Just back from Navigator

There is no problem with hair straighteners,somebody asked the question on the RCI UK facebook page and got it confirmed that they are OK to take. I took mine last year on Liberty,wasn't a problem.

I wish they would make up their minds. I mean it quite clearly states "no hair straighteners" Dont know what to do now as she will go mad if they take them as they cost her a lot of money.

Last October when I was on the Vision to Turkey, Greece and Israel, I would return to the ship exhausted and lie down. Invariably, I would wake up past dinner time and was even too tired to get out of bed and walk over to the phone to dial room service. I would just roll over and go back to sleep. So this time I am well prepared. I've researched nice places for lunch in all of the ports. Besides, I'd rather have local food than the same old same old RCCL menu.

I wish they would make up their minds. I mean it quite clearly states "no hair straighteners" Dont know what to do now as she will go mad if they take them as they cost her a lot of money.

Oops.

I did not know about this :o

I had mine with me and had no problems what so ever.

I found this list from rccl.com:

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

Oops.

I did not know about this :o

I had mine with me and had no problems what so ever.

I found this list from rccl.com:

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

I was on the UK site;

cant put up link as storm on way and internet going in and out.

Went "countdown to Cruise"

"before you board"

and finally "what to pack" On there is the hair straightener message along with others that you listed.

I was on the UK site;

cant put up link as storm on way and internet going in and out.

Went "countdown to Cruise"

"before you board"

and finally "what to pack" On there is the hair straightener message along with others that you listed.

Well isn't that strange! My list is from the international site. As it fails to mention hair straighteners I'd still assume I can take them with me.

I would've never even checked the UK site without this thread.

I'd print out the international list and take the straighteners.

But then again, I'm always up for a fight ;)

Well isn't that strange! My list is from the international site. As it fails to mention hair straighteners I'd still assume I can take them with me.

I would've never even checked the UK site without this thread.

I'd print out the international list and take the straighteners.

But then again, I'm always up for a fight ;)

You would think all info re-banned items would be the same.

The problem i have is

1. They belong to daughter

2. She does not want to lose them

3.She will be mortified if we have to go to the "naughty Room"

I am up for the fight too, might take her old ones and argue my corner then.

You would think all info re-banned items would be the same.

The problem i have is

1. They belong to daughter

2. She does not want to lose them

3.She will be mortified if we have to go to the "naughty Room"

I am up for the fight too, might take her old ones and argue my corner then.

You would indeed!

You could always pack them in your bag, fight if you have to and then go to the naughty room so she won't have to ;)

I had them in my luggage but I'm not sure if they could have been brought into the ship in my hand bag.

My guess is you'd get them back after the cruise if they WERE confiscated.

Hi DonnaK, The CD was Simona and her deputy was Daniel. Didn't see much of them apart from when they introduced shows.

Hi Pennysmum, We did our own thing mainly beaucase we had done all the ports before. Also, it is much cheaper to make your own way and not difficult at all, there are always taxis waiting at the ports but just agree the price before you leave. If you want to do a ship's tour, go to Ephesus it will blow your mind - although not as impressive at Pompeii or Herculaneum on the Naples itinerary. The hop on hop off bus in Chania is well worth $15 each.

Cruising on the 22nd with several others posting here. Can't wait. Thanks so much for the post.

Did you take excursions on your prior cruise to these ports?

When you point out the taxi's, would that be simply to transfer into town/back? What about seeing the sites? A guide?

Another question: booking late typically means a 6:30pm MDR sitting. What is the down-side to this? Do we miss the entertainment? 9pm is too late for me (esp with the jet lag coming from N/America.)

Do experienced cruisers bring (insulated) water bottles with them on a cruise or can you typically buy cold bottled water off the ships during local visits? Can a water come back on the ship?

Can you shed any light on the boarding process as of 12:30pm Sunday and the disembarkation process on the final morning as of 5am back in Rome?

Many many thanks!

We just handed the cash over when we shook hands on the last night in the dining room and as we departed in the morning - the stateroom attendants are always close by on departure day! It is a bit embarassing but I need to let them know how much we appreciate the way they looked after us. It is only RCI's word that the tips get split, I am not so sure and the crew don't know either as it only happened this week for the first time.

I was on the same sailing 1st-8th July and did not pre-pay gratuities. For us, the attendant put the envelopes in our room on the last day all printed with the names on them. (Stateroom attendant, waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter). I did not notice that he had put both ours and our sons state room numbers on the envelopes so the gratuities should have been for both rooms. I only learned this when it was too late and I had sealed our envelopes. I went to guest relations desk to ask for more envelopes and was pointed to a table at the side where there was a box full of envelopes with the staff names on them as above for anyone to help themselves.

hi penny's mum, don't worry about straighteners, I took mine no problem, I also took my own hair dryer as the one in the suite was not very powerful for my thick hair.

hi cruising Canuk, tell the taxi driver how long you would like to be away and they will take you to see all the sites in the allowed time. they will even drop you at the beach for some sun time then pick you up when you tell them to. they all speak good English. regarding meal times, you could always eat in the windjammer if that fits in better with shows, etc.

hi jnjsmom, There is a shuttle bus from the port into Chanies for 3 euros each return. Well worth it as it is too far to walk. lso, you need to be back on the ship by 2.30 so you don't have too much time. The hop on hop off bus is 15 euros each and has commentary in most languages. don't miss the indoor market, it is full of stalls selling herbs, spices, linen tablecloths and souvenirs. well worth a look. Enjoy!

