El Yunque and Bio Bay-tour or drive ourselves?

juneybugel

We are sailing Carnival Valor February 17-24, 2013.

We are staying in San Juan 2 days post cruise. We'd like to tour the El Yunque Rainforest and do the Bio Bay tour. We haven't decided whether to do both in the same day or do one a day.

Should we rent a car and drive to the rainforest and bio bay on our own or would it be better to hook up with a tour that provides transportation? I'm worried that if the minimum for transportation is not met we don't get to do the tour as it will be too late to rent a car at that point.

Anyone had experience with this?

Last March we stayed post cruise at Gran Melia to be close to ElYunque, Luquillo Beach and the Biobay. We rented a car from Charlies which I would recommend. They pick you up at port and bring you to their office to get your car. We brought our GPS and had absolutely no problems getting around. We drove to Ponce on Sunday to the Lechoneras for an unforgettable pork dinner! Highly recommend if you have the time and desire to get a real taste of Puerto Rican culture!

El Yunque is best early in the morning before it gets too busy and too hot. We left the hotel about 9 am and were ahead of the hordes climbing the tower and hiking to the falls. If you go on your own, make sure to go to Juan Diego Falls...you will have it all to yourselves! I am all for venturing out on your own. Depending on how much hiking you want to do, you could do both excursions on the same day. We had to meet at the harbor at 430ish to take the boat over, have dinner then go to the Biobay. The excursion was not over until 11pm or so. Both experiences are so memorable! Hope that helps!

We rented a car with Avis for out stay (3 days pre-cruise) and did the rain forest, which was a nice experience. And you should go early, it got very crowed later that day. The other day, we took a ferry to Culebra, which was very nice too. We did the biobay some years a go on Viques, so I can not say anything about that.

You're sailing during season, so there shouldn't be a problem with transportation. I've booked off-season, and KayakingPuertoRico was able to fill the van from San Juan.

I've done the rainforest/biobay excursion, and my preference is always for guided tours. You learn so much more than if you go on your own. and traffic can be so bad on that highway that it helps to have others to talk to so you don't stress out.

One advantage of not driving is you might miss the food and craft vendors that set up at the lagoon. I've been twice, and each time I wish I had more time to just hang out at the lagoon so I could sample more food and listen to more music. I've always chosen the early trip, so I could see the mangroves before sunset, but during season when it gets dark earlier, the vendors may set up earlier. It's a long drive from San Juan, and after the kayaking, you'll probably be hungry. I've always been rushed to get one of the fish "shish kababs" and adult beverage when I've opted for transportation, but I've managed to forgo the photo for the food and eat in the van on the way back.

Thanks Ms411! I think we're leaning towards the guided tour just so that we don't have to stress out with it being our first time to the area. If we are lucky to make it down again then maybe we'll try the car.

We've been to Puerto Rico many times. We always rent a car. We've done Bio Bay 4 times and El Yunque many more. I can't stress enough how easy it is to drive in Puerto Rico. Charlie's Car Rental is great. We really like to stay at the El Conquistador - stunning resort - just a few minutes from Bio Bay. Also convenient to El Yunque. The hikes there are beautiful and very easy to do on your own at your own pace. Take your time and be sure to swim under the waterfall.

• 11 months later...
I have been looking for a cruise so we can check out the bio bay but it seems the cruises leave SJ too early to be able to see the bio bay in the twilight or dark. Any suggestions?

If your departure port is elsewhere (e.g. Miami) and San Juan is only a stop, it is not doable.

As previous poster stated, if your departure port is San Juan, by all means give yourself as much extra time as possible to explore the island.

Archived