Chankanaab versus Paradise Beach/Cozumel?

Ok, we have done Chankanaab about 4 times, each time we have visited Cozumel. We are taking our 2 kids(18 & 21) on their first cruise on the Valor. We have never been to Paradise Beach but read about it here on the critic and What I would like to know is your opinion of these two beaches. What do you like or dislike about each. What do they offer? I would like to try something new but I don't want the kids to not have a great time. Is the snorleling better at one than the other? So does one offer more than the other and are there fees for Paradise? We leave on Sunday. Thanks for the help!

We went to Paradise Beach last month. We had a great time. It is not great for snorkeling though. For $5 you get unlimited use of beach chairs and toys. they have a water trampoline and a climbing iceberg. We rented jet skis $55 for 30 min. It was a blast. There was also parasailing and massages available. the food was good too. This beach is more of a relaxing type beach than some of the others. I would go there if you just want to relax on a nice beach have some good food and drinks and catch some rays.

Last time we went to cozumel we met an american living there who told us about 2 local beaches. One on each coast. We rented a jeep and went to both. We had the greatest time. The first was called Playa Bonito which is on the western side. It had a small stand for beers ($1.75) and great waves, 4 -6 foot. There were maybe 8 people there and it was a blast. The other one I cannot remember but it was right after the Paradise. It was brand new then. It offered everything Paradise did but for free. They wanted your food and drink business. Men on beach would bring you anything you wanted. The water was very calm, trampoline, iceberg, etc were all available. We had just a great day.

Hope this helped - enjoy

We did both on our cruise in April when we ended up staying overnight in Cozumel because of bad weather in Costa Maya. We had done a full day at Chankanaab our first day and so we spent our extra, unexpected half day at Paradise beach.

We enjoyed both, but to me they were a different experience. Chankanaab was a very active day for us, snokeling as much as possible and swimming with the dolphins. Paradise Beach was much more laid back and rather sedate. We snorkeled, but after Chankenaab, it was very disappointing. Saw very little in the way of marine life and the visibility was poor because it is a sandy bottom beach. The beach there, however, is beautiful and was a very nice place to take it easy. Service was very good. It is much, much smaller than Chankanaab and I have read postings talking about it being crowded. We had no problem in this regard.

My boys, 9 & 11 had fun on the floating trampoline and the iceberg, but I question whether they would have much appeal for an 18 and 21 year old. From Paradise Beach we could hear another spot which had music and it sounded like it was rockin, I think it may have been the beach party excursion. Sorry, I don't recall the name of where this was held.

I would go back to both, but would save my snorkel time for Chankenaab and my lay on the beach, beer in my hand time for Paradise Beach.

You might want to check out the Cozumel board. There's a recent thread about the water toys, iceberg, and trampoline at Paradise Beach......unhappy poster found most to be in disrepair, and iceberg was partially deflated and not in use.:confused:

Snorkeling? Stick with Chankanaab. Even PB Tom says the snorkeling isn't good at PB, unless you swim 'way out.

***Edited to give you the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=175535

We went to Paradise Beach last August and it was great. We did not use the water toys so can't comment on them. The food was excellent - nachos to die for! The link that Cotton posted has someone complaining about the drinks - I (and my friends) thought they were very good. My girlfriend only had two Long Island Teas and she was not feeling any pain.

I would think that since your kids are older , they may enjoy laying on the beach and soaking up the rays. You might want to go to the Port of Calls board and post a question to PB Tom and ask him if the water toys have been repaired.

The cost is $5.00 for the water toys but otherwise, it is free. They just want you to buy food/drinks. Unless it has changed, the chairs/umbrellas do not cost anything.

have fun!

I have to tell you...I was a die hard Chankaab Park fan and ave been there three times. My husband thought we should try Paradise Beach on our 4/9 Glory sailing. It wasn't my choice but we did Paradise Beach. Boy was I wrong! It's fabulous! We arrived around 9;15 a.m. and had the place to ourselves. Got a great spot with an umbrella and two chairs. The facility is so clean....someone was washing the restrooms, raking the beach, etc. The beach club is beautiful and the food and service are outstanding. Around 10 ish or so it started to fill up with other cruisers. We had 3 waters, 4 drinks, beef rib lunch as well as homemade guacomole and chips all for $47. You don't even have to go to the restaurant...you can order right at the beach. We had the same waiter each time...he was attentive but not pushy. We ran a tab for the day and my DH said we would tip at the end of the day. He said tipping was not necessary but we still did. There is a long wharf with a big thatched roof and some chairs. It's beautiful there and the breeze and shade was great after a few hours in the sun. There is a ladder off the dock which we snorkeled. Heard the snorkeling was good from others snorkeling that day. You just need to swim out a bit to the buoys. It's basically free for snorkel equipment - just pay a deposit and then get it back. I am sold on Paradise Beach and my DH can't stop talking about it. It was our favorite day. Lots of cruisers left around 1-1:30 or so - assume they were going back to the ship for lunch. We thought originally we would do the same but never left until around 3 or so. It was a perfect day. You can walk along the beach but it's a tough walk..the beach is at an angle for most of the way with the exception of right at Paradise Beach. Enjoy!