You would indeed!

You could always pack them in your bag, fight if you have to and then go to the naughty room so she won't have to ;)

I had them in my luggage but I'm not sure if they could have been brought into the ship in my hand bag.

My guess is you'd get them back after the cruise if they WERE confiscated.

Maybe they just have an issue with UK hair straighteners! LOL

I beleive that the concierge is meant to get in touch with me so i am going to ask him/her and print out the answer (if it is a yes) and take on all comers if i have to go to the naughty room.

Whats the naughty room?

It's the lower deck where they take the luggage that has been x-rayed and believed to have non-allowed items. Booze, irons and knives are the main items that will be taken. They do NOT take hair straighteners. That is a fact.

Gina

Maybe they just have an issue with UK hair straighteners! LOL

I beleive that the concierge is meant to get in touch with me so i am going to ask him/her and print out the answer (if it is a yes) and take on all comers if i have to go to the naughty room.

I take a high powered, one temperature straightener every time I cruise. It's a Chi and it is labeled to NOT be for home use in Canada since I guess their country thinks they aren't smart enough to use it safely. :rolleyes: I leave it out in plain sight. I've taken it in my carry on and in my checked luggage. It has never been questioned or gotten me to the naughty room.

Now, my water has gotten me in the naughty room on several occasions. That was usually in San Diego. I always got to keep it - even when it was as much as 24 bottles.

My husband has had his luggage held for hair cutting sheers. They let him keep those, too.

Gina

It's the lower deck where they take the luggage that has been x-rayed and believed to have non-allowed items. Booze, irons and knives are the main items that will be taken. They do NOT take hair straighteners. That is a fact.

Gina

You can understand my confusion as the following "quote" is off the website. Altough if you go to FAQ's it is not there.

What Not to Pack

For the safety of our guests, the following items are not allowed on board: Electrical transformers, hair straighteners, coffee makers, candles, irons, illegal drugs, flammable liquids and explosives, such as fireworks. For a full list of items please visit our Frequently Asked Questions section. For security purposes, we also recommend not packing any valuables (such as jewellery) in your checked-in luggage.

You can understand my confusion as the following "quote" is off the website. Altough if you go to FAQ's it is not there.

What Not to Pack

For the safety of our guests, the following items are not allowed on board: Electrical transformers, hair straighteners, coffee makers, candles, irons, illegal drugs, flammable liquids and explosives, such as fireworks. For a full list of items please visit our Frequently Asked Questions section. For security purposes, we also recommend not packing any valuables (such as jewellery) in your checked-in luggage.

There are also places where RCI says you can't bring water on board. You can.

Gina

Whats chances of getting a bottle of vodka on board via the luggage you leave at the side for delivery to stateroom?

There's a good chance you'll be going to the naughty room to open your x-rayed luggage. Some ports x-ray more than others. No telling.

Gina

Got back yesterday after another fantastic cruise. The ship was amazing as always and the staff just couldn't do enough to please. One thing that struck me this time is that over 50% of passengers were Italian which meant that everything was geared up for them, the music, entertainment almost all was Italian. I thought we were on a Costa ship!

We had a GS on deck 10 (1556) whcih was directly under the solarium. Avoid this suite if you can, although the room itself was great as always, we were woken each morning between 4 and 5 by the crew moving the sunbeds which scraped on the tiled floor. Not something you want on vacation.

One new thing brought in this week by RCI is that when you pre-pay your gratuities, you used to get your envelopes and gratuity slips for stateroom attendant, waiter, head waiter etc delivered to your room. When we enquired why we didn't get them this time, we were told that this has now stopped and all gratuities are put into the pot and split between the crew. I don't have a problem with this but it seemed embarrassing on the last night when you didn't have your envelopes to dish out, although we always give extra anyway.

Any questions about last week just ask and I will answer if I can.

Hello- I am going on this cruise in September and I wondered what time we have to get off the ship on the last day? I want to book a transfer to the airport but don't know what time to book?

Also - did you do any RCI excursions?

Thanks so much.

Karen

Another question: booking late typically means a 6:30pm MDR sitting. What is the down-side to this? Do we miss the entertainment? 9pm is too late for me (esp with the jet lag coming from N/America.)

Can you shed any light on the boarding process as of 12:30pm Sunday and the disembarkation process on the final morning as of 5am back in Rome?

Many many thanks!

Hi Canuk,

every evening the entertainment has two show times. It's stated in the Cruise Compass which show is for Early Seating and which for late. We ate always quite early and never missed a show.

What would you like to know about the processes? When you get to the pier and out of the shuttle bus (or taxi) go to the left side of the tent and leave your luggage there. If you already have the RCCL luggage tags just leave your bags to the crew. If not, you can get them from a desk that's inside. Then go to the right side end of the tent, have all your documents ready and follow the lines to security check and then to check-in. Then you'll go through another security check, pose for a photo and walk into the ship :)

On the last day you disembark according to your colour-coded group. These are assigned to you the day before. You need to pack your bag and leave it outside your cabin the previous night. Once you are out of the ship, you look for your luggage from it's group and you are ready to be off.

Anything else? Fire away!! :D

Archived