Don't forget to Tip the Youth Staff!

mary_228

For RCCL I do know that they share tips. Each staff member rotates through the different age groups. Each sailing they are assigned the next age group up from the previous sailing. So you do not burn out on always taking care of the younger (more work) kids. Well you can imagine that the amount of tips a teen councelor recieves is significantly lower than the younger ones. So the easiest/fairest way is to pool everything and split it out evenly. If you truly want to reward someone for doing a great job with your kids single out their name on a comment card. Even better write an email or letter to corporate when you return. These all go in their file and help tremendously when they want to move to a new ship or try for a child care director position.

Now I do not know if this is true with the nursery staff that is available on some ships. That is run as a totaly separate department.

Good to know, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from Allure of the Seas with a 6 month old and 2.5 year old. I appreciated the Royal Babies/Tots program so much that I went over my 20 hours budgeted for the program during the cruise and used more. We used them for evening/night shows and while we ported in Falmouth (hubby and I went to lovely Negril). I tipped them 20% of what the cost was at the end of the cruise. I can see some people tipping less, more or nothing at all, but for me it was very important because they took time to warm up my daughter's breastmilk when it was time for her to eat, they showed respect for family's privacy and my kids were content-this made a vacation with kids a decent vacation for adults too. One kid was so upset at first when the parents dropped him off that he threw up (kids do that sometimes : () and I observed the staff clean him up and clean the area/disinfect it immediately, notify the parents and give options, soothe the child and most importantly-NOT become frustrated. Anybody that's caring for my flesh and future in this manner deserves a tip.

Curious as to how this would work. When we have sailed Disney - we never tipped - didn't really think about it, because there are SO MANY cast members in the club. There are usually 4+ working the check in / check out desk in addition to the many members actually in the club... I would not know who to tip - and that $20 would be spread pretty thin if they shared it

Accepting tips is not allowed by cast members who work at Disney parks, so I don't know if this would run to Disney cruises too. But just a thought to keep in mind. I'd be interested to know.

FWIW I was told by a NCL kids crew member on the Star in January 2012 that tips are pooled amongst all kids club staff, as people working with the younger kids are more likely to receive tips. Our boys spent less than 6 hours total (for both of them) and we tipped $20 to each age group...which is how I found out about the pooled tips ;). However, I did write a little note saying who the tip was from, and left STYLE card comments for exceptional staff. I have always been impressed with the kids club staff, so I don't mind leaving a tip at all.

The OPs suggestion though is very helpful for me, as I have seen other threads suggesting $100+ as the suggested tip per child for a 7 day cruise. Considering the tipping guidelines in our home town are one week of salary for a year of service, this seems very high to me.

Who in the world tips a baggage handler $20 ???

Um, that would be my family! We overpack when we don't fly. :roll eyes:

As for tipping in the kids' club... if it weren't for Cruise Critic, I would have NEVER heard that this was even an issue. As several previous posters have stated, the cruise lines (well, Royal Caribbean in my experience) off no suggestions or guidelines in this area. If tipping is truly expected (not appreciated - I'm sure the staff appreciates the tips), then the cruise lines need to put this in their literature. They sure do for everything else, including the 'free' room service.

Another note... Five dollars an hour isn't a bad income considering what local day care workers in my area make (and they don't get any benefits, room, board, etc.). I'm not saying they get paid what they're worth, but no one goes into childcare expecting to get rich. My point is, if they should be making more, then, again, the cruise lines need to encourage tipping or pay them more; otherwise, they are probably making a fair/average income. JMHO

Archived