Steakhouse and an almost 2yo

mandakate42

Ah, but what do they say when you're not around?

That my child sat quietly? If they caught a glimpse of bad behavior it was only for the few seconds it took for me to grab my son and leave.

No, it's really only the selfish, entitled parents who think their child is above everyone else and has no consideration for others.

Expecting a quiet, adult experience in a $35/plate steakhouse is NOT child hating. Why on earth would you subject your toddler to a 2 hour dining experience?? It's funny how parents like to think that they're the only ones who know about child rearing, but I have enough sense to understand that a toddler is not going to have (or be expected to have) an attention span of an adult. It's not fair to force them into something that they are not prepared or able to handle.

And bringing an Ipad and coloring books to the steakhouse is not appropriate. This is not Chuck E Cheese, Applebees or TGI Fridays. And yes, the Steakhouse isn't exactly the Ritz, but people DO go there to celebrate special occasions or have a romantic dinner.

?

Because they did away with that illusion when they did away with the supper club. It's no longer an adult venue. It's a place to get the good food.

And while they continue to remain mostly unpopular, they will try to attract as much traffic as possible.

MrPete.

Are you done posting ? We now know you have a perfect child, but not everyone else does. I see you are egging us "child haters" on.

Nope. Waiting for the next serve.

Yours was a fault.

When we book a table at the steakhouse (or any nice restaurant) where we are planning a quiet adult evening and the table is close to a family with small children, we decline. If they have another suitable table, ok. If not we leave. We are much better leaving then than two hours later in total disgust.

We are paying for a special meal in a special setting. If that is not what we are going to get, we would rather not waste the evening and our money.

If everyone did this, these establishments would take positive action to maintain the ambiance of the restaurant. The Steak House is not marketing to the Camp Carnival set, because that is not where they will make their money. I agree that it is open to all, but when any customer becomes disruptive they should be told to leave so that other customer's can still enjoy their evening.

I'm afraid we have all endured meals where other customers allow their children to hang over the back of your chair, wander around your table and cause an uproar in a restaurant. Even when children are well-behaved, we dread to possibility of a horrid meal because of this new 'norm.'

Some things are tailored for children and families and some things are tailored for adult time. No one here is being a 'child hater,' it is about respect for each other. There are so many activities on Carnival that are designed for the kids to enjoy, can't there be something left for the adults?

The problem, imo, is that parents (even people for that matter) all have a

Different opinion of whats acceptable. To me, an ipad and video game in the steakhouse is fine if it keeps a small child quiet.

The problem is, some parents dont make children behave at mcdonalds! If your kid cant sit and eat a happy meal how will he sit thru a 2 hr meal? I have dined with small kids that were allowed to run around the place, move from seat to seat, crawl on the floor. The parents flat out said i cant expect them to sit still. Why not? Toddlers are pretty smart...of course he doesnt have to sit still...because its perfectly acceptable for him to run wild.

Maybe its just been too long since my kids were toddlers.

I really don't think those things are appropriate for a fine dining establishment.

While I will not be taking my then seven year old to the steak house, I take no issue with coloring pages, iPads, and quite books being used by a child in any dining establishment. My daughter goes to every type of restaurant. ( but we do go for early seating never after six )

I have also been to many fine dining restaurants which was ruined due to a d u l t s not children. Perhaps their own parents should have taken them when they were children...

While I will not be taking my then seven year old to the steak house, I take no issue with coloring pages, iPads, and quite books being used by a child in any dining establishment. My daughter goes to every type of restaurant. ( but we do go for early seating never after six )

I have also been to many fine dining restaurants which was ruined due to a d u l t s not children. Perhaps their own parents should have taken them when they were children...

How did kids of years ago ever survive without I pads.

I wondered how long it would be before rowdy adults came into this topic.

Until the day when Carnival designates the Steakhouse as an adults only restaurant (like Disney Cruise Lines has done with their specialty restaurant Palo), the only thing Steakhouse attendees can do is HOPE that there are no kids.

As much as I want to sympathize with those wanting an adults only experience at a Carnival Steakhouse, the reality is that they cant expect it. For that, they'd need to look at other cruise lines..

