19 years old on Carnival Conquest-What to do?

Uhfolks

Great to hear! I'll have to look him up, thanks for the info!

I'll check it out, thanks! :)

Don't worry, you aren't one of the rude ones in here ;) I'll definitely cherish the memory!

WOW, this is a tough crowd... Hey Unfolks, you're just up the road from us.... Glad to hear that your still looking forward to your cruise experience... Even though your catching a bit of heat from some of these "experts" here...

You have recieved some great advice from some of the true "cruise helpers" .... The late "Meet & Greet" on sail away night... Watching the Funtimes for "Singles Meet-ups" ... Hanging around the pool and sports venues...

I have 2 different occasions to share with you... Friends sailing with their 20 yo daughter... When ask how the cruise was for her after it was over she was un-impressed... Seems that she started with the expectations of a 24 hour floating party with 100's of fellow cruisemates with the same expectations... So after the sail away and her expectations were un-realized she sorta went into a funk that no amount suggestions would break....

Friends sailing with 19 yo daughter.... Went with slightly lower expectations.... Ended up meeting with 3 or 4 folks that she was comfortable with... We hardly ever saw her by the 4th day... When ask about her cruise she quickly let us know that it was the best time that she ever had on a cruiseship... To this day she is still in touch with the same circle that she befriended on the ship...

I have noticed that your age group doesn't have all the baggage that we older folks seem to carry with us... Status, families in tow, etc... Your group just wants to have the best time that the situation will allow...

Go on and have a good time... Introduce yourself to others and just maybe you'll meet up with 3 or 4 comfortable friends that are really wanting to make the best of the situation also....

Don't forget to keep your wits about you... You may have to watch out for your new found friends also....When your on a cruise ship your not roaming the streets of Milan... Trouble is everywhere... As the story goes "We're not in Kansas anymore Alice"

Oh BTW, I haven't confused you for a female its just that all our experiences have been with female friends...

Joey & Pat

P.S. Tell those Bulldogs to quit being so tough on our poor Camden Lions... ;)

Back to business...

There's a LOT you can do. The only thing you "can't do" is drink. But you can gamble, go to any club, go to the "R" rated comedy shows.

Remember your cruise director is a valuable resource of "info" and he/she might be able to make some suggestions for you.

EVERY cruise line seems to be the same way of being a little "weak" in the 18-20 range (this is an odd age because you're not likely to be traveling with a "playmate" or spouse). But if I recall they HAVE "meet and mingles" at various times for everybody but not for that specific age group. It's possible they had them but they didn't get a lot of attention so they stopped. There are likely to be 200 young adults in your same situation. They will be in the pool or sitting in the hot tub. Look over all the different activities and go...they'll be there. Even the 15-17 club they pretty much just "meet" and then they see each other on the ship like long lost friends.

You have recieved some great advice from some of the true "cruise helpers" .... The late "Meet & Greet" on sail away night... Watching the Funtimes for "Singles Meet-ups" ... Hanging around the pool and sports venues...

I have 2 different occasions to share with you... Friends sailing with their 20 yo daughter... When ask how the cruise was for her after it was over she was un-impressed... Seems that she started with the expectations of a 24 hour floating party with 100's of fellow cruisemates with the same expectations... So after the sail away and her expectations were un-realized she sorta went into a funk that no amount suggestions would break....

Friends sailing with 19 yo daughter.... Went with slightly lower expectations.... Ended up meeting with 3 or 4 folks that she was comfortable with... We hardly ever saw her by the 4th day... When ask about her cruise she quickly let us know that it was the best time that she ever had on a cruiseship... To this day she is still in touch with the same circle that she befriended on the ship...

P.S. Tell those Bulldogs to quit being so tough on our poor Camden Lions... ;)

I'll definitely be attending the meet-ups. Hopefully there will at least be a few younger people there!

My view of a cruise was exactly the same as the 20 year old....until I actually started researching online. They do exist, but with the age requirement of 21, looks like I won't be able to enjoy one of those for awhile.

I do believe my expectations have been significantly lowered from my original, so I won't be disappointed :)

As far as calling the Bulldogs off, you'll have to talk to Morris about that. He doesn't sound like he's planing on stopping any time soon, haha.

Back to business...

EVERY cruise line seems to be the same way of being a little "weak" in the 18-20 range (this is an odd age because you're not likely to be traveling with a "playmate" or spouse). But if I recall they HAVE "meet and mingles" at various times for everybody but not for that specific age group. It's possible they had them but they didn't get a lot of attention so they stopped. There are likely to be 200 young adults in your same situation. They will be in the pool or sitting in the hot tub. Look over all the different activities and go...they'll be there. Even the 15-17 club they pretty much just "meet" and then they see each other on the ship like long lost friends.

I find it odd that there wouldn't be much attention for them, seeing as it used to be the only thing that was actually planned :confused:

I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for them, no worries about that!

Agree and like!

OP came to this forum to ask questions and several posters have decided he's an ungrateful teenager. :rolleyes: I'll never understand why people feel the need to bash others--anonymity is a lovely thing for them. :cool:

The circumstances under which the OP is sailing with his parents are none of anyone's damn business. Everyone can choose to either answer the questions helpfully or not reply at all. Nobody came to CruiseCritic to be lectured about their manners.

Are we supposed to say "Hello Sweetie". We'll find someone for you to hang out with. We'll do the search, tell you where to go, where the teens are, we'll even find out the cruise director and tell him your plight. We'll take care of it.

I think we have a very "needy" cruiser here, needs to be entertained and have things plotted out for him/her. Clearly does not want family time.

I'll wait for the blast now:p

I'll bet that if a first-time, solo cruiser aged, say, 50+ posted up a thread asking about activities aboard, or ways to meet people, you would either be happy to provide helpful information, or at least not reply at all. You are presenting yourself as extremely bitter towards kids and young adults, to an almost shocking extent. If you're not interested in providing helpful information for the OP (which is the entire point of this website), then why don't you do the forum equivalent of keeping your mouth shut, and just not reply? You managed to provide a bit of helpful information and encouragement in your posts...why couldn't you just leave it at that?

The fact that the OP has been so appreciative of everyone trying to help, and has declined to engage others in arguments, despite your/their persistence, speaks volumes about all of you. I don't respect people older than me, seniors included, simply because they've managed to avoid death for a long time. I respect people who act respectably, regardless of age. OP certainly has y'all beat there. You're not going to get true respect from anyone of any age by being mean and bitter towards them.

The circumstances under which the OP is sailing with his parents are none of anyone's damn business. Everyone can choose to either answer the questions helpfully or not reply at all. Nobody came to CruiseCritic to be lectured about their manners.

Okay...?? I was simply responding to another poster and wasn't lecturing anyone. Then you go on to say the following to another poster--smacks of a "lecture about their manners." Seriously? :rolleyes:

Okay...?? I was simply responding to another poster and wasn't lecturing anyone. Then you go on to say the following to another poster--smacks of a "lecture about their manners." Seriously? :rolleyes:

To clarify...I meant to write "Agreed." directly following your quote.

Archived