Tikal?

robcassell

Am I just imagining that it was about 2 or 2 1/2 hours at the ruins themselves, or did I read it somewhere? Between the tender and the transfer to the airport in Belize as well as in Guatemala, plus lunch time it is hard to imagine it being much longer.

We had about 2 hours at Lamanai and it was just enough to get a sense of what was there and to accomplish my goal of climbing a ruin. Tikal must be much larger. Like I wrote, had money not been an issue I would have done it regardless, just to see that place would be magical.

Su

Just got back from Tikal, but not with a cruise ship. We flew from Guatemala city. From the airport in Flores (closest to Tikal) it was about a 45 min drive to the ruins, but we did a stop on the way (as did many other tours) so it took about an hour. There was a lot of walking at the ruins themselves, it is an extensive comlex, surronded by jungle and lots of wildlife. From the place where your bus lets you off there is an uphill hike which takes awhile. We had a few people in our group we had to slow down for, so can't say how long, but I think at least 10-15mins if you are in good shape to the first major plaza. It was a fantastic tour but we were on site probably 4 to 5 hours without lunch time. I think you would be very rushed to do it with less than 3 hours.

Archived