Istanbul Transportation

LaPaloma

We are departing from Istanbul this October--anybody had any experience with cabs to hotels-- midday? Last time we were there, in the morning, it was a zoo! Should we arrange transportation thru the hotel? Is the best way to get the necessary Visa at the airport?I have heard its quick and easy! TA said that was the way to go. Anybody else on the Spirit 9 Oct to Athens? Found a great Business Class fare for this trip on Air France.

Taxis from the airport are easy and readily available. I don't know what hotel you are staying at, but you can "do it up" with the Ciragan Palace and have a very nice limo pick you up for about US$100...but it is not necessary. The ride is not too far and most taxi drivers speak just enough English. Just be sure you get a price...or the meter is turned on...before you get in. (Not unlike NY!)

You can get your visa to the left of passport control. You need to pay in US dollars. I think, off the top of my head, it is US$20 per person. Once you get that you walk to the right and go through passport control. It is very easy.

If you have any other questions regarding Istanbul (one of my favorite cities) let me know.

We sailed last Oct from Athens to Istanbul opposite of what you are doing!You will love it! We hired a local tour company to pick us up at the peir in Istanbul then we did a tour quick tour of that wonderful city, I agree it Iamboatman, one of my world favorites!After the tour they dropped us off at the airport. I am sure this company can arrange any transportation you need. My husband is out travelling but if you want the name of the tour company let me know. The company did a wonderful job, and we were pleased with the service!!

La Paloma, re: your visa question, we had no problem whatsoever obtaining one at the airport upon our arrival from San Francisco. It was quite easy, and actually cheaper doing it there than obtaining one at home.

I second the previous poster's comments about the Ciragan Palace--we loved it, and it also did well for us during the '99 earthquake (although that isn't my only reason for recommending the hotel!).

We also hired a private guide for touring, an anthropologist and archaeologist. He picked us up at the pier with a driver in a Mercedes, took us to the hotel to drop our luggage off, and took us on a marvelous tour. As I alluded to above, due to the earthquake, we only got one day in of touring, but I plan to return to finish the tour. Let me know if you would like further information about the tour company, as I saved his card, and he has an email address. I believe we paid about $300 for 13 hours, but everything is negotiable in Turkey.

Regards,

Denyse

must stay at 4 seasons in old city - do taxi for transport

and highly recommend Diva Jewelry near 4 seasons - ask for Adel - we bought gorgeus stuff there, and now still buy via phone and email - and he has wonderful designs - going back next year with a stop at his store -tell him hope and barry sent you - if you want his email, email us at hopekirsch@yahoo.com

Hobar--we are at the 4 Seasons--will take your advise on taxi--thanks for the jewelry store tip--our daughter will be with us--she manages a highend jewelry store in Beaver Creek, Colo. She will be visiting some suppliers in Istanbul, and I know she will want to visit a good store to see what they are selling. Thanks!!!

we got the visa at the airport - not thru hotel and didnt arrange transport thru hotel either (we did in hong kong and ended up paying like $100 for a Rolls to take us virutally around the corner from the pier to the hotel when a taxi would have been $5)

my only regret in turkey was not buying a rug - maybe next time.

as for the bazaar, i went in, walked around, but dont much care for the haggling aspect so didnt buy anything there.

Wow! Not wanting to haggle in Turkey is a real handicap. Between the Turks and the Egyptians they sorta invented the concept.

I have seen Turks actually disappointed that somebody wanted to pay the asking price for something. Ruined their day.

bgood

Remember, until 12/31/05, Turkey will have BOTH old and new Turkish Lira in circulation.

The old Turkish Lira (TRL) is about 1,368,500 per 1 US$ (not a typo)

The new Turkish Lira (TRY) is 1.3685 to the per 1 US$. (6 zeros dropped)

If you are spending New Turkish Lira, make sure you get your change in the same currency.

We will be in Istanbul in a few weeks and I've been doing some reading.