We too have been to Chanknaab (sp?) about 4 or 5 times. We will have 2 teens with us who are not into snorkeling. We are going to try Paradise Beach this time, however, if your 18 and 21 yr olds would enjoy snorkeling I would for sure do Chanknaab. They too have bar service, food, and the snorkeling is the best I have ever seen right off a beach. Tons of palapa huts with chairs.

Chanknaab does have about a 12.00 fee per person to get into the park and then a fee to rent snorkeling equipment. You can take your own if you have it and want to hassle with it.

I am sure if you just enjoy being on the beach you would enjoy either, but for snorkeling I would say Chanknaab Park.

We used American Express CC there. We were with my children ages 15, 24, 26 and 27. There isn't good snorkeling there but we were planning on going snorkeling in Costa Maya off the power boats. We all loved it and would go back there. Great food, drinks and very clean. Water clean and beautiful, no waves. I can't compare it to anywhere else because it was our first trip to Cozumel.

We have been to Chankanaab and agree that the snorkeling was great. We will be returning in July with 14 & 17 year old kids and will do a combination of beaches/snorkeling. If you check out the Cozumel board, many think that actually the best snorkeling on the island is Dzul Ha. The other advantage of Dzul Ha over Chankanaab is that there are no fees unless you use their beach chairs, and then they expect you to buy food/drinks. See related links:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=174742&highlight=Dzul

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=160896&highlight=Dzul

We plan on snorkeling at Dzul Ha for an hour or two, then continuing on to Paradise Beach for a more sedate, sandy beach experience-the best of both worlds. Paradise Beach is also cheap. There is a $5.00 charge if you want to use the equipment. Otherwise it is free.

Have a great time, whatever you decide to do!

Catch a cab and tell the driver Paradise Beach...be sure on price before getting in cab. It cost us $12.00 (4 people) to get to Paradise Beach and $15.00 to come back. There is a taxi stand at the front door to PB so no problem to get a taxi back to the ship. We had a great time at PB.

I have to tell you...I was a die hard Chankaab Park fan and ave been there three times. My husband thought we should try Paradise Beach on our 4/9 Glory sailing. It wasn't my choice but we did Paradise Beach. Boy was I wrong! It's fabulous! We arrived around 9;15 a.m. and had the place to ourselves.

mnsawyer: How long did it take you to get off the Glory that morning? I have read that debarkation has not been too efficient and Cozumel is the only port where I am considering leaving the ship as the beaches are really pretty there.

Did you have to tender?

thanks

We did not tender in Cozumel. The Glory was docked right at the Puerta Maya Pier which is very new and really nice. We had absolutely no issues debarking that day. We arrived around 7 a.m. and it was still dark. People started getting off probably after 8 or so. We got off the ship around 8:30 and barely waited 2 minutes to get off the ship after we arrived on deck 0. I believe there was only one other ship in port. I think where the issue comes is when there are lots of ships in port. I think the day we were in Coz, there were at least 8 ships in port and several arrived around 11 or so. We were the first to leave Cozumel but glad we were one of the first ships there.

Not sure if there is another beach that offers the water tram, etc., we did see others along the beach. There was a beach club down further from paradise beach with yellow umbrellas - think it's Nachi Com or something? Paradise Beach has the best stretch of beach as well. It's tough walking since it's so sloped and I'm pretty used to walking and it was difficult. I did walk to the end by the Reef Club?? the beach and facilty didn't seem that great. Glad I wasn't spending my entire week there.

Just returned from Paradise Beach (apr. 30). I have been to Chankanuub 4-5 times and will give you my observations:

Chankanuub has prettier water, better snorkelling, limited beach area, clean restrooms, great restuarants, excellent beach waiters, low slung molded lounge chairs and dolphin encounter.

Paradise Beach has great lounge chairs, excellent beach waiters, very limited snorkeling, clean restrooms, large beach but bottom is craggy and the water was very murky, this is a phenonemon due to tides at this time of year, seaweed also a current issue. Water trampoline and iceberg to play on.

Cab ride is $12 per cab to both. Admission to Chankanuub is $12/person. Free at Paradise unless you want to use the water toys. (then it's $5/person). Paradise had better access to the water but the water wasn't attractive when we were there.

We did both on our cruise in April when we ended up staying overnight in Cozumel because of bad weather in Costa Maya. We had done a full day at Chankanaab our first day and so we spent our extra, unexpected half day at Paradise beach.

Man....I wish there were more overnight ports....

We were on a couple of cruises with overnight stays.....one was Fantasy Fest in Key West.......the other was a 2 night stay in New Orleans during Mardi Gras........

Archived