Adults Only areas?

On ships that have the Solarium (check the rci website), these pool areas are limited to adults- although I think it is certain hours as some of these have pizza stations which the kids will frequent.

There are also certain hot tubs that are "adults only".

I wasn't sure if by "adults only", you were looking for a place to skinny dip (or similar!!). You won't find a sanctioned place for that on RCCL.

On the Navigator (I know from personal experience) at the SkyBar, which is one deck up and/or above the Solarium pool, there is a set of stairs and there's a small sign that says St. Tropez, which of course piqued my curiosity. I walked up and there were some sunbathers in very small thongs and topless ladies although they were face down at the time. It's very well hidden, not really talked about and if you wander up there, it's not a big deal. I don't think a child or young adult would even think twice about the staircase as it doesn't appear to lead anywhere. It is so "nondescript" that unless that ittybitty sign catches your eye, you'll walk right by.

That's funny because we went through the whole ship and we saw that staircase and didn't go up. I said to Michael thatif that was a Carnival ship, my understanding is that thatis where the nude sunbathing would be.

On the Navigator (I know from personal experience) at the SkyBar, which is one deck up and/or above the Solarium pool, there is a set of stairs and there's a small sign that says St. Tropez, which of course piqued my curiosity. I walked up and there were some sunbathers in very small thongs and topless ladies although they were face down at the time. It's very well hidden, not really talked about and if you wander up there, it's not a big deal. I don't think a child or young adult would even think twice about the staircase as it doesn't appear to lead anywhere. It is so "nondescript" that unless that ittybitty sign catches your eye, you'll walk right by.

Very interesting Sam. I was on NOS 11/03 and know the general area you speak of. Of course didn't know that there was sunbathing deck up there. I'll know next time!!

Considering next cruise on RCCL and was wondering what the "adults only" areas included. We have sailed Carnival two times and are familiar with their topless sun deck.

on a post before our cruise on AOS last week, it said that rccl does not allow it, unless it's a european cruise, but my husband said that he saw topless sunbathers above the sky bar by the "family pool"...i saw people up there, but he saw more..even someone at our table mentioned it too,:eek:

Considering next cruise on RCCL and was wondering what the "adults only" areas included.

I was unaware RCI had such areas (only kidding). Half the time you could never tell, RCI is a bunch of softies when it comes to enforcing their own rules. What I would suggest you do, is simply try to pick out the adult areas before asking. See if you can notice them without any help from staff. Then maybe I can say they are doing their job.

ADULT AREAS:

The Solarium

The Front Row of the Theatre

The Night Club after 12:00am (might be earlier)

The Specialty restaurants (over 16 allowed--could be 15 or 18, can't remember)

These are the only ones I could remember, again though, don't expect to see them enforced.

I believe specialty restaurants have an age minimum of 13, with exceptions for early times on certain ships.

The Solariums are for over 16, except for specific hours (posted) on cool weather cruises (e.g., Alaska). On the Voyager class ships, there is no Solarium grill, so there is never any reason for children to be in the Solarium (unless they are looking for their parents to check in and then leave). On the Radiance class (and I'm not sure which others), where there is a Solarium grill/cafe, then children may come in for food, but are expected to leave immediately afterward. The Solarium pools and hot tubs are always over 16 only (except as I mentioned above).

Topless sunbathing is only specifically allowed on European/Med itineraries, but we've heard about the St. Tropez area being used for topless on other cruises. Haven't gone up there ourselves, but we probably will next time we're on a ship that has one.

Personally, I don't see why it's a problem. Make the St. Tropez area adults only, no exceptions, post it as off-limits and inappropriate for children, and make it topless (not nude, just female topless, like a good portion of the world's custom for sunbathing). That way parents can keep their children away, adults who are offended can stay away, and those who prefer the European (and other countries) style of sunbathing can have a small space. Now, I remember once before that a poster said it wouldn't be "fair" for that area to be for topless sunbathing because everyone wouldn't/couldn't have access. Well, that's illogical, IMO, because there already are areas that are adults only, as well as areas that are kids only.

Anyway, off my soapbox. The bottom line (so to speak) is that RCI has no official topless sunbathing area except on European/Med cruises.

beachchick

You know, I think the St. Tropez area is fine the way it is on the Caribbean ships. It is not really talked about. If you find it, you find it, if you don't...oh well?? By putting up a big sign Adults Only, No Minors, etc. etc., then you will upset all those people out there who find it offensive and kids will be "tempted" to try to get up there. Because its flying "under the radar" so to speak and not really a big deal is made of it, I think its more discreet and less likely to cause a problem.

JMHO... It really wasn't a big deal. There was one guy up there though with buns of steel wearing a thong. HOTTTT!! (Sam is short for Samantha by the way).

You know, I think the St. Tropez area is fine the way it is on the Caribbean ships. It is not really talked about. If you find it, you find it, if you don't...oh well?? By putting up a big sign Adults Only, No Minors, etc. etc., then you will upset all those people out there who find it offensive and kids will be "tempted" to try to get up there. Because its flying "under the radar" so to speak and not really a big deal is made of it, I think its more discreet and less likely to cause a problem.

I totally agree, Sam. I think RCI has this right.

Archived