Like.

children are not diseased ya know....lol. :rolleyes:

At least the vaccinated ones aren't. Oops, different thread :rolleyes:

My kids are now 16 and 14, and I well remember all the things we were unable to do because we had small kids, and the sometimes painful lessons we, as new parents learned along the way as to what was, and was not possible to do as they went through their various phases. We once went for lunch in a chain restaurant and took turns walking around the table with the 6 month old who refused to sit in a high chair and screamed until she was picked up. On a weekend away we tried to go to a nice restaurant for my birthday. We took turns walking around outside as the 18 month old was restless and whingey. (TOTAL waste of money - stressed, and cold food). Lesson learned - NO restaurants until both our kids were able to behave appropriately, we will NOT subject others to the behaviour of our kids, or pay for meals that neither of us enjoyed.

But, even more annoying, a special occassion, a very rare offer of babysitting, and off we go for a well deserved and anticipated meal in a classy restaurant at 9pm. What do we find? a couple with a small toddler strapped into a buggy by their table. Whinge, whine, scream, kick, wriggle, repeat repeat etc. Parents ignored and chatted and enjoyed their meal. Us? Aaaaaargggghhhh!!! Not happy!

I'm definitely not one of the "I think my child can go anywhere" types. I don't fuss because I can't take her in the pool, I don't plan on bringing an inflatable pool to "get in your way" on the lido.

I was simply just asking if anyone had any experience with it and what their experience was. She sits in a restaurant now without an iPad or coloring books, but those were things I was thinking I could bring along so she WOULDNT disturb your meal but I guess seeing a toddler in YOUR adult restaurant ruins your meal anyways.

It's going to be my husband and I's anniversary while we're on this cruise and I thought I would treat him to something he wouldn't normally do (he likes to save). The steakhouse closes at 9, night babysitting services don't start until 10 so no luck there. I was going to go on the first night at 6 because I assumed most wouldn't wanna eat so early and that the first night isnt very busy. I had also asked if I could cancel at any time if I thought she was acting cranky. Man you people really jump on the bandwagon..... we're not going to reserve it.

I'm definitely not one of the "I think my child can go anywhere" types. I don't fuss because I can't take her in the pool, I don't plan on bringing an inflatable pool to "get in your way" on the lido.

I was simply just asking if anyone had any experience with it and what their experience was. She sits in a restaurant now without an iPad or coloring books, but those were things I was thinking I could bring along so she WOULDNT disturb your meal but I guess seeing a toddler in YOUR adult restaurant ruins your meal anyways.

It's going to be my husband and I's anniversary while we're on this cruise and I thought I would treat him to something he wouldn't normally do (he likes to save). The steakhouse closes at 9, night babysitting services don't start until 10 so no luck there. I was going to go on the first night at 6 because I assumed most wouldn't wanna eat so early and that the first night isnt very busy. I had also asked if I could cancel at any time if I thought she was acting cranky. Man you people really jump on the bandwagon..... we're not going to reserve it.

I am sorry some people have been so rude to you, but I can tell you I have seen this happen, fusturated parents, tired cranky children during a 2 hour meal and disapointed patrons who have paid to have a special occasion unlike the MDR, Lido etc. Its just something to think about, the consideration of others. You really do not know what will happen, until you go. But, if you go and there are some issues, which you can not prevent, then other patrons will have wasted thier money. I would be have to be hard pressed to pay for a meal like that.

The perfect fix for this is to have babysitting hours start sooner so adults can have a great time without the worry. I know Carnival reads these boards. Hopefully they will someday rethink thier policy. Best of luck to you.

I didn't get if you were going to order for the 2 year old (or if the child was just going to accompany you) but is he/she really going to eat wasabi mashed potatoes and lobster bisque? My teens had a somewhat difficult time with the menu.

ETA: see now you aren't going to go. The first night was very empty for us, and is there no overlap with camp carnival and dining times? CC starts at 2, right?

Would work if the OP wants to eat dinner at 10pm...

carnival_logo.jpg

Camp Carnival Night Owls

For the convenience of our guests, Camp Carnival offers Night Owls for children 6 months to 11 years, allowing parents time to enjoy the nightlife without having to worry about their little ones.

When?

• Night Owls is available each evening from 10:00pm-3:00am.
  • Night Owls is not available during the hours that Camp Carnival is closed or during Camp Carnival's scheduled activities, which typically run from 10:00am-1:00pm; 2:00pm-5:00pm; and 6:00pm-10:00pm.

How much?

