VCR question

MelindaF

We are booked to have a Sky Suite March, 2006 on Galaxy. It states that the cabin has a VCR. Does the Galaxy have a library with tapes? Is there a charge?
In all my many wanderings around X ships, including two cruises on the Galaxy, I've never run across a VCR library -- even though we've been in cabins with VCRs in them. All I've ever done with the VCRs is use them to connect my digital camera to review and cull the day's shots.

Will be interested to see if anyone else has ever spotted them.

There is an in-cabin pay-per-view service, though.

That is really strange! When we sailed on HAL we had a VCR in the cabin and HAL had a pretty good library. We haven't sailed on Celebrity ships but in looking at the deck plans, etc. I couldn't find any mention of a library. Maybe someone knows where they hide them!

We are booked to have a Sky Suite March, 2006 on Galaxy. It states that the cabin has a VCR. Does the Galaxy have a library with tapes? Is there a charge?

Hi Melinda !

I know this is not going to help much, but I do recall cabins having VCR's, and when I was on Summit a few weeks ago (I had a balcony cabin).... the VCR's were gone.

Perhaps they still have VCR's in Suites though. IF they do, you would probably be able to get Movies from your Butler, or from Guest Relations. When the cabins had VCR's, Guest Relations had a nice supply of movies, that you had to sign out for, just like a regular library. At that time, there was no charge for this.

I am sure you can probably call Captain's Club, and they can tell you if Suites still have VCR's.

Perhaps some of our friends here, who have recently been in a Suite can answer this ?

I hope I was of some assistance.

Hi Melinda !

I know this is not going to help much, but I do recall cabins having VCR's, and when I was on Summit a few weeks ago (I had a balcony cabin).... the VCR's were gone.

Perhaps they still have VCR's in Suites though. IF they do, you would probably be able to get Movies from your Butler, or from Guest Relations. When the cabins had VCR's, Guest Relations had a nice supply of movies, that you had to sign out for, just like a regular library. At that time, there was no charge for this.

I am sure you can probably call Captain's Club, and they can tell you if Suites still have VCR's.

Perhaps some of our friends here, who have recently been in a Suite can answer this ?

I hope I was of some assistance.

MelindaF,

Galaxy Cat 5 and above have VCRs. At least that is the way she was when we sailed on her (and the Mercury, too). I noticed that Celebrity's website still lists the cabins that way as being outfitted with VCRs. Anyway, there was a list of available VCR tapes that you could get. The list wasn't huge--doesn't constitute a library--but there was a small collection of titles to choose from. We were in a suite at the time, and yes, the butler took care of getting the tape titles that you wanted.

Here is a photo of the TV/VCR setup in SS 1206 taken by another passenger: Galaxy SS TV/VCR

Host Andy, the Millennium class ships even as originally outfitted only had VCRs in the FV and suites. None of the other cabins ever had VCRs. For example, a 2001 photo of a Millennium formerly Cat 1A cabin (9052) taken by another passenger shows no VCR: Millennium Cabin 9052

None of the present day CC cabin photos show VCRs on the M-class either.

Anyway, there was a list of available VCR tapes that you could get. The list wasn't huge--doesn't constitute a library--but there was a small collection of titles to choose from. We were in a suite at the time, and yes, the butler took care of getting the tape titles that you wanted.

We've had VCRs on a number of trips (e.g., FV and FO cabins), but have never seen a movie list anywhere in the cabin. Where did you find yours, or did you have to ask for it? Once a decision is made, where do you obtain them?

We've had VCRs on a number of trips (e.g., FV and FO cabins), but have never seen a movie list anywhere in the cabin. Where did you find yours, or did you have to ask for it? Once a decision is made, where do you obtain them?

I cannot remember exactly to give you a 100% accurate answer as the only time we ever looked into getting tapes was on the Galaxy (5 years ago)--and it was for our kids. Normally we don't used the VCR for anything except for maybe its front panel A/V inputs for checking out our camcorder tapes.......

My recollection was that our butler provided a tape list for us and he provided the tapes once we gave him our choices. I don't remember if this list was in the suite already. A second time on the Galaxy, our babysitter was one of the women who worked at Guest Relations and she showed up with a couple of tapes in hand and I remember that the titles were on that list that our butler had provided.

Could be wrong here but seem to remember that X was replacing all VHS with DVD, at least in the suites. DVD players are now so cheap and DVD outlasts VHS tapes it makes sense.

Seem to remember a "menu" in our suite of about 50 or so movies and cannot tell you if it was DVD or VHS. Frankly, we don't do a lot of TV watching when cruising. Only one I can remember was the 2000 presidential election. On Princess for a 11 day cruise. Election day 2, election finally over, well after we got back ;).

Archived