Auckland to LA - 21 Nov to 9 Dec

First time posting to the board. We, too, will be onboard from Auckland to LA. We're really looking forward to the trip, and I've been lurking on the board for months. Thanks to everyone who has posted as I've picked up many tips to make the trip more enjoyable. I am signed up for the Cordon Bleu - my husband is not but will gladly eat what is prepared.

See you on board.

Mariners :)

Hi Mariners,

Welcome to our sailing group. I too am in the cordon bleu class so that should be fun. DH has no interest in it either, except, also, for eating the good food. Hope you will join us for our get together on the 22nd. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's 8:15PM in the observation lounge at the front of ship on deck 12. I sent a photo of the two of us to Karen and she has one of them also. I'm not too computer literate so hope she will take care of sending them along to the rest of you and circulating so we can all know who to look for.

Should be a fun trip.

Carolyn

Karen,

I cannot find an e-mail address for you. I checked under FAQ and it stated that it would be in the signature section if a person wants to receive e-mail. However, there is nothing in that section. As I don't post on boards, I'm probably "board illiterate". Is there a different way I can locate your address? I'm not comfortable posting our address on the board. If there's no way to connect before, I'm sure we'll still meet on the ship.

We received our documents last Thursday - in Canada - so hopefully, you will get yours tomorrow.

Thanks.

Caroline

Hi Karen,

According to my TA the documents got to them on 10/20/05. How soon you get them after that depends on how prompt your TA is in sending them off to you. I contacted my TA last week because they are in Florida and I wanted to make sure that there were no delays because of Wilma.They said they forwarded them to me the very next day after receiving, on 10/21 but it Still took almost a week to get here. Since you're leaving early you should definately contact your TA as they may be sitting on them.

Carolyn

Still no documents. I'll contact my TA tomorrow. I know my e-mail used to be out there but for some reason it isn't anymore. It is kcfager@yahoo.com.

If you send me an e-mail Caroline I will send you a picture of my self and husband and also of Carolyn and her husband. If you then have one to share you can send to me and I will pass it on.

Karen

Jack,

Thanks for the photo. Have you contacted Karen to get photos of all the rest of us before our meeting? We leave a week from today and I think she leaves a few days sooner. Glad to hear of another participant in the cooking class. I am really looking forward to it. What is your wife's name? Look forward to getting together on Tues but now with the photos, we'll probably get to meet everyone sooner.

Carolyn and Denny

Hi everyone,

Just thought 'd say that our room number now thanks to our uppgrade is 1014. since everyone else seems to be posting their numbers I thought I'd give you ours too.

Time is short now. Just found out that Air Tahiti allows 70 lbs per bag/ 2 bags per person but we have to fly from Redding to LA on United to connect and they only allow 50 lbs per bag. Hope all of you have checked this out for your flights because each airline varies in it's baggage limits and the excess baggage charges are steep.

Carolyn

It's a week today that we leave as it will take us two days to get to Auckland, and we're spending two days there before the cruise. We can't give our cabin number as our tickets came with just the GTY and no further information. We had a snowstorm yesterday, so we're really looking forward to warm weather. Luggage weight has been a real issue for us this trip because of formal wear, the "tux", work-out clothes, etc.

For those of you flying out of LAX on Nov. 17th on Air NZ, we'll see you on the aeroplane.

Have a safe trip.

Caroline

Greg and Gretchen,

It looks like we are on different flights - forgot to put the flight number on ours - Air NZ5. Unless your flight is delayed, you'll be leaving as we are going through security; though we might actually arrive earlier just to ensure there are no problems with lines/security/etc. Have a great flight!

Caroline

Caroline, Jack and Bonnie,

We have an all day tour starting at 0900 on the 19th so we needed to be on an earlier flight. What are y'all doing on Sunday the 20th, anything special? We thought we'd take the ferry out to Rangitoto, then maybe go to Devonport later.

Greg

Hi you guys,

Just looked at the weather forcast for the week before our cruise and was really disappointed to see so many rain clouds. We leave on the night of 11/14 on Air Tahiti and get in on the 16th because of losing a day. Have a car scheduled for Fri the 18th til the cruise on the 21st but still plan to spend some time on sat AM at the Otara Market in Auckland before taking off for the countryside. Look forward to meeting you all on the ship.

