Drop off Rental car in Miami

onebzemom

We are flying into FLL and spending the night. Our NCL cruise will be out of the Port of Miami. We are thinking of picking up our rental car at the airport, but would like to drop it off near the cruise terminal. After the cruise, we want to pick up another car and head back to FLL for our next cruise.

Anyone know if there is a rental site close to the terminal?

Thank you in advance.

There are some rental car offices in the downtown Miami area. They're not terribly close to the port - you'd still have to get a cab to take you from the office to the port (or port to the office) if they wouldn't drop you off or come pick you up.

Do a web search for "auto rental downtown Miami, FL" or go to the major auto rental chain sites and put in Miami.

You'll also want to check and make sure that the downtown offices are open on the day you arrive.

I know Dollar list a MIA-Cruise Port location on its web, I've been checking it.

Budget also lists about 5/6 locations in Miami. Hours of Operation are also listed on Budgets web.

Will be doing the same thing in Oct. Renting from FLL and returning in Miami.

Alamo, National, Dollar, Thrifty offer a shuttle service from the Car Rental Center to the Port of Miami.

Avis, Budget, Hertz all have locations in downtown Miami that are $10+/- cab ride from the Port.

Enterprise has a location but it is closed Wed and Sun.

Edited by miamiyogi

The Car Rental Center they are referring to is a building near the airport, and would be listed as the airport location. It is a 10-15 minute drive to the port and most of the major companies (except Avis and Budget) have a free shuttle to the port. I did that in October with Alamo, and it went smoothly. I personally prefer that to getting a cab from one of the downtown locations. Another advantage to the airport location is that you can bid on a one-way Priceline rental if you want.

for the folks that have done this...

is it really worth it?

aren't there agencies that take you fll to pom and then back for about $20pp

even with family of 4, i can see 2 car rentals being more than $40 each time especially if you're going one way.

can someone break it down for me please??

For my family of 3, a shuttle would have been $60 each way ($20 per person each direction.) In addition to that there is another taxi fee, either airport to hotel if you stay in FLL or hotel to port if you stay in MIA. I was able to rent two one-way rentals for $25 each, including all taxes and fees. You would have to factor in gas, but I figure I saved about $50 round trip.

But there was the added benefit of being on our own schedule and having freedom to go where we wanted. The night before the cruise we drove to a restaurant that we really enjoyed. The morning of the cruise I was able to run and get some supplies before the cruise.

Renting a car is not for everyone, but I would do it if it cost about the same. Saving $50 made it a no-brainer.

Edited by CACkles

wow! you are 100% correct on the freedom part.

we are family of 4 so even more savings.

but somethings still don't compute.

SAS is company highly recommended on the boards. they're 15pp each way, 13 if you can get 6 or more. and that's point to point.

but if we do a rental car, say, fll to miami pier, then car has to get back and there's place at the pier. i've read hertz has a shuttle from pier to a downtown agency and maybe others. but that's drop off 3, drive to downtown (not far i know) and then catch their shuttle back to pier. do it reverse for trip back to fll airport.

the kicker here is the $25. that seems just amazing. airport taxes and fees can easily be $25 alone and then it's a one way rental (usually a premium). and we can't just take the smallest car either as there's 4 of us and each will have a large suitcase.

i've checked rentals on expedia and priceline and it's nowhere near $25 for airport one-way.

i'd really like to go this route as the 'be in charge of your schedule' thing works for me.

The cost of the rental really depends on when you are renting. We were in the slow season in October. Both directions was a full size car. One way they gave us a free upgrade to a minivan. (For $25!) the per day rate was something like $12 before taxes and fees. You won't get that rate just going to Expedia. You will need a discount code and maybe a coupon. Chances are you already qualify for a discount code - credit cards, Sam's Club, Costco, etc. one way I reserved through carrentalsavers.com and the other direction I bid on Priceline. They allow one way bids airport to airport. It is your choice whether to drop off family at the port first. You can all take the free shuttle from MIA to POM. It is a good sized bus with plenty of room. Also, you probably won't get rates like that until a couple weeks before the date. Also, there are no one way rental fees in South Florida as I understand it.

I think for us the SAS rate would have been $20 each because of our late arrival, but I don't remember for sure.

We did Hertz, from FLL to Miami-Downtown one way and they didn't charge us a drop off fee. I was told that they have enough people coming off the ships that they cars end up where they are needed.

Look for a coupon code through your bank, Visa, etc. I paid $30 including all the taxes and fees in February. It was a small car (Ford Fiesta I believe?) but was fine for us. It would have been a little cramped with our teenagers, but for DH and me was great. They tried to sell me an upgrade for $10 to a full sized car. Even $40 for a full sized car is less than the cost of the shuttle one way for 4 people.

The car allows us to run around a little bit - dinner the night before, a stop at the mall when I realized I had left my book at home, and the drug store for nail clippers. No way would we have been able to do all that in a shuttle.

I'm planning the same tactic for the next cruise. We took a shuttle back from POM to FLL last year. Not sure yet what we will do this next year.

Thank you to everyone. Just the information I needed! I have been price checking and even if we were to break even (rental vs shuttle), it is better that we have the freedom to travel how we want. My parents have never been to FLL or MIA, so it will be nice to do a little sight seeing. Also, we plan on spending a day in the Everglades after cruise as we head back to FLL.

Now, I need to get a good price.

:) thanks, again. denise

we're arriving oct 13 for 14th cruise.

cackles, i think you've got this down. but prices even with web page you gave are nowhere near 25 or even 35. hertz, the only one that shows downtown location when i do a generic search (priceline, expedia) are 105 for a tiny car that will fit the 4 of us, but the bags would need to be tied to the roof like a circus clown car ;-)

but i get it to wait. our plan now is to do hotel we like that has airport shuttle and then take shuttle back to airport where we can take the train to the miami airport and then either taxi from there ($24) or the metrorail to within 1m of the peir.

but i'm a bit lost on one of your comments.