• $6.75 per hour plus a 15% gratuity, per child
  • No discount for additional children
  • Fees are due upon pick-up and paid via Sail & Sign Card directly to the Youth Staff on duty. Cash is not an acceptable form of payment.
  • Any child left past 3:00am will be charged double (for the time period beyond 3:00am) and will forfeit Night Owls privileges for the remainder of the cruise, if the policy is abused.

Where?

• In the Camp Carnival facility with a "slumber party" type atmosphere, including movie time, toys, video games and room service snacks. 9-11 Years have fun playing video games, arts & crafts and more.
  • Children sleep on pillows and blankets. Cots are not provided.
  • For infants, Pack & Plays are available for usage.
  • Note: Carnival Cruise Lines does not offer any in-stateroom services.

Sign-Up

• During the day, parents can advise the Youth Staff if their child will be participating Night Owls.
  • If previously signed up and they decide to change plans, parents are asked to call up and cancel.
  • If there are no children participating by 11:00pm, the Night Owls service is cancelled for the evening.
  • The services close after the last child is picked up if past 11:00pm.

Sign-in/Sign-out Policy

• No children are permitted to sign themselves in/out after 10:00pm. Children must be signed in and out by the Parent/Legal Guardian or the authorized persons over the age of 18.
  • After 10:00pm, 9-11 year olds must be picked up by their Parent/Legal Guardian from Night Owls (as per day time policy, they are allowed to sign in/out).
  • The adult is required to present their Sail & Sign card each time they drop off and pick up their child. For the safety of the child, there are no exceptions to this rule.

Under 2 Infant Care

• On Port Days, care for infants begins from 15 minutes before the first tour until 12:00 noon (or from 1:00pm until 5:00pm for ships arriving in port after noon time). Port Days are for drop off only. Fees Apply: $6.75 per hour plus a 15% gratuity, per child.
  • On Sea Days, Under 2 time is scheduled from 8:00am-10:00am. During this time, parents have the option of leaving their child in the care of the Youth Staff Fees Apply: $6.75 per hour plus a 15% gratuity, per child for this service or they can stay and use the Camp Carnival facilities at no charge. Please note that this time is designated for the use of Under 2's and their parents only.
  • Each evening, Night Owls is available from 10:00pm-3:00am. Fees Apply: $6.75 per hour plus a 15% gratuity, per child. During this time, there will be children from other age groups (2-11 years) participating in Night Owls.

Potty-Trained

• Children do not have to be potty-trained in order to take part of Night Owls.
  • Parents must provide the Youth Staff with diapers and toiletries to be used for their child. However, if children are too big to be changed on the diapering table, they will not be changed by the Youth Staff. The parents will be contacted to come and change the child. After the child is changed, they may come back into the program.

Late Night Parties

In addition to the Night Owls program, on selected nights of the cruise we have different parties which offer FUN, MEMORIES AND GREAT VALUE. Advertising is mentioned in the Camp Carnival activity schedules, digital signage at Camp Carnival and Night Owls postcards (see below) are delivered to the child's stateroom. All kids who participate in the parties will receive fun premium giveaways!

OWL JAMS

• Ages: 2-11 years
  • Hours: 10:00pm-12:00am
  • Fee: $13 per child, per party, plus 15% gratuity
  • Activities Include: video games, arts & craft, music and more; snacks and beverages included

FUN 'TIL ONE

• Ages: 6-8 Years
  • Hours: 10:00pm-1:00am
  • Fee: $20 per child, per party, plus 15% gratuity
  • Activities include: Theme nights, dancing, singing, video games, and more interactive activities; snacks and beverages included

FUN AT SEA

• Ages: 9-11 Years
  • Hours: 10:00pm-3:00am
  • Fee: $33 per child, per party, plus 15% gratuity
  • Activities include: Competitions, video games, sporting events, pizza and more; snacks and beverages included
  • Note: Limited space available; Kids should bring their stateroom key as the Youth Staff will drop them off at their stateroom at the end of the party.

On Port Days, care for infants begins from 15 minutes before the first tour until 12:00 noon (or from 1:00pm until 5:00pm for ships arriving in port after noon time). Port Days are for drop off only. Fees Apply: $6.75 per hour plus a 15% gratuity, per child.

Isnt embarkation day considered a port day???

