Norwegian Currency on the Spirit

Hi

We're going to the Norwegian Fijords on August 3rd, could someone please tell me if it's better to get some currency before we go or to just get some once we're on The Spirit??

Many thanks for your help.

Ellen

Hi

We're going to the Norwegian Fijords on August 3rd, could someone please tell me if it's better to get some currency before we go or to just get some once we're on The Spirit??

Many thanks for your help.

Ellen

Generally we find the exchnage rate is better at the likes of the P.O., Superdrug or M&S compared with the ship's rates so we tend to buy before we go - at least you don't have multiple currencies to worry about on this itinerary.

• 4 months later...
Plenty of ATM's around in Norway. They always have the best exchange rates.

ATM's may have best rates but factor in your banks charge for what is a cash advance. Most treat debit cards same as credit cards and charge up to 2.5 per cent with a minimum charge above this. Take Norwegian krone with you, your local travel agency will supply with no commission if you shop around. Don't rely on Euro's, Norway not a member of EC. Please bear in mind that Norway is a very expensive country to visit. Eating and drinking costs may take you unawares.

ATM's may have best rates but factor in your banks charge for what is a cash advance

A few banks don't.

Metro Bank and Norwich & Peterborough have basic current accounts with debit cards that don't involve ATM fees. The former has no strings attached - the latter offers two versions of their Gold account, with conditions which may not be convenient for everybody though.

The N&P Gold Classic account also has attractive benefits - like a substantial "get out of jail" cash advance guarantee if you are stranded abroad, to cover flights home and accommodation/board charges. Also includes Sentinel card security cover and replacement of locks on property if keys are lost or stolen. Worth investigating.

The only problem with Metro Bank is that you have to apply in person at one of their branches which are in or around Greater London. I hear they plan online applications in 2013.

Sainsburys Gold credit card (uniquely) also has no fees for ATM withdrawals - as long as the statement balance is settled by due date. It incurs a monthly £5 fee - but includes worldwide travel insurance for up to 3 weeks, so it's a good deal IMO.

A few banks don't.

Metro Bank and Norwich & Peterborough have basic current accounts with debit cards that don't involve ATM fees. The former has no strings attached - the latter offers two versions of their Gold account, with conditions which may not be convenient for everybody though.

The N&P Gold Classic account also has attractive benefits - like a substantial "get out of jail" cash advance guarantee if you are stranded abroad, to cover flights home and accommodation/board charges. Also includes Sentinel card security cover and replacement of locks on property if keys are lost or stolen. Worth investigating.

The only problem with Metro Bank is that you have to apply in person at one of their branches which are in or around Greater London. I hear they plan online applications in 2013.

Sainsburys Gold credit card (uniquely) also has no fees for ATM withdrawals - as long as the statement balance is settled by due date. It incurs a monthly £5 fee - but includes worldwide travel insurance for up to 3 weeks, so it's a good deal IMO.

Worth knowing - I've also got a Halifax Clarity card which they assured me would serve our purpose on holiday (which is all i use it for). It is a Credit Card but we were able to get money out of ATMs with no charge - just paid the balnce off as soon as we got home so no interest fees. The exchange rate was good too with no commission as far as I could determine.

I thought the Halifax Clarity credit card did charge the daily interest fee on a cash advance ?

Wouldn't be too much though, especially if settled quickly on return home.

No other fees.

Now you've made me think again WeeCountyMan and I think you could be right about cash withdrawals from ATM's drawing interest from the time of the transaction (as opposed to the statement date when other things start generating interest charges).

I've just checked my statement and we didn't actually use it to draw cash from an ATM. I just used it for entrance fees, in cafes which would accept it and train fares etc as a means of preserving cash.

Sorry for misleading anyone :confused: - but it was good in the way I did use it with no hidden costs!

We have a Halifax Clarity and I was fairly sure that there are daily interest fees added for cash withdrawals.

I had an interesting discussion over the 'phone with a Bank of Scotland call centre assistant some months ago - I asked if the card could be preloaded with funds prior to travelling abroad, and then cash withdrawn up to that amount without incurring these fees.

I was informed that the bank didn't recommend this practice - which I interpreted as a "yes, you can, but we won't admit to it" reply.

I've since been advised that it probably contravenes the terms and conditions in theory - although, in practice it should work OK.

I did try it out with a modest £100 paid in locally and Euros withdrawn in Spain without any dramas.

Archived