I HATE Buffets

Marillian

I'm curious, why do you hate buffets?

I am the OP. This is my opinion, your view may vary. My dislike is not because of eating too much. Those that are mocking others for being cautious about germs may be too quick to judge. I am in cancer recovery. Chemo and radiation compromises the immune system, so I do not put myself at any unnecessary risk if I can at all help it.

IMO, Buffets are unsanitary and germ-ridden. How do I know that the people touching the serving ware washed their hands after going to the bathroom before touching them? Or they could be sick and passing along those germs. I've seen people pick up food with their fingers and then put it back in the serving tray. I've seen people eating directly from the buffet.

While I know that the same could hold true for a wait-staff and restaurant personnel, the risk is lessened a bit rather than 1000 people handling things.

I am the way I am because I HAVE to be.

First, I've never seen a thousand people handle ONE thing, kind of getting carried away with that, aren't you? Same with the tray of each food, not one container will have enough food in it for a thousand people.

Of all the buffets I've been too, all silverware has been individually wrapped, so no touchy touchy. In the MDR, how long has some of the silverware been out with thongs of people walking by trying to find their table. Many airborne particles fly by. Do you see the server wash hands after picking up a menu from ANY individual? And wipe off a menu? The DR is not a sterile place just because it looks clean with the eyes.

Perhaps your next cruise should be delayed a bit until you gather up more strength and immunity. Worrying about being compromised doesn't help.

Brick wall, meet head!:eek:

You really shouldn't keep trying to put your head through a brickwall. You may need carols (who hates the buffet as well) haldol treatment. As I understand it head bashing and trauma leads to eating at buffets.

First, I've never seen a thousand people handle ONE thing, kind of getting carried away with that, aren't you? Same with the tray of each food, not one container will have enough food in it for a thousand people.

Of all the buffets I've been too, all silverware has been individually wrapped, so no touchy touchy. In the MDR, how long has some of the silverware been out with thongs of people walking by trying to find their table. Many airborne particles fly by. Do you see the server wash hands after picking up a menu from ANY individual? And wipe off a menu? The DR is not a sterile place just because it looks clean with the eyes.

Perhaps your next cruise should be delayed a bit until you gather up more strength and immunity. Worrying about being compromised doesn't help.

All the buffets have wrapped silverwear? So you haven't really been to many certainly not many on most cruise lines.

You really shouldn't keep trying to put your head through a brickwall. You may need carols (who hates the buffet as well) haldol treatment. As I understand it head bashing and trauma leads to eating at buffets.

I'm just gonna take a wild guess here; are you by chance a politician? :eek:

Unwashed masses?

Cruise ships do not exist in some time warp version of the 60s in the Haight Ashbury district of San Francisco. Jeez.

Figure of speech but the 60 hippies were probably more hygenic than many people are today. They certainly were brought up with better maners at and away from the table.

Some of the posters need to go to the best restaurant in their town - and spend about an hour in the kitchen. Even the finest restaurants that get passing grades on health inspections leave a lot of room for questions. Many of them have employees from countries that don't have the same hygiene standards as more developed countries. Most have signs in public restrooms requiring employees to wash their hands "after use". A true "germaphobe" probably wouldn't ever eat out again.

Mine all have. What cruise have you been on that doesn't?

I have never seen wrapped silverwear on any of the buffets aboard ship. Now I don't sale the high end ships but...

Not sure I have seen many on land either. Then again it can be pretty assured that I am not a buffet fan so to speak. But the cutlery is only one issue and being wrapped may ultimately mean nothing.

And the by the way it doesn't need to be a thousand hands to make you sick it needs to be just one.

Buffets rock. I can try a little of things I may not like, or a lot of the things I love. For salads, I dont like a lot of lettuce, prefer tomato, cucumber, onion, chick peas, picked beet, cheese bacon and French dressing . Just TRY to order that in a restaurant!

I like a lot of sauce but DW hates sauce, but we can both get how much we like at a buffet.

