Cell phone in San Jaun

Cougardave

But it IS in the US. Yes, Guam is in the US. Yes, Puerto Rico is in the US. Yes St. Thomas is in the US. Just because they are not in the continental US or are not considered a state, doesn't mean they are not apart of the US. My wife was born in Puerto Rico. She has been a US citizen since birth. She could run for president if she ever felt inclined to do so. She has every same right and priviledge as anyone that was born in any of the 50 states.

Based on what I know, calls from Guam are not included in AT&Ts plans because AT&T doesn't have a network set up there. However, they do have such networks in Puerto Rico and the USVI and include those regions in their US plans.

Part of the US, not IN the US. someone who WORKS for Verizon says they do charge if it is not in your plan. I have Verizon and WAS charged while in PR & USVI last spring. It all depends on your plan and carrier.

I sailed on the Victory last month out of Puerto Rico. I contacted Verizon and told them where I was going and I was told that I would be charged extra if I used my cell phone. So it was turned off!!

Hey. . . . Does anyone know if you get charged for international calls in San Jaun.

this is why people say americans are stupid.

is san juan part of america? yes. you do not get charged international. and if you do, you are on the wrong plan with the wrong company.

this is why people say americans are stupid.

is san juan part of america? yes. you do not get charged international. and if you do, you are on the wrong plan with the wrong company.

At the end it all depends on what the carriers consider what is Puerto Rico regardless of the political relationship. It is really a business decision. Are they doing business here? Then yes, it will be part of their network and very likely that there will be no extra charges. That's the case with AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile. They are all local carriers. Verizon is not a local carrier anymore since 2007 when they sold their local operation to America Móvil (a Mexican company) and became part of the Claro brand.

And even then, it all depends on your own plan because as I said earlier, even though I am a T-Mobile customer, my plan does not include roaming in the US and would be charged in the US whenever I travel.

I bet those that had said they were not charged when using a Verizon phone were here prior to 2007 when Verizon was a local carrier.

And please note that international rates and roaming are two entirely different things. We are talking roaming here since Puerto Rico is not considered international because it is in the same zone as US, Canada, Dominican Republic and many Caribbean islands (zone 1).

It has nothing to do with Americans being stupid. I read on a thread that if I had Verizon I would not get additional charges when in San Juan. Just to be safe I contacted Verizon and I was told I would be charged. I decided to listen to the Verizon gal I spoke with. I had no problem turning my phone off and I definately did not want ANY SURPRISES when I got home had I used my cell phone. Guess I have got the wrong plan......ooops :eek: Since I don't travel there often I am not going to worry about switching my plan!!!!

But it IS in the US. Yes, Guam is in the US. Yes, Puerto Rico is in the US. Yes St. Thomas is in the US. Just because they are not in the continental US or are not considered a state, doesn't mean they are not apart of the US. My wife was born in Puerto Rico. She has been a US citizen since birth. She could run for president if she ever felt inclined to do so. She has every same right and priviledge as anyone that was born in any of the 50 states.

Based on what I know, calls from Guam are not included in AT&Ts plans because AT&T doesn't have a network set up there. However, they do have such networks in Puerto Rico and the USVI and include those regions in their US plans.

Somewhere you have been mislead. Have you not noticed the 50 stars on the U.S. flag sir? Also, Puerto Ricans do not have a right to vote for our President.

Somewhere you have been mislead. Have you not noticed the 50 stars on the U.S. flag sir? Also, Puerto Ricans do not have a right to vote for our President.

Puerto Ricans living in Puerto Rico can't vote for president. However, those living within one of the 50 states can vote for president.

Truth is, you guys are splitting hairs. Is in the US... part of the US... who cares? Puerto Rico is not a soveriegn nation. They are under the stewardship of the US government. Their citizens are our citizens. They can travel freely here and we can travel freely there.

If I have been misled, it must have been by my Puerto Rican born boricua wife.

Just to clear some things up.

It is not international roaming because it is in the USA. However, different phone plans cover different areas, and therfore, it is roaming. So you can call it "domestic" roaming.

Some plans cover the 48 states. Some cover the 48 plus AK and HI and than others cover US territories. Many people have older plans. You must check with your carrier.

Even with a carrier, it is rate plan driven, so two different people can have two different answers. The only correct answer is to call your carrier.

Hi Tammie,

Not to push your buttons, but what happens to everyone living in Washington DC. That's not a state either?

Also, PR can vote if they move to FL. They can than move back to PR. They can not vote if their legal address is PR. Also, someone living in PR is called an American.

Exactly.

This thread has gone completely off topic. Bottom line it matters who your carrier is and what plan you have with them.

Hi Tammie,

Not to push your buttons, but what happens to everyone living in Washington DC. That's not a state either?

Also, PR can vote if they move to FL. They can than move back to PR. They can not vote if their legal address is PR. Also, someone living in PR is called an American.

I have family that is also from pr... They most definitely prefer to be called puerto ricans.

• 1 month later...
Maybe. When I just went on Verizons site "plan a trip" It shows a $0.69 for PR per minute & $1.99 for St Thomas for the voice rate. I would have to look back at my cell phone bill from March 2011 to see if I was actually charged but first I would have to figure out how to do that.

Im not sure if this link will work

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

I can confirm agc291's information. I just spoke with Verizon rep and they quoted the same per minute charges for receiving and placing calls while in ports of San Juan and St. Thomas.

I can confirm agc291's information. I just spoke with Verizon rep and they quoted the same per minute charges for receiving and placing calls while in ports of San Juan and St. Thomas.

Read (or re-read) post #26 of this thread. If you have Verizon, it all depends on the fine print in your plan. I have had Verizon as my cell phone service provider for almost a decade, and when I'm in Puerto Rico, calls the lower 48 are included and do not cost me anything extra. But, when I'm in St Thomas, I pay $1.00 per minute. In Mexico, I pay $1.99 per minute. So, it all depends on your plan.

Archived