First time River cruiser

Travel3

Hello Everyone, I am considering a river cruise in Europe in 2013 and have a few questions. Trying to determine which river to cruise is a bit overwhelming. Really would like to see Amsterdam and Vienna, but open to suggestions. I like cities and history. Any suggestions?

Travel3 - do a search for European river cruises and list the names and go into their web siters where you you find much information. Rather then picking a river look for one or two itineraries that appeals to you. Once you've decided then compare prices and ships. You'll be able to ask targeted questions about various lines.

Also about a third of the way down the message board home page you'll find the general category "river cruises". Post you questions there rather then on the roll call forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Travel 3. We're about to take our 1st RC in september with Uniworld. Our travel agent just got back from his first and gave us good feedback. When they dock, they often park side by side and walk thru other ships to get to land. Therefore, he walked thru the different lines and, because he's a TA, also got ship tours. He came back telling his employees not to book anything other than AMAWaterways or Uniworld. from my own research, all prices are fairly similar. Viking always posts slashed prices so you think you're getting a deal but it's everyday. What's important to you? Bicycles, whirlpools, comfy bed, balcony? The research is half the fun! Google away my friend!

We did the Danube (Prague to Budapest) and had a fabulous time. We took Grand Circle on the recommendation of friends and they did a lovely job.

We're taking Viking on the Seine this fall - they did a fabulous job of our China trip and I'm anxious to compare their Europe experiences.

Archived