LeBistro mushroom soup

wrestlemom

Just a fancy garnish.

It's not a garnish - it's a bunch of herbs that is added to casseroles, and soups. I use parsley stalks, thyme and a bay leaf (sometimes rosemary depending on what I am cooking). The herbs are tied with string, to keep them together during cooking and and removed before serving

It's not a garnish - it's a bunch of herbs that is added to casseroles, and soups. I use parsley stalks, thyme and a bay leaf (sometimes rosemary depending on what I am cooking). The herbs are tied with string, to keep them together during cooking and and removed before serving

Oops. Sorry. Thanks for the correction.

:) wow that's how I learned how to cook-must have more quality wine to

really make it special-what else can you recomend-

Oh, the pressure is on and I haven't had a taste of the yummy soup in several months! Here is what I'd do today:

Rinse and chop:

white button mushrooms

****ake mushrooms, stemmed

portobello mushrooms

whatever other good fresh mushroom that Kroger's might be selling that day

fresh parsley

1/2 stick butter (or more if you're feeling too skinny and healthy! More is better.)

5 cans (or more, if you've got spare time) low sodium chicken broth

white wine(the boxed kind is fine)

1/2 and 1/2

heavy cream

pepper

Saute the mushrooms and parsley in butter. Then set aside 1/2 cup of this. Add chicken broth and wine to the remaining mushroom mixture. Simmer. Add more chicken broth. Add some wine. Drink some wine (I like the kind in a bottle for this step!). Simmer. Drink more wine. Add more broth and wine. Drink some more. Repeat. You really want this to get condensed, so you'll have to drink even more.

When the kitchen is swaying a little bit, pretend you're on a ship. You could ask your spouse to announce Bingo or something. Turn off the stove. Add the 1/2 and 1/2 and heavy cream. The amount you add will depend on how much wine you've had to drink. Put some of the reserved mushrooms in the bottom of each bowl, then pour the soup on top of the fresh fungus. Sprinkle on some freshly ground black pepper.

The recipe would probably be different if I'd eaten at Le Bistro last week... Bon Appetit from Mrs. Luddie!

:) wow that's how I learned how to cook-must have more quality wine to

really make it special-what else can you recomend-

Ah - you might enjoy my marinara recipe - it cooks for 3 days!!! (hiccup!) Happy Thanksgiving!

Edited by Lena B

the bread bowl can't be gone! leaving next week on jewel and have been dying for the now old recipe. we had to wait till i was no longer pregnant and our daughter was old enough to sail, so it's been like 2 yrs since we sailed!

Edited by figgifumi

the bread bowl can't be gone! leaving next week on jewel and have been dying for the now old recipe. we had to wait till i was no longer pregnant and our daughter was old enough to sail, so it's been like 2 yrs since we sailed!

It's the same soup, just now in a bowl instead of the bread bowl. The soup is still outstanding, sucks about the bread bowl though :(

Luddite,

I disagree, although over four decades separate my taste comparison. If you are financially "challenged" circa 1971, table wine and cooking wine are "one in the same". Take this from the voice of reason and experience, a/k/a fraternity etol consultant "1969", Theta Xi, MSU.

I "god fathered" a Gourmet Top and Bottom (42 Proof at 89 cents a fifth) fraternity party which left a number of "prominent" sorority sisters undie-less.

Although no pregnancies were reported, a lot of hangovers were.

Recipe (circa 1970) 5 ounces Groumet Tom and Bottom, 9 ounces Seven Up or Squirt. Stir slightly and chug like a champ, requesting another.

Leave under garments by the door.

Despite this debauchery, I still grew up to vote conservative.

I hope my wife doesn't read this post.

Edited by H&J
clarification

BTW

Gourmet Top and Bottom were "fortified spirits" out of some Baltimore based distillery catering to the "college crowd" along with an equally potent and dubiously tasting, "Cactus Jack", an 89 cent replacement for bum wine level tequila.

Luddite,

I disagree, although over four decades separate my taste comparison. If you are financially "challenged" circa 1971, table wine and cooking wine are "one in the same". Take this from the voice of reason and experience, a/k/a fraternity etol consultant "1969", Theta Xi, MSU.

I "god fathered" a Gourmet Top and Bottom (42 Proof at 89 cents a fifth) fraternity party which left a number of "prominent" sorority sisters undie-less.

Although no pregnancies were reported, a lot of hangovers were.

Recipe (circa 1970) 5 ounces Groumet Tom and Bottom, 9 ounces Seven Up or Squirt. Stir slightly and chug like a champ, requesting another.

Leave under garments by the door.

Despite this debauchery, I still grew up to vote conservative.

I hope my wife doesn't read this post.

Here's the thing: She uses white wine in the soup. I won't drink white wine without a gun at my head. Thus, cooking wine.

Even with the red, we don't drink from the box of cooking wine.

• 1 year later...

We just came off the Breakaway. Asst. Hotel Director Sonia asked me if we needed anything, and I replied that I need the recipe to the musroom soup in Le Bistro.

The last night there was an envelope at our cabin with the recipe. I'll scan it and upload it to this thread....not going to type it out. Until then, you'll just have to drool LOL.

It looks to have a variety of mushrooms. It's my favorite too!

Kevin

Oh, the pressure is on and I haven't had a taste of the yummy soup in several months! Here is what I'd do today:

Rinse and chop:

white button mushrooms

****ake mushrooms, stemmed

portobello mushrooms

whatever other good fresh mushroom that Kroger's might be selling that day

fresh parsley

1/2 stick butter (or more if you're feeling too skinny and healthy! More is better.)

5 cans (or more, if you've got spare time) low sodium chicken broth

white wine(the boxed kind is fine)

1/2 and 1/2

heavy cream

pepper

Saute the mushrooms and parsley in butter. Then set aside 1/2 cup of this. Add chicken broth and wine to the remaining mushroom mixture. Simmer. Add more chicken broth. Add some wine. Drink some wine (I like the kind in a bottle for this step!). Simmer. Drink more wine. Add more broth and wine. Drink some more. Repeat. You really want this to get condensed, so you'll have to drink even more.

When the kitchen is swaying a little bit, pretend you're on a ship. You could ask your spouse to announce Bingo or something. Turn off the stove. Add the 1/2 and 1/2 and heavy cream. The amount you add will depend on how much wine you've had to drink. Put some of the reserved mushrooms in the bottom of each bowl, then pour the soup on top of the fresh fungus. Sprinkle on some freshly ground black pepper.

The recipe would probably be different if I'd eaten at Le Bistro last week... Bon Appetit from Mrs. Luddie!

I have tried this recipe and another that calls for sherry rather than wine and it just gives it a touch of sweetness compared to using wine.

But I wouldn't turn either away.

I wish NCL would go back to serving in bread bowl.

Please don't EVER wash your mushrooms. :eek: They are like little sponges and will soak up any liquid they come in contact with. Just brush off any loose dirt. And "cooking wine" is gut rot, don't use it. Use whatever drinking-quality wine you have on hand. Personally, I prefer a little dry sherry in my mushroom soup rather than wine. :cool:

Bon Apetit,

Alison