Regatta, Aug 30, 2012 sailing

Barstan

Hi fellow cruisers,

We are taking this cruise & spending 2 days prior in Instanbul & 3 days in Lisbon. Any info on what to see in these two cities?

Would like info on ship regarding, can we bring wine on board.

We would like to meet others to share tours in some of the port stops.

Thanks so much.

Barbara & Stan:cool:

Hi Barbara & Stan:

Welcome to Oceania and to Cruise Critic.

You will find a pretty active Roll Call of YOUR sailing where you can meet fellow cruisers and discuss tours at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1550438 Sometimes people even try to meet up ahead of time if they are touring the embarkation port pre-cruise. And, yes, you can bring wine aboard.

Enjoy your cruise. We are picking up the ship in Lisbon so take good care of her.

Marilyn & Stan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Barbara & Stan:

My wife Doris and I are also sailing on the Regatta on 8/30/12. We will also be in Istanbul for 2 days before we leave. We arrive on 8/28/12 at about 5:00 PM. We are also staying on 1 day in Lisbon at the end of the cruise before we head home on 9/12/12. We have been in Istanbul twice before and loved every minute of it. My wife and I both enjoy the Grand Bazaar for shopping. It is quite an experience. Be surte to bargain very, very hard. The vendors will almost do anything to complete a sale. Topkapi Palace is interesting, as was the Blue Mosque or Hagia Sophia as it was originally named. Check with your hotel concierge for the must see tourist sites and then just enjoy the sounds and smells of the city. There are plenty of places for tea in the afternoon and wonderful snacks. Having a late afternoon drink at any of the great hotels along the Bosphorus is also relaxing.

Have you booked any sightseeing tours either with the ship or on your own for any of the ports? On prior Boards, I was able to put together small groups for sightseeing with a private guide. Getting a group of 6 or 8 can really cut the costs and the touring is better than with larger groups using the ship's excursions. If you are interested, please let me know.

Hi Barbara & Stan:

My wife Doris and I are also sailing on the Regatta on 8/30/12. We will also be in Istanbul for 2 days before we leave. We arrive on 8/28/12 at about 5:00 PM. We are also staying on 1 day in Lisbon at the end of the cruise before we head home on 9/12/12. We have been in Istanbul twice before and loved every minute of it. My wife and I both enjoy the Grand Bazaar for shopping. It is quite an experience. Be surte to bargain very, very hard. The vendors will almost do anything to complete a sale. Topkapi Palace is interesting, as was the Blue Mosque or Hagia Sophia as it was originally named. Check with your hotel concierge for the must see tourist sites and then just enjoy the sounds and smells of the city. There are plenty of places for tea in the afternoon and wonderful snacks. Having a late afternoon drink at any of the great hotels along the Bosphorus is also relaxing.

Have you booked any sightseeing tours either with the ship or on your own for any of the ports? On prior Boards, I was able to put together small groups for sightseeing with a private guide. Getting a group of 6 or 8 can really cut the costs and the touring is better than with larger groups using the ship's excursions. If you are interested, please let me know.

You and Doris might want to rethink some of that afternoon drinking while sightseeing, because you seem a little fuzzy about Istanbul.

The Blue Mosque was never known as Hagia Sofia.

000056.jpg They are in fact enormous monuments which are located a few block apart but WELL within sight of one another (the pink one is the Hagia Sofia).

Archived