What to do with a POST-cruise afternoon in Fort Lauderdale?

SnappyNappi

So, DH and I are booked on the Oasis of the Seas in November. We booked our flights and saved more than a couple dollars by booking a 5:30 flight home to NYC area on the day that the ship returns. So the ship docks at 7:00 AM and from what I understand we can choose to disembark during one of the later times but that will still leave us with a block of time from about 9:30 to 5:30 in Fort Lauderdale POST-CRUISE. There is a lot of discussion on the board about what to do and where to stay PRE cruise, but does anyone have any suggestions about how to manage that day. We are considering a beach and shopping pass 'excursion' for $35 per person that will include holding our luggage at the airport, transfers from the ship to the beach/shopping area and then back to the airport about 3:00 to catch our flight, but I wanted to check with the, much more knowledgeable, CC crowd before I make any commitments about what to do with this travel day. I'd love to know what others have done, what you have enjoyed, what you hated (so we know to steer clear of that stuff)... and in general, how to make this day part of the trip instead of spending it sitting in the airport... Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

We (mother and I) did an Everglades excursion through the cruise line when we had afternoon flights out of FLL in March. We enjoyed the excursion, and when we got to the airport and saw all of the people just sitting around with their luggage waiting for it to be late enough to check in we were so glad we'd signed up! I'm sure there are other and perhaps cheaper ways to accomplish this, but for us picking an excursion that ended at the airport was a fun and easy way to spend the day.

Archived