The "germ" argument kills me. Seriously? It's not like people are eating on top of the buffet.[/quote]

You know how many times kids pick their nose? Have you ever seen someone grab something from the buffett and put it back. Have you ever seen someone sneeze right next to the buffett???? Seriously, there are a lot of germs. I eat at the buffett but not often at all. I enjoy the salad though my last cruise I ate the buffett for dinner and enjoyed it. It still does freak me out though.

I have never seen wrapped silverwear on any of the buffets aboard ship. Now I don't sale the high end ships but...

Not sure I have seen many on land either. Then again it can be pretty assured that I am not a buffet fan so to speak. But the cutlery is only one issue and being wrapped may ultimately mean nothing.

And the by the way it doesn't need to be a thousand hands to make you sick it needs to be just one.

I don't sail "high end" either, unless Carnival is high end:D

Unless you have, or had cancer, you would have no clue as to how this disease enslaves a person. I am almost 4 years post-treatment. I waited long enough and am very healthy now. I refuse to let it confine me anymore. Even if I was 20 years out of treatment, I will always have concerns. That's just the way it is.

I've never been on a cruise and I stated that in my initial post. I am making an estimate that out of the 3,000+ people on the ship and, if buffet was the only availability for Breakfast and Lunch then I was estimating 1000 people will handle the servingware. I am not referring to eating utensils. I am referring to the buffet spoons and forks that people use to put food on their plates. While the buffet food trays are swapped out, I've never seen the servingware replaced. This may not hold true for a cruise.

I am very well aware of airborne pathogens, places and situations where germs are. I'm not stupid to think there is a "sterile" public place. The point of my post was not to create arguments, but rather garner some information as to how cruise ship buffets operate, hence, I did not list my reasons why I hate buffets in my initial post. I was asked why I hate them and I prefaced it that I was stating my opinion as it applied to ME. . I was not the one intimating that people eat too much, hot tubs have germs, restaurants can also be dirty, et al. ad nauseum.

I was not pushing what I think on anyone else. I simply wanted to know if the buffets were self serve! So, all the snarky comments and judgments are uncalled for. Alas, this is a public forum so that's part of the hazard of posting to one.

I do believe the utensils are wrapped in a napkin at the buffet, but I've also seen untensils in those cuplike bins. I think those are like extras. If you just need a teaspoon, etc.

Oh now see you might be correct about that as I am remembering my lasy cruise but wrapped in a napkin is not wrapped in plastic wrap nor does it make the cutlery assure of anything.

Plenty of reasons to both love and hate buffets, fear of germs, rational or not, is as good a reason as any.

I still say buffets are contributing to the fall of western civilization. No matter how high quality or hygienic.

Unless you have, or had cancer, you would have no clue as to how this disease enslaves a person. I am almost 4 years post-treatment. I waited long enough and am very healthy now. I refuse to let it confine me anymore. Even if I was 20 years out of treatment, I will always have concerns. That's just the way it is.

I've never been on a cruise and I stated that in my initial post. I am making an estimate that out of the 3,000+ people on the ship and, if buffet was the only availability for Breakfast and Lunch then I was estimating 1000 people will handle the servingware. I am not referring to eating utensils. I am referring to the buffet spoons and forks that people use to put food on their plates. While the buffet food trays are swapped out, I've never seen the servingware replaced. This may not hold true for a cruise.

I am very well aware of airborne pathogens, places and situations where germs are. I'm not stupid to think there is a "sterile" public place. The point of my post was not to create arguments, but rather garner some information as to how cruise ship buffets operate, hence, I did not list my reasons why I hate buffets in my initial post. I was asked why I hate them and I prefaced it that I was stating my opinion as it applied to ME. . I was not the one intimating that people eat too much, hot tubs have germs, restaurants can also be dirty, et al. ad nauseum.

I was not pushing what I think on anyone else. I simply wanted to know if the buffets were self serve! So, all the snarky comments and judgments are uncalled for. Alas, this is a public forum so that's part of the hazard of posting to one.

