC members review board by 2Fltravelers is excellent:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=80735

2Fltravelers also answered many questions posed by other CC'ers on the thread I posted first above.

This thread has some info comparing the types of boats used by several different companies:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1566399&highlight=vietnam

Happy Planning!!

Cheers, Fred

Frankie Sue - You are quite welcome.

It appears that all of the serious cruise lines offer similar land packages on either side of the Mekong River cruise - Hanoi, Halong Bay, Siem Reap, Saigon.

After having a look at those options, you might have take a view, as we did, to doing your own land package. We found that, for more or less (actually, a bit more, but not too much more ;) ) the amount that the cruiselines charge, we could do our own land package, with more flexibility, private guides, etc.

This decision will be determined by your comfort level at somewhat independent travel - in this case, it was not even independent travel, since our land tour was organized by an excellent tour agency that handled every aspect of the trip for us, per our instructions. We told them where we wanted to stay, and for how long, which boat we wanted on Halong Bay, and they arranged all of the details, including transfers, private guides, and airline tickets from Hanoi to Siem Reap. And - drum roll here - the total price of the private tour was no more than we would have paid if we'd made each of those arrangements on our own. Having one point of contact for all of the hotels, guides, and transfers is, indeed, priceless.

Cheers, Fred

and read the reviews,,looked at you tube videos,,googled same.

Ended up going with AMA,,,due to newest ship with balconies and seems to have been the company(along with Viking) that has been in business there the longest.Therefore,,more reviews and info available.Also,just took an AMA cruise and was one of the best lines I ve been on(have been on 8 previous ones with all the major lines).

Did book own air,,,better routes and pricing ..Got own insurance(cancel for any reason)..

Also,checked out each hotel(Sofitel) and top of the line. Price was slightly higher than some,,but you get what you pay for...

Good luck ,,and let us know whats best for you...PS..read the inc.shore excursions on each line..this is one place I d feel better going with group.And they sound very intersting.Esp.the inc.Halong bay junk cruise.:)

it amounts to quite a lot,,when cruise SO expensive..I got lowest quote from cruiselines,,and some internet agencies,,then asked for THAT ,,plus 5% cash back offer...Sorry,,can t give specific agency,,but can google and ask details(I also check BB in that agency city).

They can also help with details..

We DID get the in country air inc.in tour....would be TOO MUCH hassle otherwise.

Good luck. Lots to check out,,,can be overwhelming,,I know..so many variables to compare,,right??;)

Archived