Carolyn

Carolyn - Hope the sun comes out and the forecast is wrong. Even if it doesn't, I'm sure you'll have lots of wonderful things to tell us about touring around.

Greg and Gretchen - We haven't made any touring plans for our time in Auckland as we have some business obligations. We know we'll have some time for the sights, but just don't have a set timetable.

Jack and Bonnie - Our seats were changed as the seats assigned to us were the only ones that were marked as "undesirable" on seat guru. I think they're putting us somewhere in the 50's. I'm sure I'll see you sleeping as I will be walking the aisle numerous times during the flight - trying not to disturb anyone sleeping.

If our paths don't cross before, we'll see you all on the ship. Can't wait!

Caroline

Hello everyone

We leave Sunday evening. We will spend the first night at Waitomo Village after visiting the caves. Then off to Rotorua for two nights. Then we will get to Auckland on the 18th . We have not made plans yet for Auckland. There is so much to do that we will just wait until we get there and decide. Does anyone know what time they will start receiving our luggage at the pier? I have heard they do stick to the 3:00 p.m. boarding time but I am sure they take the luggage sooner. We are staying on Prince's Wharf so would like to take our luggage over when we check out at 11.

Look forward to meeting everyone one Tuesday night. I think it will be a great cruise.

Karen

Karen.

Can't speak for all their cruises but when we left on our cruise from Seward Alaska on the Mariner, we arrived at the pier before noon and they had the luggage drop off area set up and people had already left their luggage. The weather was really bad so they let everyone on the ship at noon and our room was ready at that time also. I guess it varies from cruise to cruise on when you get to board even though they publish 3:00PM. Since this is not a turn-around cruise and not all the passengers will be leaving, I would imagine that most of the rooms for boarding passengers will be ready by the time the stewards take their lunch break. So whenever they let you board you should probably be able to go to your room also. In any event, I'm fairly sure that by 11:00 when you check out of your hotel they should have a area set up where you can leave your luggage.

Have fun on your pre-trip.

Carolyn

I really enjoyed reading the listings for this cruise. This is our first time with Rasisson and probably our 20 something cruise. We are not yet assigned a cabin. Does anyone know how full this ship is? I just wanted you to know I did take bridge lessons. I would very much like to watch or join in as your fourth. I have a cheat sheet I can share.. :) But like others, I don't want to hold anyone up that is good. I also signed up for the cooking classes. My husband LOVES movies and we both love sea days. OH, and he is a great TRIVIA PLAYER! So if there is room on a team, count us in. His mind is a magnet and we need to win a pin...or a pen is fine too. We are working on last minute air and have booked the Carlton Hotel--unless there is a better one more centrally located. Count us in and looking forward to meeting everyone!

David and Susan (Cabin unknown)

Hi David and Susan,

Glad to hear you will be with us on our cruise. Caroline, Bonnie and I are in the cooking class and will look forward to having another join us. I would love to have a copy of your bridge cheat sheat. I tried to refresh my memory of the game a bit with some of the on-line sites but there were so many things to remember that I gave up. Maybe I can take some lessons on the cruise. Since it has been over 35 years since I last played It all seemed brand new to me.

I am just finishing packing as we leave tomorrow afternoon. I weighted our suitcases and everything looks like it will pass. I only have a few last minute non-packing things to take care of, like taking our dogs to the Kennel, so I think I may be able to sleep through the night tonight instead of waking up at 2:00AM as usual and going over things to be done, trying to think of things I might have forgotten and wondering if I would get everything done on time. I think the worst part is over and now I am really getting excited and impatient to get going. From what Greg said I guess the ship is not completely full so that will be nice for all of us.

Bon Voyage to everyone. See you on the ship.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn, Greg, Bonnie, and Susan,

I haven't posted for a while but have been reading the board to see if you all have any updates. David and I are still planning to meet you all at 7:30 in the Obsevation Lounge our second night...looking foward to putting faces to all the names. I'm too computer illiterate to figure out how to email a picture, but look for a 6'3 grey brearded man with a 5'1 blond wife (and you'll know why we rarely dance together!) We'll be in cabin 732. We're leaving Wednesday and are staying in Devonport at the Esplanade Hotel. Looking foward to meeting you all on board.

Misty

Archived