Tourists do get mugged and ripped off on a regular basis. The turks are nice people, but tourists are targets. People usually don't get hurt, but they lose stuff.

I recommend, based on experience in similar situations:

1) Get a passport wallet that hangs around your neck and insider your shirt and carries your passport, credit cards and most of your money. The web mail- order travel companies have them.

2) Don't keep your wallet in your back pocket as you probably do at home. The pocket can be cut and the wallet removed and you won't feel it.

3) Your walk-around money should be in a pants pocked pinned with a safety pin (yes, they reach into your pockets, grab what is there, and disappear into a crowd).

4) Don't trust fanny packs for anything valuable...especially credit cards and passports. Even if worn in front, the strap can be cut and the pack grabbed. Consider buying one of the fanny packs with a steel - thread reinforced strap that has a zipper lock clip. In a crowded, noisy area (like a bus) someone facing you with a coat over his arm can unzip your fanny pack and remove stuff without you noticing (we saw it tried in Hong Kong).

5) Don't wear a knap sack facing backwards. They get cut open and emptied.

6) Women's pocketbooks should have zippers in addition to a clasp with the clasp worn toward the body.

7) In a restaurant, never put anything on the floor or over the back of your chair...including pockebooks, cameras, coats or whatever. Even things like cameras, if sitting free on a table, can be grabbed.

I'm not trying to spoil your trip because, as I said, we are going. But little pre planning and care goes a long way toward enjoying it. Remember, these guys do it for a living and are very good at it...so the object is to be more difficult target than they want to handle.

Speaking of the Four Seasons, I just found a clipping (from CN Traveler, 1996!) that recommends suite 301 as their 'Room with a View' for the month. It apparently has a divine vista of the Haga Spohia. Unless it's moved or there has been construction <G>.

Jane

PS: LaPaloma- Here's my email address, a bit encrypted <G>

janepondatprodigydotnet

Istanbul is safer than most large cities. Having spent about a month in Istanbul over the years, I can't imagine approaching it with a list of survival instructions. Common sense: yes. Paranoia: you will lose the warmth, friendliness and fun of this exotic and fascinating city.

We have walked the streets, visited the sites, wandered the Grand Bazaar, had great meals, etc. with our children in tow (at least the last time we were there this past summer) and other than common sense precautions there is no need to that concerned.

It is great city, enjoy it!

BTW, the Four Seasons is in a great location and is a wonderful hotel, but if you want some real romance and great views from virtually every Bosphorus view room, check out the Ciragan Palace. It is a unique and luxurious experience that would be a shame to miss. At least visit and have lunch there if time permits.

I have to agree with Iamboatman. Istanbul is a wonderful city, and no worse than any other in terms of crime. Frankly, every city, including those in the U.S., is rife with pickpockets if you make yourself a target, which seasoned travelers don't! Leave the paranoia home, and you will have a much better trip. It is an amazing experience, and you will never forget it.

I also echo the comments regarding the Ciragan Palace, which has the most gorgeous views of the Bosphorus, and is a lovely hotel to stay in. I personally didn't care for the rooms at the Four Seasons (a former prison of historical significance), and much preferred the Ciragan Palace and it's large rooms, but that is more a matter of personal taste. You can also see the palace illuminated at night from the ship if you are sailing late enough.

Enjoy!

Denyse

I agree about the Ciragon Palace...we stayed there one of our last Sea Goddess trips and it was wonderful. Our suite had a vista to die for..and the food was very special. We didnt make our own reservations that time and that is why we needed the knowledge of taxis..etc. My husband had the hotels mixed up when he said Four Seasons...we actually are staying at The Ritz Carlton as our daughter is preceding us by 3 days..and we will catch up with her there. Has anyone stayed there?

In my opinion the best thing you can do to avoid being pickpocketed in Europe is to try and blend in so you won't be a target. I see many Americans in Europe dressed as if they were going hiking in the Colorado rockies when they are in a cosmopolitan European city. As we all know, you can dress comfortably without wearing sports/hiking gear!

Archived