Cozumel/Costa Maya/George Town/Belize City HELP

Man it is hard picking out what excursions to select. Each one seems like the EXACT same, in each port!!! Anyone have any suggestions on which ones to pick?

Which location has the best snorkeling and which package to choose for it??!

Time is coming up fast help is greatly appreciated!

Probably need more info on you on what you like to do, how active you are, if booze factors in, etc etc.

Costa Maya is still fairly primitive - although some friends did the kayak excursion last year and had fun. We simply took a cab to Mahahual, walked all the way through the village to a little beachside bar called Pez Quadro, had $2 Sols, beach chairs, nearby beachside massage and a small swimming area. Perfection. Relaxing.

Cozumel - lots of options. We did Paradise Beach in the morning, great beach place and then went to Carlos and Charlies for the required "wild" afternoon. But there is great snorkelling at Cozumel.

George Town - I'm assuming Grand Cayman here - again, lots of choices depending on what you like to do. Great snorkeling choices and Stingray City is a definite "must see at least once".

Haven't been to Belize but I have heard do an excursion and be careful there.

another vote for Stingray City in Grand Cayman.......we used Nativeway

in Cozumel we took the ship's excursion - Catamaran, Sail, Snorkel and Beach Party.......turns out it's with Fury and was fantastic! here's a link with some pics of the beach and the catamaran.....

http://www.furycat.com/cozumel.htm

found it listed on Cozumel Insider too:

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Furycat?From=Snorkeling

this time we are going to Paradise Beach for the day there.......if you want snorkeling on your own, I would check out Dzul Ha - have heard many positive reviews

Costa Maya last time was an unexpected stop - Progreso was cancelled due to bad weather.......we just stayed around the port area and did some shopping.....

This time, with the help of posts I've read on here, we are booked with David & Ivan for a tour of the ruins and then plan on at least one drink at the beach in Mahahual

You have to do Stingray City in Grand Cayman. I've done it twice with Captain Marvins and they stop at a couple of extra places as well for the same price.

I agree with Stingray City being a "Must Do." We did this excursion through the Buccaneer and had a fantastic time.

In Cozumel we did the Zorro for snorkeling. It was the BEST snorkeling! It was like being in an aquarium.

I wouldn't recommend Costa Maya for snorkeling, myself. I think that I would do the Cave Tubing there.

In Belize we went to the ruins through a private company and had a fabulous excursion (with Ivan and David), plus we had time to hang out at the beach afterward.

Have a great cruise!:)

Michelle

What I am looking to do is find the place with the best snorkeling and do that. From what I have heard George Town is the best for snorkeling.

I thought about doing the Tikal by Air trip in Belize City, if I don't end up doing that I would like to find the best tour to see the rainforest and as many animals in the wild as possible(not the zoo :) )

Not sure yet as far as Cozumel or Costa Maya, if the snorkeling is better in these 2 locations than something along that line. For Cozumel the Hideaway Beach Boat Adventure looked romantic, but still up the air.

I am also having troubles selecting my excursions, and my trip is less than 4 weeks away!!!

DH really wants to go scuba diving, which I can't do- I'm wondering if I should send him to scuba and find something else for me to do, either on or off the ship...has anyone gone off on their own excursion?

which is the best place to snorkel?

From what I'm hearing, the cave tubing sounds great.

In Belize we had a wonderful trip with http://www.belizerays.com a top notch tour of the barrier reef and some time on a private Cay... not to be missed. the staff was very informative and in the water with you....

In Costa Maya took a cab to the fishing village og Mahalal(sp) and went to Tapas for a day at the beach great food and wonderful atomsphere.

In Cozumel we did Paradise beach truely lived up to it's name and Paradise Beach Tom was there making sure it was wonderful

In GC we had done thestingrays with Nativeway last time so we walked to Eden ROck and did some awesome snorkeling again they have a bar and rest. snorkel rental avail. but the snorkeling is the real story here...

Hope this helps we were on the Explorer from April 24th-May 1

Re: Cave Tubing

Go to the Belize thread and read up on the cave tubing. Lots of people wrote about it. We were just there and wasn't what I expected. I would not do anything on my own in Belize. This is a relatively new port.

Grand Cayman: we took the Trolley tour - it was very interesting and lasted about one hour. Then we took a taxi to a beautiful public beach on the seven mile beach strip. You can also go to one of the hotel's beaches but why should you pay??? There was drinks and food available and the beach was clean and very beautiful.

