snorkeling....

not a life jacket like you might wear in a power boat for a day on the lake... they're a special inflatable jacket (vest), so you have the option of deflating it should you want to do some skin diving.

btw, this assumes you're with a sanctioned snorkeling group; obviously, if you go-off and do your own thing you'll only have them if you bring them.

Most of the tour groups seem to require it. My guess is it's a liablity thing.

I myself am already fully floatable in the Caribbean;) , so i usually leave it uninflated.

P.S. I tend to travel with my own snorkel equipment, at least the mask and mouthpiece.:cool:

if your concern (in covering your back) is sunburn, that's a legitimate concern. the last few times i went snorkeling i wore a t-shirt so i wouldn't turn lobstery.

I HATE those vests - but most of the time they make you wear them. Even though you don't have to inflate them, they still are very burdensome to me. I like to be free to dive down to get a closer look and it's much more difficult with those clunky vests - a real drag!

Archived