Marillian; first let me say that you should take everything you read on this forum with a grain of salt as it is almost always "someone's opinion". Secondly, take all the same precautions that you would normally take; and lastly, make up your own mind, go around the ship and check out the areas for yourself. I hope that you have a great cruise and don't worry, relax and have fun.

I don't sail "high end" either, unless Carnival is high end:D

Well it is for me. I stand corrected I do admit they are wrapped in napkins with the grab o bucket extras over by the drinks as I remember.

Marillian; first let me say that you should take everything you read on this forum with a grain of salt as it is almost always "someone's opinion". Secondly, take all the same precautions that you would normally take; and lastly, make up your own mind, go around the ship and check out the areas for yourself. I hope that you have a great cruise and don't worry, relax and have fun.

+1 cruises are a great vacation hope you a enjoy your first. You will be able to find plenty to eat and remember that in port most people are ashore and thus the buffet is lessened by almost well 90% for lunch.

FYI, ex hubby is now stage 4,I'm caring for him in my home dealing with radiation, currently. If it wasn't for the volume of morphine for pain, we"d be on a cruise.

I

I always wash/sanitize my hands AFTER using the serving utensils (in addition to when I enter the buffet). I put my plate at the table and then go wash before eating.

I too hate the buffet. I eat too much & I enjoy someone waiting on me for a change. Also, I don't get lots of alone time with my DH & DD at home so I'd rather not eat meals in the buffet. I do, however, enjoy getting my food from the buffet & bringing it back to our cabin to eat on the balcony. DH loves buffets so it's how we compromise.

I'm not a big fan of buffets. Part of it is because I typically don't care for the food and the other reason is because I've seen what people do.

Using the hand sanitizer isn't going to help with the things I've noticed. My husband and I avoid the buffets where we live because we don't eat much so for the same price we can have a decent meal elsewhere.

What have I seen?

First off, let's start with the kids. I've noticed kids of all ages unattended at the buffet. It doesn't always end with something disgusting but probably half of the time it does. I have seen kids pick up food with their hands, sometimes put that food back and even sneeze (and not cover their mouth) at the buffet.

For father's day my dad wanted to go to Ponderosa, so I agreed. We watched in horror as this little girl that was probably 5 went up to get her dessert by herself. She picked up a piece of cake, poked it, sniffed it and went to put it back. Luckily, she ended up keeping it. Just imagine if someone would have unexpectedly picked up that piece.

Now for the adults. Adults should definitely know what's unacceptable. I have seen adults use their hands to pick up food, cough and not cover their mouths, sneeze, put food back etc. :rolleyes:

A few months ago my husband and I went to Frisch's for breakfast and watched this lady (probably in her late 60s) get her breakfast from the buffet. First, she used her hands to pick up biscuits that were in a "bin", then she ripped them up with her hands and added her gravy. I then watched this same lady use her HANDS to pick up breakfast potatoes :confused: Eww. Unfortunately, not everyone's hygiene meets my standards and a lot of people don't believe in washing their hands. It doesn't help when you watch someone blow their nose while eating either. :eek:

All this talk about germs and crowds of people (unwashed or otherwise).... why would anyone choose a cruise if that is the concern? Thousands of folks in one enclosed area - coughing, sneezing, not washing after potty, picking noses, licking, etc etc. YIPES! :eek:

You have to realize the type of vacation you have chosen and the possibility that there are one or more others on that vacation that are not going to be hygienic. There are other vacations that you can choose that might not have the same issues with which to contend....

I always wash/sanitize my hands AFTER using the serving utensils (in addition to when I enter the buffet). I put my plate at the table and then go wash before eating.

Well that covers you but leaves only 2999 left to wonder about.

aidansaunt2004 - people do some of the same things you've described in the MDR ... even on 'elegant' night. Others on this board have talked of adults handling all the rolls from the basket before deciding which one they want.

I know you know everyone does not wash their hands, even in the MDR. Nor are the nose blowers only at the buffet.

Disgusting things happen everywhere.

Archived