At the port: there is a a tiny little cafe called Jail House Cafe right off the main street and they have delicious home made ice cream.

Cozumel: We have done the park twice - it's a lovely place. Lots to do...great snorkling. I had a drink in Carlos and Charlies - fun place - but it smelled like beer and was a little smokey. Just my opinion. One drink was fun..beyond that.....not for me.

In Grand Cayman I am def. going to do the stingray thing, any other suggestions for there?

Here is a list of the independent excursions that I gathered from posters recommendations. We did the Buccaneer and couldn't have had a better time.

Sailboats:

Buccaneer: http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/Stingray_City_Buccaneer_Excursion.htm

Captain Bryan’s: http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCityCaptBryans.htm

Motorized:

Captain Marvin’s: http://www.captainmarvins.com

Nativeway: http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/shiptours.html

Sotos: http://www.sotoscruises.com

Kelly’s Watersports http://www.kellyswatersports.com

If you meant that you wondered what else to do, I would think about going to 7 mile beach to hang out. Depending on which tour you take, you will have to see how much time you have left.

Hope this helps.

Michelle

Cozumel has soooo much to do! Have you considered swimming with the dolphins or sea lions at Chankanaab Park?

I also second going to the fishing village of Mahahual when you hit Costa Maya.

In Grand Cayman I am def. going to do the stingray thing, any other suggestions for there?

Definitely go to Stingray City, I did the Stingray City & Reef Snorkel Combo Tour through RCI, which was great. First we went out a little past Stingray City to the reef, where we snorkeled and swam with two sharks, an eel, and tons of fish as well. Then it was back to Stingray City which was amazing, the water is between knee high to about 8 ft deep depending on which parts you are in and there are hundereds of rays of all sizes, an amazing experience!

If you go on one of the morning tours, you can still have time to go to Seven Mile Beach in the afternoon and relax after your excursion, it is definitely a beatiful place to relax!! Have fun!!

We are having the same concerns! Maybe because we have sailed to 1/2 of these ports a few times. It seem like one big beach excursion. We live only a few minutes from the beach so not sure what novelty this will hold. We love the at sea days so I guess we will stop by a port and if it not to our liking we will head back to the ship. Im sorry to say ruins hold no interest to the ones Im sailing with. I need to have an excursion that would include a 7 yr old and a 60 year old. Kinda limiting! Doing StingRays in GrandCayman, renting a jeep in Cozumel - stopping at PB but going to see the whole island. CostaMaya will be a beach day. Belize is our big question. Shark/ray alley,tubes or rappelling w/o the younger and older in the grp. If it wasnt our first stop I would be more inclined to "do what you want to do". BUT most with us are 1st timers and dont want to leave alone.

Re: Cave Tubing

Go to the Belize thread and read up on the cave tubing. Lots of people wrote about it. We were just there and wasn't what I expected. I would not do anything on my own in Belize. This is a relatively new port.

How was the cave tubing not what you expected? We are also considering it. Thanks.

Costa Maya: Nothing better: Boat Blast.....drive your own little boat to the reef, dock and dive a truely beautiful reef, not ruined by too many tourists...GREAT

Grand Cayman: Captain Marvin's two reef snorkel and Sting Ray City. NEVER crowded, nurse sharks, eels, squid, zillions of fish, beautiful coral formations, then over to play with the Rays

Cozumel: EagleRay.com (small boats, three reef snorkeling tours...great staff, wonderful day

Belize: snorkeling with sharks and rays...can't be beat.

:)

We were at these islands in February and here is what we did - because this was our first cruise my husband insisted that we book evertyhing through Royal Caribbean...we also had two teens so our selections were somewhat base on what they wanted to do.

Caymans - Snorkeled with stingrays - this was actually cancelled due to rough seas through the ship so we ended up getting off the boat and just happen to catch MobyDicks leaving to do the same thing - this was awesome.

Costa Maya - Dune Buggy's - this was alot of fun for the four of us unless you get behind somebody who doesn't want to go fast. The only downside was alot of sand in your eyes on the way out!

Belize - this is the one place you want to have something booked because there is really nothing to do when you dock - we did the cave tubing and it was probably my families favorite excursion.

Cozumel - took a taxi and spent the day at Paradise Beach!

Any questions let me know!! Have a great time!

Archived