You can all take the free shuttle from MIA to POM.

is MIA the mia as in miami airport or just maimi in general, like the downtown hertz terminal. because i can't find a free shuttle from the MIA airport to the pier (POM). if that exists, then i know we're taking the train from fll airport to MIA airport.

Algebralovr - i've found the hertz downtown location and it's close. i can see how they'd take your from there to peir no charge, but all others appear to be on miami beach and that's not really convenient to POM. are there other rental agencies downtown and they're just not coming up in my searches?

thanks to all, you've been super help!

ownercarry

Just did a fake booking for your dates on Budget using code Y937800, p/u at FLL and returning to Miami using rtn location at 82nd. ave SE (M5E) and you can get a mid size to larger in the 42.00-46.00 + taxes range. Pay at the counter rate.

Check it out may be what you are looking for.

I'm sure someone will correct me on the return location, didn't mapquest it, but the rtn is the first listed after the airport location.

The address is actually 89 SE 2nd St. (M5E). Just did a mapquest for it and it is 5 minutes ( 1.74 miles) from Port.

Hope this helps!

Your exactly right Terry. Great info. Here is a link of the map.:D:D

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=89+Southeast+2nd+Street,+Miami,+FL&daddr=Port+of+Miami,+Miami,+FL&hl=en&sll=39.356933,-84.36051&sspn=1.497146,2.90863&geocode=FSJCiQEdV2A4-ym5yfNFnLbZiDFaZbQutAVg-g%3BFa1YiQEdtpY4-yHkYbFHUPLj0ynj5iG8IrTZiDHkYbFHUPLj0w&oq=port+of+mia&t=h&mra=ls&z=16

ownercarry

Just did a fake booking for your dates on Budget using code Y937800, p/u at FLL and returning to Miami using rtn location at 82nd. ave SE (M5E) and you can get a mid size to larger in the 42.00-46.00 + taxes range. Pay at the counter rate.

Check it out may be what you are looking for.

I'm sure someone will correct me on the return location, didn't mapquest it, but the rtn is the first listed after the airport location.

Wow beerman, that code just saved me $17 from the rate I had with another code :D. I'm looking to book but where is that code from? Do I need an ID or some sort of card? I'd hate to book and then pay full price. I can use my BJs membership and get a minivan from Dollar that has the free shuttle for the $17 more but I have a BJs card if they ask for it.

Also, dropping off at the Downtown office instead of the airport location. Would there be plenty of taxi's to take you to the port? I am a family of 5 with luggage so I definately need a van taxi. Taking 2 taxis will definately take away the savings.

Wow beerman, that code just saved me $17 from the rate I had with another code :D. I'm looking to book but where is that code from? Do I need an ID or some sort of card? I'd hate to book and then pay full price. I can use my BJs membership and get a minivan from Dollar that has the free shuttle for the $17 more but I have a BJs card if they ask for it.

Also, dropping off at the Downtown office instead of the airport location. Would there be plenty of taxi's to take you to the port? I am a family of 5 with luggage so I definately need a van taxi. Taking 2 taxis will definately take away the savings.

I lost the booking due to inactivity and now when I go back in with that code its back at the rate I previously had :(

LOVE the camaraderie here!

ok, did that myself and get 42-44 depending on car size and then used priceline to get an idea of the taxes and fees. 22 bucks!! and there's no one way thing in there either, just the usual way overpriced airport fees. so overall, this option is a tiny bit more than SAS and getting picked up when we want and dropped right at POM.

something else! you are spot on for their downtown address. that took a bit of doing to find. everything wants to default you to miami beach that i don't think would have a free shuttle to POM. but the problem is, the downtown office closes at 1pm on the 14th (day of our cruise) because it's a sunday. many cruise on saturday too so i'd say call that location for hours and when the last shuttle is.

still hunting for that $25 all-in rental :-)

LOVE the camaraderie here!

ok, did that myself and get 42-44 depending on car size and then used priceline to get an idea of the taxes and fees. 22 bucks!! and there's no one way thing in there either, just the usual way overpriced airport fees. so overall, this option is a tiny bit more than SAS and getting picked up when we want and dropped right at POM.

something else! you are spot on for their downtown address. that took a bit of doing to find. everything wants to default you to miami beach that i don't think would have a free shuttle to POM. but the problem is, the downtown office closes at 1pm on the 14th (day of our cruise) because it's a sunday. many cruise on saturday too so i'd say call that location for hours and when the last shuttle is.

still hunting for that $25 all-in rental :-)

OK, for the best rates you are going to want to return to Miami Airport (MIA). That is also where the free shuttle is to the Port. To use the free shuttle you have to be renting or returning a car with one of the following agencies: Alamo, Enterprise, National, Thrifty or Dollar. Hertz has the same arrangement at their downtown location, but I've never found Hertz to offer the lowest rates. You might or might not find decent rates in the next month or so, but, unless there's some big convention going on or something, you'll get the best rate within a week or two of your travel.

girlscruise2011

Not sure if you need anything else, other than the code. I actually got it off of another post here on CC.

Pretty sure if you book using that code and actually rent you will get an e-mail conf. # from Budget.

And DW wonders why I spend time researching. LOL

girlscruise2011

Not sure if you need anything else, other than the code. I actually got it off of another post here on CC.

Pretty sure if you book using that code and actually rent you will get an e-mail conf. # from Budget.

And DW wonders why I spend time researching. LOL

I'm going to go home and try the code on my laptop. Maybe something with the cookies made the rate disappear. I should have booked it while I had it but I guess thats why I shouldn't be on the boards during work...work keeps distracting me ;)