Sushi on the ships???

My wife and I are sushi freaks and we're wondering if Royal Caribbean has Sushi to serve on their ships. We cruised with Carnival about 2 years ago and they had a Sushi Bar that was opened at various times at sea. Any info would help. (We will be on the Splendour in December specifically)

They usually have sushi in the Windjammer buffet at dinner time, but it is horrible as it is not real sushi. For example, the tuna roll is made with tuna from a can, not fresh tuna. The salmon roll is made with smoked salmon, not fresh salmon. The guy that makes the sushi once told me they don't use real raw fish for health reasons. This is in contrast to Celebrity (same company) that does use raw fish in their sushi. Go figure.....

I agree with Jerry, the sushi on Royal Caribbean and Princess is horrible. Better to not even attempt to eat it because it will take hours for that bad taste to get out of your mouth!! I don't know how they can make it so bad, but they do. My husband thinks it's because it sits around for so long, but I think it's a combination of that and weird ingredients. If you have ever eaten supermarket sushi, the kind you buy in the packaged container in the meat department, then you have a hint of what it tastes like......only worse. :( Don't be fooled by the thought, "what can go wrong with shrimp, you can't screw that up!!.....Oh, yes you can!!

I have had sushi on NCL and Carnival and both were fresh made with real sushi ingredients.....and it was delicious. I am looking forward to the sushi on Celebrity this year.

Sushi is all about "fresh". Any good sushi restaurant is getting their fish on a daily basis. Considering that you are out on a ship for a week, you have to wonder how fresh the fish is they're using to make the sushi.

I prefer not to think about that.

I did have the sushi on NOS 11/03 and it was awful. At the time they only had "cooked" such as shrimp and California roll. Doesn't sound like it has changed.

For all of those who are sailing Celebrity in the future---the sushi CAN'T be beat. It's just as good as high-end restaurants! They feature 2 sushi chefs--tons of fish to choose from and other fun Japanese "treats". It's a treat...plus it's free!

On Royal---the sushi is awful---unless you're paying for it onboard the Monarch--and the other ships that have the Jade restaurant.

There was sushi on the Radiance in the Windjammer in February. None of the nigiri or sushi rolls were raw fish - they used the imitation crab meat and vegetables. I did not see sushi rolls with canned tuna :rolleyes:

I actually liked the rolls - they were fresh and tasty. They also had seaweed salad which was VERY good - as you can tell.....I am a big Japanese food fan :o

you have to wonder how fresh the fish is they're using to make the sushi.

But you are in the middle of the ocean. Have a guy throw a net over the back and see what he comes up with. Ok.. maybe not.

But you are in the middle of the ocean. Have a guy throw a net over the back and see what he comes up with. Ok.. maybe not.

Exactly!!

I think "ranch steak sushi" would have been preferable to what they served on NOS that week!!

Fresh fish is nice but I think frozen tastes ok too if you let it thaw properly. A lot of the sushi joints in Vancouver use frozen salmon. I somewhat prefer frozen since it helps kill the parasites/worms. I hear there're more parasites in salmon caught in fresh water and who knows where your fish was caught. (Although the best sashimi I ever had was fresh tuna at the Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo.)

One thing I can't stand are rolls that have been sitting there or refridgerated because what it does to the rice and seaweed.

While I don't think tuna from a can sounds that appealing, my GF and I have made California rolls with real crab from a can (instead of imitation crab) and I think it's pretty good.

Fresh fish is nice but I think frozen tastes ok too if you let it thaw properly. A lot of the sushi joints in Vancouver use frozen salmon. I somewhat prefer frozen since it helps kill the parasites/worms. I hear there're more parasites in salmon caught in fresh water and who knows where your fish was caught. (Although the best sashimi I ever had was fresh tuna at the Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo.)

One thing I can't stand are rolls that have been sitting there or refridgerated because what it does to the rice and seaweed.

While I don't think tuna from a can sounds that appealing, my GF and I have made California rolls with real crab from a can (instead of imitation crab) and I think it's pretty good.

I agree with you about the refrigerated/premade rolls. They can be gross and soggy.

Also need to clarify something I said. There technically is no such thing as "fresh not frozen" seafood anymore. Deep sea fishermen are at sea sometimes for a week or more. Fish that they catch is almost immediately flash-frozen right on board. Otherwise it would be spoiled by the time they come back to the docks. I don't know if this applies to fresh water fishing.

"Fresh" sushi to me means both recently caught ingredients and made to order. Otherwise, why bother?

We sailed Carnival Paradise on our very first cruise back in 2000. We found this little rolling cart against the wall with all the makings of sushi inside the glass case. Then we discovered that a sushi chef arrived and made sushi at precisely 4:00 every afternoon. We had the most wonderful sushi every day.

There was no sushi on our Rhapsody cruise in 2002, nor was there sushi on our Carnival Victory cruise in 2004. Maybe Carnival did away with sushi. Such a shame!

I think every ship should have a REAL sushi bar on them!

ak

My wife and I are sushi freaks and we're wondering if Royal Caribbean has Sushi to serve on their ships. We cruised with Carnival about 2 years ago and they had a Sushi Bar that was opened at various times at sea. Any info would help. (We will be on the Splendour in December specifically)

Archived