Hmmmm. They might be able to go if this is the case. Its a little confusing.

I do not see anything wrong with a child have crayons and a coloring page at the dinner table especially if they have to sit for an hour or two. The only thing that I really hate is if they have a cartoon or noises coming from a electronic device.

Op, it is not against the rules for you to bring a toddler but it is a long dinner experience for a child that age and I would not have done it with my daughter when she was that age but your choice if you decide to do it. I really do think the cruiseline should offer some kind of camp at dinner time so that parents can have a nice evening together.

Whaaaaat???? Didn't YOU start this thread by asking about people's 'experience?' If you don't want to hear it....don't ask in the first place.

Are you just upset because everyone didn't say exactly what you wanted them to?

telling me you think I have the "I think I can bring my child anywhere syndrome" isn't telling me about your experience or even your opinion on whether or not you think she should go. It's just being rude. I don't care if you all tell me all day you think she shouldn't go. it's your opinion and that's y I started the thread in the first place was to get your opinion because I really didn't have a clue on whether or not we should go. but I was asking for your opinion on the subject at hand and I just don't understand y it always seems like people on these threads are just downright rude and hateful. when I signed up for cruise critic in 08 this site was so helpful to me and it still is.... sometimes. but now it seems the negative ones are no longer the minority on here anymore

No, it's really only the selfish, entitled parents who think their child is above everyone else and has no consideration for others.

Expecting a quiet, adult experience in a $35/plate steakhouse is NOT child hating. Why on earth would you subject your toddler to a 2 hour dining experience?? It's funny how parents like to think that they're the only ones who know about child rearing, but I have enough sense to understand that a toddler is not going to have (or be expected to have) an attention span of an adult. It's not fair to force them into something that they are not prepared or able to handle.

And bringing an Ipad and coloring books to the steakhouse is not appropriate. This is not Chuck E Cheese, Applebees or TGI Fridays. And yes, the Steakhouse isn't exactly the Ritz, but people DO go there to celebrate special occasions or have a romantic dinner.

And by the way, we don't hate your child, so please stop playing the martyr card. There are plenty of places that are appropriate for a young baby that I have no problem with. I'll have some consideration when your kid is having a meltdown by the pool or screaming in the MDR, how about you have some consideration for others that may want a quiet experience in a restaurant?

In complete agreement with you while watching the child that I love dearly, and will be leaving at home for the first time, play happily in his sandbox. I think certain people here are just trying to get a rise out of the loving, caring, good parents here, including the OP, who asked a perfectly valid question.

I'm not sure if we're going to make it to the steak house on our cruise next week, for other unrelated reasons, but if we do, I hope for a romantic experience. ;)

Mindy

telling me you think I have the "I think I can bring my child anywhere syndrome" isn't telling me about your experience or even your opinion on whether or not you think she should go. It's just being rude. I don't care if you all tell me all day you think she shouldn't go. it's your opinion and that's y I started the thread in the first place was to get your opinion because I really didn't have a clue on whether or not we should go. but I was asking for your opinion on the subject at hand and I just don't understand y it always seems like people on these threads are just downright rude and hateful. when I signed up for cruise critic in 08 this site was so helpful to me and it still is.... sometimes. but now it seems the negative ones are no longer the minority on here anymore

I really am sorry for your dilema about what to do. I've been there. It's hard when trying to make plans with a toddler or infant. Thank God those days are over for me. I just wouldn't ask for CC people's opinions or 'experiences' if I didn't want to hear them because it would make me even more confused :eek: Whatever you decide to do, I hope you and your family have a wonderful time and cruise.

Hi, I purposely did not read the whole thread...I had my first dinner in a Carnival steakhouse on the Spirit on a first of 5 day cruise...which happened to be Easter Sunday. I had a few negative food issues but really enjoyed the quiet after all the hub bub of boarding and the drill with safety procedures for first half of my dinner..it was a rush to get to an early seating I booked right after getting on..changing my top to be a bit dressy and luckily getting my luggage in time to do so. I am an Auntie of seven..second half of dinner a family of 5 with youngest about 3 came in and he yelled alot about not liking this or that..I just think that your ages may be a little young for the Steakhouse and your having to rush in and out..with kids if upset, not worh it and the dining room offers a nice enough venue for those growing up years....but it is your choice as per whatever the ship allows..good luck..Sarah

Archived